Acne outbreak - give me all your fixes / old wives tales to banish the spots by Tuesday!!

(21 Posts)
StephenKatz Thu 24-Mar-16 17:55:46

My period has decided to arrive early and has brought it's monthly dose hormonal acne with it! I start a new job on Tuesday and don't want to be referred to as 'the new girl with the spots' (yes, over reacting is part of my PMT too!) Is there ANYTHING I can do??

thatsn0tmyname Thu 24-Mar-16 17:57:51

Avoid toothpaste on spots. It will stop off the skin's top layer and make it all weepy. Try witch hazel.

LazyDoll Thu 24-Mar-16 18:09:20

Sudocrem?
Do. Not. Pick!!blush
Maybe try and wear as little make up as poss from now until Tuesday to let it heal quickly!
Good Luck with your new job flowers

U2HasTheEdge Thu 24-Mar-16 20:08:59

blister plasters!

Will take away the redness at least. If they have heads stick a pin through a bit of if then stick the blister plaster on and it will draw out a lot of puss. For headless ones it doesn't work quite as well but it does help.

I have to work tomorrow, I have 4 cystic spots on my chin and a huge one at the end of my nose and I'm dreading going in because of it. I ran out of blister plasters when this one come up today.

Derm appointment soon though thank god.

U2HasTheEdge Thu 24-Mar-16 20:10:05

If you can't find small blister plasters just cut a big one up into bits.

These type of ones here

www.compeed.co.uk/compeed-footcare/blister-medium-plasters

LaConnerie Thu 24-Mar-16 20:10:34

Absolutely yes to sudocrem. Apply a thin layer morning and night - it is amazing stuff!

CatsAreTwats Thu 24-Mar-16 20:17:31

Grapeseed oil. Sounds weird, but I've recently started using it instead of moisturiser and the difference in my skin is amazing! Apart from that, it makes my spots fade SO much quicker than usual. You know those massive hard spots under the skin that are so sore?! Well, before I'd tried the oil before, I put it on overnight and by the morning it was almost gone!

StephenKatz Thu 24-Mar-16 20:22:06

Thank you guys! Yes they're the headless cystic ones, I got some lotion from the GP a while back which has helped a fair bit but I still get around four massive ones every month! I have some Sudecreme somewhere, I'll try that but if not I'll try the other suggestions!

midnightmoomoo Thu 24-Mar-16 20:45:00

If they feel inflamed try holding an ice cube (wrapped in a hankie or similar) against them gently to help calm. Germoline is great too, it's got something in it for inflammation as well as to heal.

InsufficientlyCaffeinated Thu 24-Mar-16 20:48:20

Oxi with benzoyl peroxide cream every night before bed, generous layer. Only wash with water & mild soap rest of the time. No make-up until it clears. Only thing that works effectively for me, clears them up fairly quickly

ProjectGainsborough Thu 24-Mar-16 23:34:35

Avoid dairy. It always makes my hormonal spots worse.

toastandmarmiterocks Fri 25-Mar-16 08:55:26

Coconut oil. Someone at work recommended and I scoffed. Then I tried it, fantastic!

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Fri 25-Mar-16 09:02:16

Benzoyl peroxide e.g acnecide from a pharmacy or to take down the swelling a small dab of hydrocortisone cream.

CoconutAmericano Fri 25-Mar-16 09:22:58

Yes i have woken up with yet another humdinger ( just been diagnosed with adult acne, great!).
My process is as follows :
Started earlier with my topical antibiotic and then I lashed the whole area out if it with 5% acnecide from Boots. Then in a while I'll put some la roche posay effeclar duo plus on to help with the redness, followed by effeclar h to put some soothing hydration back into my skin.

It will be a long drawn out process which will be repeated this evening (no work till tuesday, this spot is not coming with me). Im so so sick of this battle.

hollieberrie Fri 25-Mar-16 10:18:09

Sudocreme. I'm really run down at the moment (cough, cold, mouth ulcers and lots of spots - lovely..).
Last night i covered my whole face in a thin layer of Sudocreme. This morning, skin is looking much better smile It isnt a miracle fix but it really does take the redness out and help large spots to shrink.

StephenKatz Sat 26-Mar-16 09:42:16

Thanks for all the tips! Sudecreme is working well, spots aren't gone but the inflammation has, so hopefully by Tuesday you won't be able to tell!

Seriously, you'd think I should be sat here worrying I haven't forgotten how to do my job in my six years out, but no, I have to focus on my friggin acne instead! hmm

dragonsarebest Sat 26-Mar-16 13:44:40

Wash with hibiscrub, use blister plasters, don't pick, keep moisturising, remember that hormonal spots usually clear as quickly as they appear (when not prodded etc). Good luck for Tuesday!

slinkysaluki Sat 26-Mar-16 16:52:21

My first ever post being a long term lurker. Another vote for Sudocreme. My 18 year old son uses it on his shoulders where he gets quite bad acne. Despite me buying all sorts its the only thing that has made a big difference. I use it if I feel spot about to erupt and they totally disappear.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Sat 26-Mar-16 17:01:42

Does your son put the Sudocreme all over his shoulders Slinky or just dabbed on spots? My eldest son gets spots on his shoulders too.

slinkysaluki Sat 26-Mar-16 17:25:41

Ilostit he puts a thin layer all over the area honestly it's the only thing that's worked after I've spent quite a lot on La Roche Posay products and others. His acne was quite bad with nasty yellow heads and pus and the Sudocreme has really dried it up. Give it a try.

notagiraffe Sat 26-Mar-16 17:31:19

Freederm Rapid - small blue tube - costs about a five r(make sur you pick up the Rapid action one as it looks almost the same as the normal one. brings down all redness and swelling in a few hours. DC swear by it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now