can you help me choose?

(13 Posts)
keeponkeepinon Sun 20-Mar-16 08:31:03

http://www.carashoes.co.uk/item.asp?id=2858

https://www.hudsonshoes.com/horrigan-beige-suede-boot.html

https://www.hudsonshoes.com/encke-coal-boot.html

I have coveted a pair of Hudson boots for ages but been offput by the leather soles and worrying about them wearing out and spoiling if they get wet. I'm thinking if I want them that much I'll just get a rubber sole stuck on at Timpsons or something.

I'm wavering between the Horrigan and Encke....I have a pair of horrigans in distressed beige to try and love them, but I'd also like to try the Enckes in either beige/brown or maybe even black. I'm a brown leather girl at heart so this is a departure. Maybe they could go with dresses and black opaques?

Or these little numbers from Cara? I've never heard of the brand before so no idea what they're like.
Thanks!

puglife15 Sun 20-Mar-16 08:40:11

My husband has a pair of Hudson's and they've lasted years. My best friend has some too and loves hers - in fact I think she has the Horrigan style or very similar.

Cara are fairly well made IMO and comfortable.

My favourite style is Horrigan but that's partly because I find that colour more versatile in spring/warmer months.

ShutTheFuckUpBarbara Sun 20-Mar-16 08:47:42

I would go with the Horrigan too. It's a lovely colour and you can probably style these boots in lots of different ways

keeponkeepinon Sun 20-Mar-16 09:41:25

Pug - does your husband have ones with leather soles? Did he put rubber soles on? I wonder if they get too wet they might warp and be ruined. Or I have visions of big holes wearing through but maybe I am overthinking it! I'd want them to last years and years! I can see the beige ones being worn with summer ddresses and rolled up jeans which is my everyday look.
Think I might try the cara ones too for a boot that can be worn with tights. I got some little black ones in the sales but I'm not entirely happy with them. They may go back. They have a tassel on and I feel a bit of a fool in them with it swinging in all directions!

keeponkeepinon Sun 20-Mar-16 20:50:18

if anyone has tried both the enckes and horrigans, how are they for ankle width? The horrigans, whilst not at all tight, have quite a nice shape from the side as they kind of nip in.
I have not tried the enckes and its hard to tell how these will compare, in some pics the opening looks reallywide and others Iit looks quite neat. I'd rather it was more fitted than baggy.

puglife15 Tue 22-Mar-16 05:04:01

Yes DH"S are leather soled... He's had them resoled twice since he bought them 9 years ago. He wore them today!

honeylou42 Tue 22-Mar-16 05:52:56

The Coal ones are lovely smile

keeponkeepinon Tue 22-Mar-16 07:12:22

pug - may I ask roughly how much Iit costs to have them resoled? I was thinking that rubber sole tops would save the leather sole and they'd be cheaper to replace. I'm not sure though.

margaritasbythesea Tue 22-Mar-16 07:15:20

It costs me £30 to have my Hudson boots resoled in leather and £20 in rubber. They have lasted 3 years and now have a crack un the leather on the toe. I've not treated them well though.

keeponkeepinon Tue 22-Mar-16 07:15:23

And still unsure about the width round the ankle of the enckes. There's nowhere to just go and try some on as the usual shoe shops like schuh don't seem to stock them.i think I'd have to travel 20+ miles to the big city and I can't just do that easily what with the kiddiwinks.

Floisme Tue 22-Mar-16 07:38:00

I've not tried any of them on in real life so don't know about fit or comfort but for looks, I'd go for ,the horrigans - I think the grey ones are really lovely. I'm not as keen on the enckes - there's a bit too much going on with all the straps for my liking. The Cara ones are nice but I wouldn't love them like I would the horrigans.

I agree a leather sole sounds bonkers. It would seriously annoy me to pay all that money and then have to shell out more for new soles but I assume you've factored in the cost and sometimes you need to follow your heart.

keeponkeepinon Tue 22-Mar-16 09:22:40

Yes thats exactly how I feel about it flo! All that money to have them resoled. Luckily I found the beige horrigans much cheaper than full price. I love them I have just been dithering over whether it is worth soling them etc. It even suggests it on the website! ! They are so classic though, and when you look at the details they do have a certain edge.

I'm not much of a bells and whistles type and am not sure if I'd be keen on tjose buckles on the back of tge enckes irl. Maybe if they were beige but unsure about black?
The caras are very simple and classic and would be very versatile. Plus they were an absolute bargain! Beige horrigans for casual and caras for smart?

keeponkeepinon Tue 22-Mar-16 14:52:05

Oh yes. Took the horrigans to the cobblers and he put a rubber sole on for under a tenner!
And the cara clippers arrived and they are cracking little shoes. Very similar to sam edelman pettys but cost a lot less. I must admit I got these for a song so very pleased!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now