I'm in a top rut, please help me escape!

(11 Posts)
Stevie77 Fri 18-Mar-16 11:59:58

I always gravitate towards t-shirty tops. I have dozens. But I'm not a teenager anymore, in fact I am thirty flipping eight, with two kids and I'm bored and want a change. I also have no vision, so I see something in the shop or online and I've no idea how I'm going to wear it or what with.

I bought two Vero Moda blouse/shirts recently, in an attempt to change my t-shirty ways, and both went back due to being see-through and unflattering. I'm more of a pear shape, size 10-12 and the boxy fit did nothing but make me look bigger and nothing like as cool as it looked in the model online envy

So where do I go next?

DelphiniumBlue Fri 18-Mar-16 12:06:45

Well , with a pear shape, you probably look good in fitted tops ( aka t-shirts) so possibly stay with stretchy, fitted shape,but upgrade - try different necklines, and brands like Ted Baker.
Liberty / uniqlo collaboration have some nice designs, v reasonably priced but you'd need to be quick.

IWantToLiveInPawnee Fri 18-Mar-16 12:10:42

Shirts are definitely the way forward, you just need a more fitted shape. Have a look at HM, new look and river island.

Go for one with a pattern, if it's silky, it will be less see-through.

I like sweatshirts too, thin, longer lines and not with logos on , Topshop have some nice ones in.

Nowt wrong with tees, think you just have to go for a looser fabric but with shape. I love Whistles and French Commection ones.

Always wear with flattering skinny jeans (in Mid-dark denim colours or grey and black).

When looking on/line, take note of what the model is wearing overall. If you like it, style yourself that way.

Stevie77 Fri 18-Mar-16 14:26:48

Thanks both.

I suppose I do look good in fitted tops hence the t-shirt glut, it's just that when dressed casually it doesn't look as 'put together' as other tops which is what's furling my desire for a change....

Willsee Fri 18-Mar-16 17:46:21

Sounds like they suit you.
What about thin cotton jumpers? Cowl necks are easy to wear too.
Scarves? I always feel smarter with a scarf on.
Necklace?

Jmangel Fri 18-Mar-16 19:56:14

What about a jersey blazer over the t shirt to make it look sharper - New Look are doing a great one at mo for 19.99 in navy, black, white or nude pink. At that price, you can treat them like a cardigan and you can bung them in the wash. Could make you love your t shirts again?

KanyesVest Fri 18-Mar-16 20:10:43

I'm trying to upgrade my t-shirts too. I've a couple of linen type tops instead which feel a bit more put together. I saw some in primark too during the week, nice variations on the theme.

Stevie77 Fri 18-Mar-16 20:47:44

Had a bit of an online trawl today after posting and saw a couple of upgraded T like tops in the sales so will order those. I just need to stop looking and start ordering!

Willsee I'm pretty good with accessories but may eBay some unwanted jewellery soon and get some newer more edgy stuff to replace.

Jmangel had the same thought today after posting. Was mentally going through my wardrobe and I do have some blazers that I tend to forget about but regardless, I could do with an update. What's the New Look ones fit like? Size up or down?

I like the look of the linen, Kanye, may give those a go - thanks.

Jmangel Fri 18-Mar-16 21:39:19

I'd say true to size - quite long line and unstructured - you don't want anything too formal. Maybe size up one as often the looser the blazer, the cooler it looks.

KanyesVest Sat 19-Mar-16 18:44:22

I was in h&m today. There were loads of slightly-nicer-than-a-tshirt options.

Stevie77 Sun 20-Mar-16 16:39:53

Ill have a look, thanks. In the meantime, I've ordered a top from TK Maxx and two from Watehouse so fingers crossed they'll be nice IRL too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now