what helps severely dry and rough hands??

(90 Posts)
Sixinabed Thu 17-Mar-16 19:29:57

My hands are getting steadily worse. The ends of my fingers especially are really rough, to the point where the dc complain that they are scratchy.

And where they are so dry and covered with fine lines they seem to absorb dirt that no amount of washing, soaking or scrubbing will get off blush

I always moisturise several times a day, and before bed anyway and occasionally use an oily homemade sugar scrub which works for about an hour. I bought some cotton gloves and started scrubbing, then moisturising and finally slathering with Vaseline and putting on the gloves for the night. Have been doing this a few nights a week for 3 weeks but if anything they seem to be getting worse.

Does anyone have any tips?

nam207 Thu 17-Mar-16 19:34:27

If you're in a hard water area try getting a limescale filter for the water inlet at your house, helps with cleaning too.

I've also found the body shop hemp cream good. Flexitol too but that has a really strong smell.

HoggleHoggle Thu 17-Mar-16 19:38:02

I used Kiehl's Uktimate Strength Hand Salve for a while and it really helped.

Sixinabed Thu 17-Mar-16 19:39:57

We do have hard water, but are planning to move this yr so chances of persuading dp to faff with lime scale filters are sadly slim.

Thanks for moisturiser recommends.

It's really getting me down, I can hardly bear to touch any fabrics because they catch on my rough finger tips sad

lamusic Thu 17-Mar-16 19:40:29

Use E45 for a few weeks or some aveeno

MooningIntoTheAbyss Thu 17-Mar-16 19:41:38

I often reach for Nivea. The blue tub.

I find it really soaks in well.
I end up with very dry hands from the sheer volume of hand washing/nappy changing/washing up etc that goes along with 2 pre school DC!
This usually has them repaired in a day or 2.

DontBuyANewMumCashmere Thu 17-Mar-16 19:43:26

Watching with interest.
I have awful hands atm, knuckles cracked and bleeding sometimes. I thought it was due to new child but interestingly new child came at same time as house move to a hard water area; never thought of that before.
I try to apply moisturiser after hand washing in reality I only put it on once or twice a day but last night I had to fill up the dishwasher salt and my cracked hands stung for ages.
So I'm a bit more keen to sort it out now...

guerre Thu 17-Mar-16 19:43:35

Have you got a new baby? Are you washing your hands loads? I remember struggling so badly when my children were newborns.
Lots of people swear by Neutrogena (it's v small bottle, with a Norwegian flag on) but it made my hands umbearably itchy. Worked for lots of my friends though.
For me, I used Burt's bees hand salve, it comes in a yellow tin. Made a huge difference.
When I'm flush, I use clarins hand and nail cream- that is the business.

guerre Thu 17-Mar-16 19:44:56

Oh, those cracks between the fingers! I feel for you don't buy, they're so painful and itchy.

Twinklestein Thu 17-Mar-16 19:45:25

Vaseline is horrible stuff. I find it actually dries up skin in the long run.

Try Body Shop Hemp Hand Protector, Weleda Skin Food, Neutrogena or L'Occitane Shea butter moisturiser (expensive).

StitchesInTime Thu 17-Mar-16 19:49:33

I find the Body Shop Hemp hand cream works very well on my hands. Much better than Vaseline.

BrambleandCuthbert Thu 17-Mar-16 19:50:23

Do you use liquid soap? My hands are much improved by (mostly) using bar soap - Unperfumed. I use aveeno to moisturise. Regular hand creams, even Norwegian formula, which I think is good, don't touch the sides. This helps keep the cracking and bleeding to a just about bearable minimum. Oh, and I try to wear gloves when outside because they're always worse if they get red with cold.

SweetAdeline Thu 17-Mar-16 19:51:07

Dontbuy I developed a sensitivity to one of the ingredients in baby wipes (even the supposedly sensitive/fragrance free ones). I spent 4years (2 DC) with blistered, cracked, bleeding fingers until I finally saw a consultant dermatologist who suggested swapping to water wipes. I hadn't tried them because I thought they were a gimmick but my hands improved dramatically from the day I switched to them.
I'm a bit evangelical about it, sorry, but it seems so obvious in hindsight and might be worth a try.

MorrisZapp Thu 17-Mar-16 19:52:39

Body Shop hemp is the business, don't be tempted to buy any other body shop handcream, it's only the hemp one that's miraculous.

Buzzardbird Thu 17-Mar-16 19:54:44

Another vote for Body Shop Hemp, I find the petroleum based creams such as Vaseline actually make the problem worse. I also get on really well with Neal's Yard and Aveeno.

anotherdayanothersquabble Thu 17-Mar-16 19:55:06

Wash your hands with something gentle, no SLS, possibly oil based. If you use washing up liquid, choose an Eco one and use gloves as muh as possible.

Feed your skin from the inside, coconut oil, avocados, collagen from bones (make stock and use it in the place of water, to cook rice etc.)

CutYourHairAndGetAJob Thu 17-Mar-16 19:57:40

I came on to say the body shop hemp handcream but I see everyone has beaten me to it. It's the only thing I still buy from there.

Sixinabed Thu 17-Mar-16 19:59:03

Don't have a new baby but I do have 3 pre-schoolers, toddler still in nappies and twin 4yo who still need help with wiping so a lot of handwAshing happens during the day. Which is why I'm so revolted and upset about the dirt that just will not wash off. I worry that people must think I don't wash my hands but I really really do.

I think I'll try the body shop hemp one! And switch to bar soap. Food tips great - thanks grin

HorraceTheOtter Thu 17-Mar-16 20:02:06

My hands are just the same. I have had much success with gloves on whenever outside, aveeno after every hand wash, large dollop of almond oil rubbed in last thing at night, covered with socks - though I suspect cotton gloves would be more sensible. If I do this, my hands are on the not great side of normal, if not, a cracked, red mess.

Wolfiefan Thu 17-Mar-16 20:05:15

I used Gloves in a Bottle when DD was a baby and I had dry and cracking hands. It's not a handcream but a barrier lotion.
Handcream. Used to use Neutrogena. Now Cien SOS hand concentrate. Gloves in a Bottle on. Then more handcream.
Overnight Hemp handcream and oil mixed together. Cotton gloves.

Toffeelatteplease Thu 17-Mar-16 20:15:43

When kids were little and in nappies in cold weather my hands got so bad they would bleed. Neutrogena sorted them out. Awesome stuff

Topsyloulou Thu 17-Mar-16 20:15:46

I use Aveeno during the day, the blue one if my hands are really bad. I also use Soap & Glory endless glove with cotton gloves at night a couple of nights a week which really helps. Any really thick moisturiser works with the gloves. I'd steer clear of the Vaseline as it doesn't really moisturise. My mum has awful hands in the winter, cracked & bleeding. She swears by Lotil. You can buy it in boots or if you get free / pre paid prescriptions you can get it on prescription. I used to use it but my hands respond much better to Aveeno. Hope they heal up soon.

WellTidy Thu 17-Mar-16 20:22:31

I find anti bacterial liquid soaps incredibly drying. I've switched to bar soaps too, and they're so much better. I'm using Dove, but only becUse it was on offer. It's helped enormously.

The hemp hand cream from body shop is also good, but I do use it about four times a day to keep the cracks at bay.

When my hand have healed, I like the rose fragranced Shea butter hand cream from l'occitane. But you will need to heal them first.

I sympathise. I've had this a few times before and it was awful. I snagged a few of my more delicate clothes and bras, and it was painful at times.

Solobo Thu 17-Mar-16 20:26:53

I have had this problem on or off for years. Literally from being a child.
First off there normally a trigger, mine range from:
Some soaps (much better with perfume free soap with moisturiser.)
Some dishcloths (the sponge ones ruin me)
Most washing up liquid/cleaning fluids
Wet wipes etc
Latex gloves

Second off if it is really bad (cracked and v sore) the best thing I have ever used is bepanthan the nappy cream. I slather it on. AMAZING. Changed my cracked hands life!

Lastly drinking enough water.

CrumpetsAndGin Thu 17-Mar-16 20:30:46

Another vote for Aveeno - magical stuff. Takes a couple of days to see the change though so do persist.

If you get to the awful cracks on the ends of fingers that bleed stage, at bedtime reach for either left over nipple cream or flexitol heel balm, which is intended for cracked feet but (after initially stinging like mad) really heels the cracks quickly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now