A really good dentist in Cardiff or West Wales?

(9 Posts)
SirVixofVixHall Thu 17-Mar-16 11:04:49

Anyone have one? My dd doesn't like our current dentist, and I've also heard quite a few negative things about her, so I need to find a gentle child friendly dentist for the dcs and a good one for me, hopefully the same person, but not essential. I am nervous of dentists anyway, and I get stressed about my teeth, so I would like to find someone sympathetic as well as technically good.

mejon Thu 17-Mar-16 12:40:06

We're with Eastgate Dentists in Aberystwyth. They have a couple of young dentists who are gentle and calm and take their time to explain the procedures. I know you're a bit further down the coast but Aber is nearer than Cardiff. Can't help with Cardiff suggestions as it's 7 years since we left.

GinThief Thu 17-Mar-16 12:44:35

We use the Centre for Dentistry in Sainsburies off Newport road. All the dentist's I've seen have been friendly and understanding :-)

adagio Thu 17-Mar-16 12:58:55

Private or NHS?

I have been with the same dentist since may first teeth came through (I'm now over 30) and she is awesome, but changed from NHS to private a few years ago so now have to keep paying monthly to stay with her. She now also has my DH on the books - he hates the dentist and is needle phobic so before I introduced him he had tried loads of 'allegedly good with nervous patients' type dentists in Cardiff (and generally never went back after one visit!!). He is fine with her and now goes regularly.

www.white-smile.net

SirVixofVixHall Fri 18-Mar-16 09:37:00

I'm used to private, getting an NHS dentist seems nigh on impossible. Aber not too much a schlep, as you say mejon, nearer than Cardiff. Cardiff is two and a half hours away but my brother is there so we do go every now and again. I have possible odd nerves in that I tend to need extra anaesthetic for fillings - I think Dd1 may have the same thing. She also has weak teeth. Dd2 hasn't needed anything done yet, she is nearly 9, but she will definitely need braces so it would be good to find someone who is really up on the latest treatments for all of us. I am mulling over having braces again.

mejon Fri 18-Mar-16 12:59:43

Snap - have a DB in Cardiff/Newport and need extra anaesthetic as I can usually still feel the drilling/filling one just the one dose! Our surgery is equipped with all the latest gadgetry - and I'm assuming that they're up on the latest treatments as a couple of the dentists there are fairly recently qualified. DDs have a check-up next week, youngest at 5 has yet to open her mouth properly but they are very patient with her. I think there's a long wait for orthodontic treatment here though - in fact I'm almost certain that you need to travel to Cardiff for it (here's hoping none of mine will need it!).

SirVixofVixHall Fri 18-Mar-16 13:30:27

Yes. I'm bracing myself <hahaha> for regular trips to Cardiff to see an ortho. Although friend's dd was dealt with in Carmarthen and apparently Swansea has a good orthodontist. DD2 has a small jaw and her teeth are really overcrowded, to the point that they are very hard to clean really well, particularly at the bottom. I'm worried that she will get decay before she is old enough for orthodondics . Our current dentist said aged 12/13 ish, but I remember reading about Gwyneth Paltrow taking her daughter to the orthodontist at 8- so should I get a second opinion on that?

mejon Fri 18-Mar-16 18:12:57

Ooo not sure. I was 16 or so when I got braces I think but I remember a friend here mentioning that her dentist suggested her DS got 'in the system' sooner rather than later (he was around 7 or 8 at the time I think) as the waiting list to see anyone is so long. No harm in getting a 2nd opinion though.

Yddraigoldragon Fri 18-Mar-16 18:29:39

Try Ian hooper on Charles street in Cardiff, they are fab. Private but denplan. 02920 230185

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now