Black work trouser search

(23 Posts)
pocketsized Thu 17-Mar-16 07:56:59

Right, I need help!

I am trying to capsualise (not sure that's a word...) my work wardrobe and I need a pair of wear with everything smartish black trousers.

I have a pair of slightly stretchy, high waisted skinny trousers from primark. They have a completely flat front, and very wide elastic at the sides. They are a fabulous fit, but they haven't washed at all well (surprise surprise). I really want something just like them, but better quality.

Does anyone have any ideas? A wobbly mum tum rules out anything with a thin/low waist band, to suit my shape they need to be skinny and to be suitable for work need to be smarter than leggings/jeggings.

Willing to invest for the right thing.

Any ideas wise ones?

MyLocal Thu 17-Mar-16 07:59:17

I would go to a large m&s, my mother is a pain in the ass over black trousers and I have spent many a miserable hour in there looking over their 20 different styles of smart black pants.

I am sure you will find something in the right style, size and leg length.

ceeveebee Thu 17-Mar-16 08:08:11

Banana republic lightweight wool trousers are great quality but a bit pricy at £70 ish. Gap are also good and am sure you will get a discount code if you waited!

magpie17 Thu 17-Mar-16 08:22:58

It depends on your shape. I am an 'Apple' and every pair of black trousers in the world seems designed for a 'pear', but I did get nice high waisted, black, straight cut trousers in New Look for less than £20. I bought three pairs!

pocketsized Thu 17-Mar-16 09:21:36

I'm an hourglass, that's turning a bit apple!

I'm finding it tricky to fit things round my hips and tummy.

The banana Republic ones look nice, but I don't really want dry clean. I think I need to try a bigger m&s than out local one maybe.

knowler Thu 17-Mar-16 10:38:58

Baukjen have exactly what you're looking for - the Neath trousers. i've just bought a pair (jersey, tapered, ankle length) and I would literally wear them to any event - work, going out, casual... i love them. £55 full price, but get a code.

badfurday Thu 17-Mar-16 11:06:12

Gap always have good trousers. The modern boot and skinny are good.

jaws5 Thu 17-Mar-16 12:53:01

I am looking for the same thing! badfurday do the Baukjen trouserscome up big or true to size? other Baukjen items can be huge!

SpeckleDust Thu 17-Mar-16 13:01:52

I have several pairs in different colours of Eden jeggings from Dorothy Parkins which I wear almost all the time for work. In the colder months I wear them with thin knit jumpers and in the summer with blouses/short sleeved tops.

They have quite a bit of stretch in them so are very comfortable.

BikeRunSki Thu 17-Mar-16 13:05:39

My best work trousers ever came from Sainsbury's. Stretchy, slim leg, less than £20.

MamaAwayOnBusiness Thu 17-Mar-16 13:08:40

I've had these from Cos and have been wearing them a lot in the past year
www.cosstores.com/gb/Women/Trousers/Slim-fit_trousers/46887-33959378.1#c-85348

They hold their shape beautifully, although I must admit that the black is starting to fade, but they get washed every week.

They don't have waist, just a strip of elastic on the inside and a zip and a button on the side so they fit nicely to your body with no bulging bits. I wear them with loose jumpers or shirts and they're always comfortable and flattering.

MajesticWhine Thu 17-Mar-16 13:16:08

I just bought two pairs of these in the black and grey, from Gap, and they are great. A bit stretchy and forgiving. Mid to high rise, very comfortable. Don't need a belt. I don't dress very smartly for work, just not jeans, so for me they're perfect.

pocketsized Thu 17-Mar-16 13:18:35

Lots of ideas, thank you! Off to look at them all and um and ahh and be my usual indecisive self!

zgaze Thu 17-Mar-16 13:18:46

I'm the same shape and have tried / bought everywhere and shockingly the very best trousers I own were £9 from Matalan, they wash and wear beautifully, have a good cut and are thick slightly stretchy material.

jaws5 Thu 17-Mar-16 13:25:29

knowler the question about the Baukjen trousers was for you, sorry! what's the sizing like?

Runningupthathill82 Thu 17-Mar-16 13:27:48

Others have suggested Gap, and they're right.
Best ones I've ever had are their 7/8 length cigarette trousers. They're really good quality,not that horrible shiny fabric that "work" trousers are often made from. You'll need to size down though.

Also, reading this thread, I'm a bit amazed that people can get away with wearing jeggings to work!

iwannadancewithsomebody Thu 17-Mar-16 13:30:22

I like monsoon trousers for work.

If they fade a bit I stick them in some black dye. They haven't lost their shape

RaisingSteam Thu 17-Mar-16 15:19:53

Tkmaxx have some trousers in a brand called ecru iirc, they are very good quality. Basically slim stretch cotton in navy and black.

hollieberrie Thu 17-Mar-16 16:52:34

GAP are my go to for work trousers. I have and love these:
www.gap.co.uk/browse/product.do?cid=1017751&vid=1&pid=000349597000

But think theyre sold out in a lot of sizes now. The bi-stretch skinny pants look v similar though.

We can wear jeggings at my work too smile I guess it depends on the sector. I love being able to dress casual every day.

MarvinKMooney Thu 17-Mar-16 16:57:52

I second the Gap trousers that majestic linked to. I bought a black pair last week - mid rise, flat front, flattering of bum and thigh. Love them. And on the day I wore them, two people asked if I had lost weight. Am off to get them in more colours!

WellTidy Thu 17-Mar-16 17:02:16

Banana republic Sloan fit slim leg trousers are a hood fit for an Appley Pear.

ninnysma Thu 17-Mar-16 17:14:32

I love those cos trousers MamaAwayOnBusiness
Has anyone got a cos code?

Kennington Thu 17-Mar-16 20:54:09

Agree the Cos recommended are great as are the banana Sloan ones but the latter need to be sized down as they stretch a lot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now