Cost of ring re sizing

(14 Posts)
NNalreadyinuse Tue 15-Mar-16 18:11:11

Sorry all, this is a boring question.
I have a thick platinum wedding ring which is too big and needs to be made smaller. It is engraved with a pattern. Does anyone know roughly what this would cost? I'd think it is not entirely straight forward because of the engraving.
Just want to get an idea before I take it to the jeweller.

dimots Tue 15-Mar-16 18:12:33

I had a plain one done for about £20. This was 15 years ago though.

Chottie Tue 15-Mar-16 18:15:06

DH had his wedding ring resized at the weekend. It was enlarged by 1.5 sizes (gold added, not stretched) and engraved with our names and wedding date and it cost £75.00

Nospringflower Tue 15-Mar-16 19:29:00

I gave just had a ring down sized 1 1/2 sizes and that is costing me £30 which I thought was quite a lot!

mangocoveredlamb Tue 15-Mar-16 19:36:12

I had three done recently and it was £107

Labradorlover01 Tue 15-Mar-16 20:05:34

I got mine done in July it was around £20-30 mark as I recall

8FencingWire Tue 15-Mar-16 20:08:41

Had a silver one made smaller, £10.

runningbug123 Tue 15-Mar-16 20:14:24

I had my wedding and engagement resized 5 sizes smaller and paid £60 per ring in HSamuel. The engagement ring was a easy job but my wedding ring had spacings of a pattern diamond pattern diamond and they did a really good job.

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Tue 15-Mar-16 20:22:39

If its a continuous pattern then it might not be feasible to make smaller.

The cost for wiping and re- engraving the ring could be £££. That's assuming that the engraving can be replicated.

It all really depends on how much smaller you are going. Impossible to say without seeing the actual ring and measuring your finger.

NNalreadyinuse Tue 15-Mar-16 20:25:51

Thanks everyone. The ring is much too big and will need to come down several sizes. Am not sure exactly by how much. I am concerned about the pattern but am prepared to have it dipped and redone if necessary.

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Tue 15-Mar-16 20:40:29

It's not just dipped- it is lasered off and then reapplied. Hence the £££. The 'dip' is just a Polish.

Get a quote, but you might be better off seeing if they can take it as an exchange for a smaller ring.

When we are selling platinum rings with a continuous engraving we have to get the sizing perfect (on pain of death) as the cheapest resolution for us is to order a new ring in the correct size.

LazyCake Tue 15-Mar-16 20:52:11

Had a gold ring made several sizes smaller for £40 at an independent high street jeweller. That was 4 years ago.

NNalreadyinuse Tue 15-Mar-16 21:56:30

Can't swop it for another ring. It is very sentimental to me. It is a shame that I can't wear it. Will take it to a jeweller and see what they say.

midnightmoomoo Wed 16-Mar-16 08:04:10

My mum had her 24ct gold ring made bigger a few weeks ago and it cost £75.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now