Any tips on how to not look as wrecked as I feel please?

(12 Posts)
MartinRohdesBellybuttonFluff Tue 15-Mar-16 17:40:57

I've had a couple of stressful events (DC's health, my own anxiety, insomnia etc) over the last few years.

When I look in the mirror I see a woman staring back at me with heavy bloodshot eyes (complete with bags), big frown lines and cystic acne (I think (big sore spots on neck and chin that never come to a head if that's what it is)).

My makeup is not going on correctly, I just look like a wrecked person with slap on.

Besides a facelift please can you offer any advice? I hate what I see in the mirror and it seems to have crept up on me very suddenly.

Thank you S&B gurus flowers

Pinkcadillac Tue 15-Mar-16 18:06:03

Hi, I'm on the same boat (sadly)

I'm using Frownies, which I buy from Amazon and are amazing for frown lines. On my face I'm using Alpha Hydros souffle which is improving it a little but un your case a BHA exfoliant or salicylic acid may be better because of your acne. I have tried Stratum C Menopause Spot Relief Salicylic Acid on my neck where I get the odd cyst (again Amazon) and it really works.

Re. the eye bags, I am yet to find something that works... I am considering tear troughs fillers, doing research at the moment.

Turbinaria Tue 15-Mar-16 18:10:50

A colleague had a make up lesson at Selfridges on Oxford street she looked amazing afterwards like she'd had a really good nights sleep.

LazyCake Tue 15-Mar-16 21:12:33

I have found that using salicylic acid pads everyday really helps my acne prone skin. I use the Clearasil Superfruits Refreshing Pads at the moment (Caroline Hirons says these are ok as a cut-price acid toner). I have also used Stridex Daily Care Acne Pads. These are more powerful - very effective but somewhat drying. I also oil cleanse. Felt a bit counter-intuitive when I started, but then I realised that it takes oil to remove oil. Water based cleansers just don't cut it IMO.

Other ways of dealing with cystic acne... I found taking the contraceptive pill Dianette to be very effective (it's an androgen blocker so reduces oil production), but appreciate this won't be right for everybody. I have heard that other people have had good results from going dairy-free, using sulphur soap or retin-a. Retin-a will help with lines too.

I'm also struggling with frown lines (it's crap having pimples and wrinkles at the same time, isn't it?!). Haven't yet found a solution but have seen some modest improvements with facial massage and just trying to be more aware of when I am scowling (which is often grin) so I can relax my face. Still early days though. If you find a solution, please post it on here!!

creampie Wed 16-Mar-16 11:26:13

Have you looked at the Caroline hierons website?

MartinRohdesBellybuttonFluff Wed 16-Mar-16 11:52:35

Thanks for the replies and tips.

Regarding the salicylic acid, do you just use it on the actual spots or all over your face / neck?

Last night I did a few small things that I hope will make a difference. I coloured my hair which has helped liven my palour up a bit. Then I dug out and slept on a silk pillowcase (MN recommendation).

This morning I used CC cream instead of foundation (which was claggy and sitting in my lines despite regular exfoliation) and took a little more care with my eyeshadow/liner (had a quick glance at a tutorial on YouTube yesterday, need to go back and learn more). I just can't seem to do my eyes right still though, I'm unsure whether the colours don't suit me or maybe I'm doing my eyeliner wrong. Again this seems to have happened suddenly.

If anyone else has tips please can you post here? Thank you!

Awholelottanosy Wed 16-Mar-16 11:56:02

What about going getting a facial? There's lots of treatments now that can make you look rejuvenated!

andadietcoke Wed 16-Mar-16 11:56:27

Pixi glow tonic or First Aid Beauty facial pads perk my skin up, and Liquid Gold makes me look like I've had a good night's sleep. I have the REN eye lift thing that Sali Hughes raved about but it doesn't work so well for me. Depending on your budget Sunday Riley's Luna facial oil is amazing. But the biggest difference for me is cleansing properly - twice, with a flannel. And drinking lots of water.

LazyCake Wed 16-Mar-16 12:46:39

I use the salicylic pads all over, as I would any other acid toner. My spottiest area is my chin, so I apply them there first, so that patch of skin gets the most product.

Re: Eye makeup... I recently did a beginner's make up tutorial at MAC, which was really worthwhile. It was £50, redeemable against products. I found out I have been using my eyeliner brush back to front, and looking into the mirror from the totally wrong angle!

fiorentina Wed 16-Mar-16 13:27:25

I felt exactly like you a few months ago. I used the pixi glow wipes and they hugely helped my cystic spots and complexion to glow more again. I also started drinking more water and less caffeine plus tried to reduce sugar. Had a hair cut and sorted my brows that had been neglected. The eye bags haven't disappeared totally but I like to think I look better.
Plus I've been wearing less black and grey which certainly didn't help. I bought a few new bits to cheer up my overall 'look'.

MartinRohdesBellybuttonFluff Wed 16-Mar-16 14:41:27

*pallor

Pinkcadillac Wed 16-Mar-16 17:03:24

The Stratum C salicylic I'm using is quite strong. I apply it with a cotton bud only on the spots. You get a powdery pink residue so I use it only at night after cleansing.

Talking about cleaning I am also saving towards a Clarisonic. When I cleanse well I can feel the difference so I'm hoping the Clarisonic will be a good investment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now