Lost my way with makeup- look like a drag queen!

(10 Posts)
itwillbebetter Tue 15-Mar-16 10:38:03

I recently asked for advice on foundation as I'm having problems, but it's made me realise as I'm mid forties my whole makeup looks wrong.
I've always prided myself on having a knack with makeup but as I've aged I've lost my way. It seems my eyes have become smaller, my chin bigger and colours I've used for years look naff.
I seem to need to put more on and feel like a drag queen but when I catch a glance of myself when out it all seems to have disappeared and I look plain.
I need to reassess what I'm using. I currently use urban decay foundation (paraben free) and then a mixture of other brands.
Anyone got any recommendations as to where I can go for an overhaul? Not Mac as my skin hates it! flowers

FrustratedFrugal Tue 15-Mar-16 17:13:16

I'm 40+ and I had to learn how to do a more natural look a few years ago. MAC is great for a drag queen look wink

Bobbi Brown is the usual recommendation for a more natural look but you can also buy low-cost makeup. I use shades that are close to my natural tones but a bit deeper. Mauves and deep pinks for lips (Kiko is great for budget lipstick), nudes and taupes and espresso browns and dark grays for eyes. (In the past, I was able to use black eyeliner and red lipstick, but both look a bit off these days.) I no longer wear full-coverage foundation, BB creams and mineral makeup give my face a more natural glow. If your makeup slides off, try using a primer and an eye shadow base.

nilbyname Tue 15-Mar-16 17:31:11

Low cost-
Rimmel London foundation it's the one with the orange lid and it blends really well. I use that sparingly and apply with fingers then blend with a beauty blender. On t zone and chin. Then I use a bit of concealer under the eyes.
Then a sweep of translucent powder- I like Laura mercier.
Then some very light touch bronzer- hula by benefit. A pop of blusher on top. Sometimes a bit of highlighter on the very top of my cheekbones.
Eyes- a deep brown with an angled brush to tight line my upper lid, then buffed with a fat brush to soften and blend. Mascara. Finish with lip gloss.
It's a natural everyday look and I'll add a smokey eye for a night out OR a red lip- but never both!

nilbyname Tue 15-Mar-16 17:32:37

I like-

Mac eyeshadows
Lancôme mascaras
Lancôme juicy tubes
Benefit for blush
Origins for lip gloss
Rimmel for lipsticks

Get yourself some good make up brushes- they make all the difference

stumblymonkey Tue 15-Mar-16 17:34:12

I second Bobbi Brown....go for a mini-makeover at the store!

XiCi Tue 15-Mar-16 17:48:02

It's definitely worth investing in a too faced chocolate bar
m.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_154614100899_-1
Lots of beautifully pigmented colours and hundreds of YouTube tutorials to show you how to achieve different looks. I was stuck in a make up rut and it has transformed my usual routine. It smells like chocolate too as an added bonus smile

AgainstTheGlock Tue 15-Mar-16 19:06:06

As you already love the Urban Decay company ethos - what about one of the Naked palettes (whichever suits your colouring - I'm a blue-eyed blonde so number 2 does me). They're cream through smoky greys and charcoals and are uber-easy and flattering.

Your comment about MAC and drag queens has made me laugh. I have an old school friend who ALWAYS has the right make-up for "fancy dress" night... and has a dining table covered in MAC eyeshadows. grin

burnishedsilver Tue 15-Mar-16 20:12:45

The people at the mac counter made me look like a wag drag queen. I had a much better outcome at the lancome counter. I'm in my mid forties. What they did was flattering and wearable.

XiCi Tue 15-Mar-16 22:28:58

If you do decide on a palette I have a couple of Naked palettes and the too faced choc bar. The choc bar is miles better than the Naked ones. The colours and pigmentation of the shadows are far superior and there's alot more different looks you can create with it.

LuluJakey1 Tue 15-Mar-16 22:37:06

I went to Clinique and they made me up. I came out looking like Rita from Coronation Street. I asked for the nude look. I might have guessed- the saleswoman looked like Rita from Coronation Street. The foundation was trowelled onto me, heavy, far too dark for my very pale very white skin. It was yellow and formed a line against my milk bottle white neck. The blusher was lillacy- hideous- and the eye shadow was brown and thick.
DH fell about laughing and said I looked 80.
I have gone back to being foundationless and using my Bobbi Brown blusher. It seems I am too pale for the palest of foundations anywhere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now