Bright blue dress, what to put over it for wedding?

(21 Posts)
Ilovetorrentialrain Thu 10-Mar-16 22:22:56

Hi

I'm going to a wedding in a couple of weeks and have bought this blue dress which I love.

www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Ted+Baker+Eleese+Mesh+Detail+Skater+Dress/235724754,default,pd.html

However, I now have no clue what to put with it! The venue is quite small, intimate, posh. The ceremony and wedding breakfast are all in one place so no hanging around outside etc.

I have black high strappy shoes which I may or may not stick with, but thinking I should probably avoid a black jacket as not wedding-y enough.

Any thought very gratefully received!

Thanks.

burnishedsilver Thu 10-Mar-16 23:11:04

This with cherry red nails, a black bag and your black shoes.

Ilovetorrentialrain Thu 10-Mar-16 23:24:22

Ha! Thanks was looking at that jacket earlier. Love it but not sure it's the right colour for me. I'm pale and don't suit red or pink near my face but love the jacket style.

Greengardenpixie Fri 11-Mar-16 07:22:07

I dont like that colour at all with that dress. Personally and call it boring, but I would go with navy jacket, cardi or whatever and navy sandals.

Greengardenpixie Fri 11-Mar-16 07:23:59

You could also have a nice scarf that picks up the bright blue and navy to bring the whole look together.

Ilovetorrentialrain Fri 11-Mar-16 07:26:49

Thanks Garden, do you mean the colour of the dress isn't right? Too plain? It looks really nice on.

Agree navy might work best.

Need a trying in session.

I'm worried about it looking to boring.

Greengardenpixie Fri 11-Mar-16 07:50:02

No, the colour and style of the dress is lovely. I just don't personally like the suggestion of the pinky red jacket with it. I don't think the dress is at all boring. At the end of the day, you will take the jacket off and it will look lovely. Just dont like the pinky red suggestion. Navy to me is more tasteful.

Greengardenpixie Fri 11-Mar-16 07:50:48

I have lots of things in that bright blue colour. I love it and really suit it. I usually wear navy or black with it. Navy is nicer with it in my experience.

Greengardenpixie Fri 11-Mar-16 07:53:52

You could also do this kind of thing:

www.google.co.uk/search?q=navy+jacket+with+dress&espv=2&biw=1273&bih=615&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj5i7mmk7jLAhUFNhoKHVlmB6cQ_AUIBigB#tbm=isch&q=bright+blue+dress&imgrc=JnjkK7pY2QigAM%3A

Greengardenpixie Fri 11-Mar-16 07:54:20

www.google.co.uk/search?q=navy+jacket+with+dress&espv=2&biw=1273&bih=615&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj5i7mmk7jLAhUFNhoKHVlmB6cQ_AUIBigB#tbm=isch&q=bright+blue+dress&imgdii=JnjkK7pY2QigAM%3A%3BJnjkK7pY2QigAM%3A%3BJtSfgSfRwFRf0M%3A&imgrc=JnjkK7pY2QigAM%3A

Greengardenpixie Fri 11-Mar-16 07:56:11

Sorry that came up with the same link!!!It was the picture next to the one with the creamy jacket. It like a black jacket with black shoes.

It depends upon your style. For me, it wouldn't be me to wear a light jacket and shoes. Its not my style but it may look good on you.

Ilovetorrentialrain Fri 11-Mar-16 08:04:25

Thank you so much. Know what you mean about taking the jacket off, I'll feel better then but for the ceremony the dress needs something over it.

Will experiment with navy.

Thinking of going back to Ted Baker to see what they suggest, though I've blown the budget on the dress so whatever they suggest will have to come from elsewhere!

I would wear a short fluffy white card

Twinklestein Fri 11-Mar-16 10:29:02

You could be daring and try something in a similar colour likethis or this. With contrasting bag/shoes/accessories.

Otherwise I'd go for ivory or black. I'd avoid navy personally.

BumbleNova Fri 11-Mar-16 10:46:21

I would go with ivory personally, I think it looks more modern. I think cardigans should be avoided at all costs with a nice dress.

cissyfuss Fri 11-Mar-16 13:18:46

I agree to avoid cardigans with lovely dresses... it can spoil the 'ta da' factor!

Personally I think navy over cream or black. You've got a tricky neckline to deal with, so finding the right jacket might take some work.

Throwing this idea into the mix... With navy shoes and a zingy, sparkly clutch:

http://m.bhs.co.uk/h5/product?productId=16868008

Ilovetorrentialrain Fri 11-Mar-16 13:32:49

Is this a bonkers idea or ok? It's ok I can handle brutal honesty!

www.frenchconnection.com/product/woman+collections+sale+coats+and+jackets/75EAN/Still+Water+Faux+Fur+Jacket.htm

Ilovetorrentialrain Fri 11-Mar-16 13:35:39

Thanks so much I can't tell you how much I appreciate the responses. flowers

I want to avoid killing the dress with anything that could be conceived as frumpy, but how to do that? I'm clueless.

I could make a cardi look pretty frumpy I fear. Think it needs to be a cropped jacket of some kind.

cissyfuss Interesting! A wild card contender. I love a fluffy collar! Is it OK for daytime though?

cissyfuss Fri 11-Mar-16 13:41:43

I like the bonkers faux fur jacket but think it would overwhelm your dress on this occasion...

re feathery for daytime... I think anything goes as long as the weather is not too hot and sweaty... damp feathers, euuurgghh!

WhereDidAllThoseYesterdaysGo Fri 11-Mar-16 13:43:05

That dress is absolutely stunning. I love it.

What about a wee furry jackety thingy (stole? Is that the word) in black or dark brown

WhereDidAllThoseYesterdaysGo Fri 11-Mar-16 13:44:58

Or even quite a long coaty jackety thing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now