Aaargh first beach holiday in 10years!!

(10 Posts)
Jmangel Mon 07-Mar-16 13:41:57

Very excited but anxious as my body ain't what it used to be!! We have only holidayed in Wales or Ireland since having DC but have just booked a proper pool beach holiday in Italy for this June. I have 3 months people!!! My weight is ok but lord am I saggy and just not toned. Also stretch marks central on thighs and backs of knees of all places and my feet are frankly dire with a lovely 8 year old verruca on my little toe too God I sound fabulous! Thing is I'm fairly confident fully dressed but worried about baring all. Anyone else feeling anxious about a beach holiday? I should be over the moon as where we're going looks gorgeous and I can't wait to see my DDs having such a good time but part of me is going to be so embarrassed about all my flaws. I'm thinking a swimsuit almost like a playsuit with shorts for maximum coverage and lots of full length maxi dresses. Plus I need to dust off my Davina DVDs!

vitaminC Mon 07-Mar-16 14:09:06

You'll stand out much more if you cover up, as on the continent, women all tend to wear bikinis, no matter what their age, size or shape !

Seriously, try to tone up as much as you can - you can get a flat stomach in a few weeks, just by making a conscious effort to hold it in all day long for a few months. Do the DVD a couple of times a week and moisturise your skin each day after showering.

Get your feet seen to. Go to a chiropodist or a podologist for help with the verruca if other treatments haven't worked. And then start getting (or giving yourself) weekly pedicures until they look presentable enough for sandals.

Maxi dresses are fine, but bear in mind local women tend to wear simply cut clothes in neutral colours, so you don't feel too self-consious. And try to focus on enjoying your holiday, rather than worrying about your flaws. No-one will notice them, I promise! People notice the overall look and demeanor, not specific details.

carrie74 Mon 07-Mar-16 14:56:02

Totally what VitC says - the only women who wear those shorts swimming costumes are English (and on the whole, don't need to).

Get exercising, and be committed, the 30 day shred is only 20 mins a day, and you'll both feel it and see results. Weights are an excellent way of firming up (make sure they're not too light, but not so heavy you're losing form).

My DD has had immense success with applying cider vinegar on a wart overnight (covered with plaster, then left open in the daytime). Her oldest one went in about a week. Then maybe try a course of Footer a few weeks before you go to get the trotters ready, with a pedicure before you go.

And please enjoy yourself rather than worrying how you look - the only person who cares is you x

prettywhiteguitar Mon 07-Mar-16 14:56:24

Ha I have the same issue, I am going to the gym twice a week as every time I bent over my poor stomach would just fall down shock

Anyways other than general toning gradual tan everywhere, it's amazing what regular moisturising and exercise does to your body.

And forget maxi dresses they make you look massive unless you're tall and stick thin !

prettywhiteguitar Mon 07-Mar-16 14:59:44

Black bikini/swimsuit and a thin gold necklace with a black sarong is what I'm thinking. Maybe gold studs for my ears, and nice shades smile

Have fun it's your holiday !! Plus you can eat all that amazing Italian food when you're there and get brown smile

Jmangel Mon 07-Mar-16 15:20:46

Thanks guys. Level 1 of 30 day shred is on YouTube free so no excuses. Will definitely try the cider vinegar on my verruca. Carrie, sorry what is Footer? just googled it and nothing came up?
Point taken about the playsuit - will exercise for a month and then reconsider a bikini - gulp! did I mention I'm 43! Maybe a tankini as a safety net with hotpant type bottoms?
I know I need to stop worrying - as my mum would say, "sher who would be looking at ya?"

carrie74 Mon 07-Mar-16 15:44:20

Sorry that was my autocorrect! It's Footner, and shreds all the dead skin off your feet. £14.99 at Superdrug at the moment.

No to tankinis, they always stop at belly overhang, which then peeks through! And no to hot pant bottoms, higher leg more flattering. Honestly.

FrustratedFrugal Mon 07-Mar-16 15:53:31

Italy is such an easy place to do this as everyone from babies to 90+ year-old grandmas goes to the beach. Anything you choose to wear will be fine and you can wear either an onepiece or a bikini, anything goes. You can cover up too if you want to but I bet you'll shed some layers quickly when you see how relaxed everyone else is.

We've spent many summers in an Italian family resort - focus on the great seafood, long naps and balmy evening strolls. Enjoy!

specialsubject Mon 07-Mar-16 16:32:49

June is peak UV so cover up or look like a leather handbag - as will those who sun-roast the whole time.

board shorts (nothing underneath) in a length of your choice. Bikini top with rash vest over for swimming, remove rash vest when sitting in the shade. Boardies dry quickly (freshwater rinse after swimming or the salt crystals from the sea get itchy).

nobody is looking.

enjoy your trip!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Mon 07-Mar-16 17:22:36

Fake tan
I'm going to a hot'n'forrin beach in October and I willl need to work on my stomach (bit saggy and more stretch marks than I can shake a stick at)

So - all over fake tan for me.
High Factor Sun Protection (I use Ultrasun )
Modest bikini to sunbathe and swimsuit when we go to the waterpark
Sarong to slip over the top, get to my lounger, slide out of my sarong and sandles, onto the lounger, sunglasses on and read .

No-one will be looking at me smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now