Trousers for tall skinny teenage boy? Where?

(23 Posts)
TeamSteady Mon 07-Mar-16 10:48:56

Hi All,

Does anyone have any suggestions for trousers for tall skinnies?

DS1 is 12, almost 13, but is super skinny and long legged. For the past few years we have had the ever increasing problem that his legs have grown, body and waist haven't, so anything that doesn't fall down is about 3+' above his ankle...

He is 5'5 but legs are out of proportion. I measured last night and inside leg is just over 32', could easily get away with a 33' if they did it, waist just under 26. Legs very skinny- I have a picture from 18m ago where you can clearly see his knees are the widest parts of his legs... He eats like a horse.. or several horses before anyone comments... Sadly his skinny genes don't come from me, but 6'3 DH, with his 32' waist and 34+' inside leg, so I don't see him filling out for ages yet.

School trousers are ok, as they still have the elastic/button inside the waist- he is currently wearing age 15 TU, with the waist pulled in as tight as possible... but most shops either don't do teenage sizing, and go straight to men's at a generous 30' or stop age 13-16 but entirely the wrong shape.

Tried next skinnies in an age 16, this weekend, leg length ok, but waist and upper thigh huge- he looked like he was wearing old fashioned breeches with the excess flappy fabric on the hips!

The only trousers he owns at the min are a zara pair of skinny jeans age 14, that now are several inches too short, and a pair of age 13 h+m with a belt on them that distorts the cut badly as the belt is pulled so tight the tops are all rouched... and they are way too short too...

Can anyone suggest different shops to try?

Thanks

Dumbledoresgirl Mon 07-Mar-16 10:52:29

Was going to say M&S (not great for style, but great for adjustable waists and ease of availability online), Gap, H&M and Next - my boys started their adult clothing 'careers' in Next 28 inch waist trousers. Not easy to find in store, but again available onine.

Other than that, no, it is a nightmare, isn't it?

Ludways Mon 07-Mar-16 10:53:15

Primark, loads of different waist v length combinations. The only place I can find for my skinny but tall 14 yo.

Dumbledoresgirl Mon 07-Mar-16 10:54:53

Oh yes, Primark! Good call. I know it is not such a problem clothing the top half, but Primark also do small and very small sizes in tops which fit a skinny teenage boy very well.

IsabelMarant Mon 07-Mar-16 10:57:30

Topman stretch skinnies are good

davidcameroon Mon 07-Mar-16 11:00:46

My son wears Next super skinnies in a 26 inch waist and belt. (He's 5 foot 9)
I've seen super skinny in H and M (teen sizes go up to 14+ years before adult sizing.

TeamSteady Mon 07-Mar-16 11:16:06

Thank you all. I'll definitely look at primark. Hadn't considered next men's- didn't know they came in a 28' and assumed they would be much bigger than the teens sections.

Unfortunately m+s and h+m are out- just had a look at their size guide for e.g.. m+s seem to stop casual trousers for boys in age 13-14 (cricket whites and school trousers go bigger), the size guide says that's a 27¾-28¾' waist with a 28.5' inside leg... The 15-16 in a long leg is a 32.25 leg, but a 31' waist... and they don't do non school trousers in that size. H+m are similar and he is already drowning in the waist of age 13s...

Will go and check out primark and adult next and topshop now.

Grrr.. it's a bit of a nightmare to be honest! The only trousers he owns that actually fit him are a pair of ladies extra tall jodhpurs in a size 6 (he does a lot of horse riding) but obviously he can't wear those for much other than riding!

Thank you

WicksEnd Mon 07-Mar-16 13:20:06

No idea for trousers as Ds's doesn't wear uniform but Topman and river island both do super skinny jeans in a 26" waist.
(Well they did when he was. 26" waist, he's filled out a bit at last but has grown to 6ft 4 shock)

alwaysrunninginheels Mon 07-Mar-16 13:43:07

This has been the bane of my life with teenage son. Some mens stores do 26inch waist but even they can seem wide. These have been a life saver. They come in a few skinny styles and I'm not sure which one we ended up with but my son was 13 and needed the age 16 for length but they weren't wide. Not cheap but you get to the point if they have one pair that looks decent you heave a sigh of relief!!
www.johnlewis.com/levi's-boys'-510-skinny-fit-jeans-blue/p2565289

FeelItInMyToes Mon 07-Mar-16 13:48:18

Pull & Bear do super skinny jeans. My 16 year old son who is 6 foot wears them all the time and they come in lots of colours!

alwaysrunninginheels Mon 07-Mar-16 13:54:17

FeelIt do you buy him mans or teens? They look great!

antimatter Mon 07-Mar-16 13:55:36

Did you try H&M?

dynia Mon 07-Mar-16 20:11:36

Uniqlo often does quite slim sizes in men's trousers. My husband wears a 31x34 and they seem to go smaller than this.

BabyGanoush Mon 07-Mar-16 20:47:41

Superdry, smallest size mens ones?

Boden Johnnie Boden in size 26 or 28 waist in extra-long leg length

Weird random men's trousers in tk maxx in size S or XS

These have all been good for my thin DS (now 13)

Don't buy too many wink as they can grow 5 inches in a year at this age.shock

DS now 5ft10 and has successfully transitioned to XS or S menswear.

Not long to go for you!

Kenworthington Mon 07-Mar-16 20:57:16

Topman super spray skinnies. Ds2 lives in them, he's 13, very lean and 5'9.
I've also bought him size 6 women's skinny jeans!

mysteryfairy Mon 07-Mar-16 22:07:56

For school trousers M&S used to do extra long trousers so you could buy a younger age, have a smaller (and adjustable) waist and them still be long enough.

Asos own brand include 26 x 32 and 28 x 34. They are quite cheap feeling but they're not in them for long. They even do suit trousers in 28 x 34 and no one else seems to. I shop there for my skinny teen as bricks and mortar shops never seem to have anything actually in stock.

freshprincess Mon 07-Mar-16 22:11:00

Marking place.
I have a 511 12 year old who has just grown out of the trousers I bought before Christmas.

BabyGanoush Tue 08-Mar-16 19:04:14

5 11" = menswear

burnishedsilver Tue 08-Mar-16 19:38:34

When my tall skinny boys were in that in between stage Hollister was the only place I could shop for them.

Fozzleyplum Tue 08-Mar-16 22:39:52

Same problem here; I've posted about it before and had some really good advice.

My 14 year old DS is just shy of 6' with a 27" waist and disproportionately long legs. He can't wear most brands for adults, because not only do they not do a sufficiently small waist, but the longest lengths in shops like Top Man and Jack Wills are too short.

DS is in Levi skinny fit age 16 - a previous poster mentioned them. They are the best fitting jeans he's had and this is his 3rd pair in successive sizes. However, he's really too tall now for the age 16s and I've done loads of research into what to buy next. The consistent answer has been Levis women's skinnies in the leanest cut. Ask any lanky male assistant in a Levi's shop, and that's what they'll be wearing. They are almost indistinguishable from the men's ones, and start at very small waist sizes, but can I persuade DS to try girls' jeans?!?

EmmaWoodlouse Wed 09-Mar-16 16:03:30

When my sons were about the same size and shape someone told me that Top Man go down to a size 26. I never actually bought them trousers in there as there isn't one in this town, but it might be worth a look if you can get to one. Also look out for Replay jeans, which you can sometimes get in TKMaxx. they're a good cut for the skinny-bummed males in my family.

Passionfruitpavlova Wed 09-Mar-16 18:04:22

I have successfully bought Next (black, school) trousers for my son who's the same age as yours, but 5' 8" with a 26 waist. They're an XS adult size, 26R and seem to do the trick. I haven't found jeans that fit but the Next Chinos (adult size) at £20 fit like a dream. I think they do them in other colours too. Hope that helps?

rainbowunicorn Wed 09-Mar-16 21:48:46

River Island is the best I have found , my son is similar to yours in height waist etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now