find me a non frumpy age appropriate cocktail dress for black tie corporate do

(11 Posts)
iamamug Thu 03-Mar-16 21:37:12

Good evening all, I have a corporate dinner next weekend and need a dress. I'm super busty (38f) with a tummy but slim hips and I'm only 5'2" so definitely on the dumpy side.
I don't mind a bit of cleavage but not too much as its a work thing and I really don't like anything tight across the problem tummy area.
Bum and hips are good.
I would prefer black but a dark plum or navy could work.
I'm over 50 but don't want to disappear if you know what I mean?
Budget pretty open within reason - I have shoes and all accessories etc so don't mind pushing the boat out a bit and to be honest cheap looks bad at my age!
I have access to Birmingham before the event and happy to buy online.
Please help!!

MrsLettuce Thu 03-Mar-16 22:00:25

What sort of style do you go for and what size are we after?

gonegrey56 Thu 03-Mar-16 22:17:58

I have just bought the Serena dress by Hobbs (sorry can't do a link on this phone), very dark navy , waisted and full skirt . Wore it to a black tie event with some bling and it was perfect (I am in my fifties like you and 5ft 3). A new season dress, just in the shops and online . One of the other guests asked me if it was Dolce and Gabbana !

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Thu 03-Mar-16 22:20:21

These? They're nice quality for a reasonable price (I have a few bits from them) . They do have a website I just can't access it because my phone browser is being slow confused

iamamug Thu 03-Mar-16 22:58:18

Thanks, I've been trawling the John Lewis website. The Hobbs dress is lovely but I'm not sure if dressy enough for me and I need the neck to be a bit lower otherwise my boobs look like a shelf!
I'll check out the other dresses, thank you.

Lauren1983 Fri 04-Mar-16 00:49:40

www.coast-stores.com/p/bettina-crepe-dress/1580680

Maybe too plain though?

herecomesthsun Fri 04-Mar-16 02:47:12

sparkly

bit hepburn

navy

beaded shift

LBD

St Bustier

mrsmortis Fri 04-Mar-16 08:32:05

I'd second herecomesthesun. I am a 34G and I swear by pepperberry for evening wear.

I really like this one:
www.bravissimo.com/pepperberry/products/dresses/occasion-and-party-dresses/fleur-dress/navy/pd446nvy/?level=1

But you may think it's more suitable for a wedding than an evening do.

annielostit Fri 04-Mar-16 09:36:02

Nice Mrs Mortis.smile

FauxFox Fri 04-Mar-16 09:56:19

Lovely Biba - comes in dark grey or red

iamamug Fri 04-Mar-16 22:14:23

Absolutely love the coast dress,
I am a fan of bravissimo but I find with the dresses, they don't take a tummy into account so the boob part is great but then I look pregnant!
Some really great ideas and I'm going to order the Coast dress.
Many thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now