Summer Capsule wardrobe

(6 Posts)
Alligatorpie Thu 03-Mar-16 13:45:06

I know summer is still ages away, but I am moving to the tropics and am trying to get organised.
I am focusing on quality rather than quantity and I am planning on packing light. What do I need? I am a teacher so will need some work clothes, but overall I tend to dress pretty casually. Thanks so much for your help!

Artandco Thu 03-Mar-16 13:51:18

Depends on where your moving, do you need to be covered for any religious reasons?

If not my summer capsule for work and casual is something like:

- summer cotton or linen dresses x5
- linen or silk/ cotton light Blazer jackets x2
- silk or linen summer shirts x3
- summer tops x3
- lightweight smartish chino trousers x2
- x3 shoes. Nice Flip flops, smarter sandals, and some slip on pump type things
- cardigan and thin jumper for evenings if cold

hippospot Thu 03-Mar-16 16:39:14

I'm a SAHM and my summer wardrobe (hot country) is a bit like this:

8 cotton dresses
3 cotton shirts with 3/4 sleeves
2 pairs wide linen trousers
1 pair chinos
5 vest tops
6 short sleeved tshirts
4 light jumpers
3 light cardigans
plimsolls
1 pair shorts (strictly for beach)
4 pairs flat leather sandals
1 pair wedges
1 pair heeled sandals for evening
3 bikinis

Don't know if this qualifies as "capsule". Most of the items are blue/grey/white/black as I love those colours.

Most days I wear dress + flat sandals. I bloody love how easy it is to get dressed when it's hot!

whataboutbob Thu 03-Mar-16 17:31:09

If you are moving to the tropics then the heat and humidity will obviously be more intense than anything an Englush summer can throw at you.
I was in malta in late summer (not the tropics, but it got up to 37C and it was humid) and came to the conclusion the only way to dress was:
No jeans- just way too sticky
Loose tops and pants (I have some Ghost elastic waist, loose ish trousers and they were just right ) A pair of linen trousers would have been good.
A fairly swishy knee length skirt (lets the air circulate!)
A smartish dress with 1/2 length sleeves to wear with heels in the evening
Shorts
Light cardi for the evening
A stylish hat would have come in handy, but didn't have one.
And I think you can get away with bolder colour combinations when the light is strong. have fun!

Alligatorpie Fri 04-Mar-16 13:20:44

This is just what I needed! Thanks so much! I can't wait to go shopping!

CorrigansDoorKnob Fri 04-Mar-16 13:54:21

I don't live in the tropics but I do live in a hot and sunny city in Australia. In summer I live in jersey knee length dresses for work with smart sandals. At home I go for shorts, jersey skirts and shirts with the sleeves rolled up. I have a few in 100% modal which hang really well and are cool. I don't have bare shoulders anymore as I'm paranoid about sun damage and skin cancer. Big hat and decent sunglasses are a must too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now