Verdicts on Modalu bags?

(17 Posts)
ClarenceTheLion Thu 03-Mar-16 00:10:41

I was looking at this for spring www.modalu.com/shop/pippacollection/classic-pippa-grab-rose-pink.html but I never hear anyone talk about Modalu anymore, it would be for work and I don't want to make a style faux pas!

SnuffleGruntSnorter Thu 03-Mar-16 00:15:07

Ooh I've never heard of modalu but I really like that bag. The colour isn't my personal taste but it's a lovely shape and looks well made.

SnuffleGruntSnorter Thu 03-Mar-16 00:19:05

Disclaimer: I am neither stylish nor particularly beautiful (on the outside). Don't take my advice without speak to some people with a clue first.

BlairWaldorfLovesShopping Thu 03-Mar-16 09:36:21

I've got a mini Pippa (in orange) and I love it. I mainly use it in the summer. I think they're good quality for the price, and I like the many compartments the Pippa has. If you like the bag then that's all that matters smile

ClarenceTheLion Thu 03-Mar-16 11:15:23

Great, thank you!

DianaT1969 Thu 03-Mar-16 11:56:21

Never heard of them.

ClarenceTheLion Thu 03-Mar-16 12:29:06

That's fine too!

AgainstTheGlock Thu 03-Mar-16 12:31:41

Clarence I've seen the Modalu Pippa on the TK Maxx website - worth a look there to save a few quid?

They were everywhere a few years ago when the press couldn't get enough of the Middletons.

Talisin Thu 03-Mar-16 12:58:20

Like Blair I have a mini Pippa (mine's black) and I love it. It may be the most useful bag I have as there seems to be a space for everything. Lookswise I think it's attractive, a bit more blingy than I'd have theoretically chosen perhaps but everything else about it makes up for that. Good quality too. Basically I think Modalu have fallen off the radar a bit in the last year or two but they haven't suddenly become naff and the Pippa is a classic.

Corygal1 Thu 03-Mar-16 12:59:31

I bought a big grey one and it lasted a year - the polishes went on the clasps, fittings bust, etc. Annoying, it was a good bag looks-wise.

I'd go Jaeger. Definitely TK - they have loads.

WanderingTrolley1 Thu 03-Mar-16 13:00:54

They're crap, imho.

Greengardenpixie Thu 03-Mar-16 13:46:14

They're crap, imho Really? I have one and its beautifully made. It is in black patent. Mine is a medium size bag and i love all the pockets. Its a pippa. I think it is one of the most beautiful bags that I have had.

1moreglassplease Thu 03-Mar-16 13:47:57

I have a Pippa too and I love it. I like their bags and got a lovely tote last year as well. Never had a problem with either of them. Their sales are good too.

OTheHugeManatee Thu 03-Mar-16 13:48:45

I have several Modalu bags and like them. For me the Pippa is just a fraction too small for a work bag as it won't fit a packed lunch. I have a large tote though which is lovely.

sheffieldsteeler Thu 03-Mar-16 17:49:05

I have to say, this thread put me off them a bit.

ClarenceTheLion Thu 03-Mar-16 18:50:46

I looked into brands that use sweatshop workers last year and it's a long list - M&S (though they were apparently shamed into promising that workers would be paid living wages by 2015 so I hope that happened) H&M, Gap, Matalan, Primark, Nike, Adidas, Next, Topshop, Warehouse, Mango, Debenhams, Oasis, Miss Selfridge, and of course Apple and Disney.

Modalu were probably targeted due to the DMs stalker like obsession with Pippa Middleton for a few years.

But I would like to buy ethically more often. It's just hard to know which are the truly ethical (and affordable...) brands.

PollyPerky Thu 03-Mar-16 19:32:30

I had a small Pippa but sold it on ebay for a good price. I found it rather heavy even when empty and rather 'solid' in terms of the leather. But the quality was good. I don't like the Modalu shell gold emblem on their bags however, and most of the hardware is gold and I prefer silver.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now