Silver earrings for sensitive ears

(15 Posts)
KanyesVest Tue 01-Mar-16 21:34:01

Since I had my ears pierced I've only ever worn gold earrings. Anything else makes my ears red and inflamed. My mum and sister are the same. I found some really lovely silver earrings but don't want to risk buying them in case I can't wear them. Does anyone with sensitive ears manage to wear silver earrings ok?

TheIceCreamCometh Tue 01-Mar-16 21:34:47

I'm ok with gold and silver but can wear anything else for about 5 mins before they irritate. Worth a try for sure!

mmmminx Tue 01-Mar-16 21:35:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bojorojo Tue 01-Mar-16 21:37:47

Sadly not. About 1 day is my limit. White gold just has to substitute!

SirChenjin Tue 01-Mar-16 21:42:33

Yes, I can wear silver or gold - anything else just makes my ears red and itchy. I always thought it was a nickel allergy?

KanyesVest Tue 01-Mar-16 21:45:19

Oh, I forgot about the clear nail varnish thing. I used to do that with my pound shop earrings as a teenager! I usually wear white gold, but the lovely pair I saw are silver. The woman in the jewellers was quite convincing that I'd be able to wear them, but she also wanted to sell them hmm I'd love them and it's not like they are break-the-bank expensive, but if I only get 10 minutes out of them, it's not really worth the investment.

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Tue 01-Mar-16 21:48:36

Get stainless steel earrings if you like the look of silver but can't deal with the nickel content.

CointreauVersial Tue 01-Mar-16 23:31:07

Silver should be fine; it's not usually an allergen.

Places like Accessorise do cheap silver earrings - less than £10. Why not try a pair of those to see if you react, before investing in the expensive ones?

If you are after something inexpensive, M&S do an excellent non-allergy range of earrings. I'm super-sensitive to anything with nickel in it (cheap bracelets and necklaces bring me out in a rash) but these have been fine. I've worn a pair of studs for the last two months with no problems.

Chimchar Wed 02-Mar-16 07:05:38

Claire's Accessories sell loads of silver earrings for £6 a pair. I get them for my dd. she has very sensitive skin and eczema and has never had any trouble with silver ones.

If they're ok, you can feel confident in spending a bit more on some posh ones.

BeaufortBelle Wed 02-Mar-16 07:10:46

I have the least trouble with silver. 9ct gold irritates but silver is fine. Most thi gs other than 18ct or silver irritate -even if they are sensitive anti sllergen ones.

Accessorize sterling silver ones - cheap and don;t cause me any problems at all.

EdmundSlackbladder Wed 02-Mar-16 17:13:54

I have very sensitive skin and find I'm far better with silver than with gold. Give them a go.

amazonianwoman Wed 02-Mar-16 17:18:09

Silver ones irritate my ears, gold ok. Stainless steel or titanium are fine and look like silver.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 02-Mar-16 18:03:25

Accessorize earrings (silver) are gorgeous and reasonably priced but very delicate and I've often seen broken/stones missing while still on the display so just from people handling them.

I've had nightmares with Claires earrings- one pair had a sharp area on the post which made my ear bleed (and I've had my ears pierced for over 30 years so well fibrous). I had one of those "Ain't going to back down" scenarios when I returned them.
"But you've worn them, we don't refund on earrings"
"But they made my ear bleed so ^not fit for purpose^"
"You have to send them back to the manufacturers"
"I bought them here. My contract is with this store"

In the end they grudging gave me back my money (because the queue was building up)

Titanium would be a good safe choice (it's used in medical fields) try a good piercing/tattoo salon.

I bought my DD silver when she had hers done

Freya888 Thu 03-Mar-16 16:09:17

i hate gold, silver is better

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now