I have to give up fake tan - what else can I use??

(13 Posts)
StephenKatz Sun 28-Feb-16 08:36:30

I've been a SAHM for 6 years, and I'm going back to work full time in three weeks. My job is in theatres and involves occasionally doing full surgical scrubs, so my beloved St Moritz tan is going to have to go the journey. Is there ANYTHING else I have a chance of using? Do you think those gradual moisturisers would withstand the hand washing? I never use them because I hate the greasy feeling, but I'm not prepared to accept being super pale just yet! Sunbeds not really an option, don't want the cancer and wrinkles!

MrsMarigold Sun 28-Feb-16 10:24:54

latex gloves?

specialsubject Sun 28-Feb-16 12:38:08

your real colour?

Nurse Chrissie on Holby was set up as a target for a piss-take - the actress still looks the same, though...

quite right not to do sunbeds. Who will notice anyway?

Kirriemuir Sun 28-Feb-16 12:43:53

Just be natural.

Jackie0 Sun 28-Feb-16 12:44:52

The gradual tanners withstand hand washing just like fake tan, they are just a less concentrated form.
I'm not understanding the relevance of wearing scrubs.

Lj8893 Sun 28-Feb-16 12:47:48

I use a gradual moisturiser and it seems to withhold constant hand washing fairly well. But I am constantly moisturising my hands too (with just normal hand cream) so that may help.

StephenKatz Sun 28-Feb-16 13:05:37

Don't think I was very clear in my OP, I meant that I was doing a full surgical scrub, not that I was going to be wearing them (although I will grin ) It means that I'll be washing my hands and forearms very very thoroughly with clinical soaps and rough sponges, in order to assist in sterile procedures.

I know some people prefer natural paler skin, that's fine. I prefer to look tanned, hence why I've asked if there was any alternate. Think I should investigate some gradual tanners.

I don't watch Holby city, sorry don't get the reference?

vanillabeauty Mon 29-Feb-16 17:17:21

Could you apply the gradual tanner at night?

capsium Mon 29-Feb-16 17:37:26

Eat tons of carrots. The beta carotene is supposed to make you 'glow'! grin

prettywhiteguitar Mon 29-Feb-16 17:59:23

I'm not sure why you can't use your normal tanner if you can use the gradual one ? Or do you think you will end up with white arms and brown everything else ?

I recommend vita liberata as it lasts much longer than anything else and can withstand washing. Gradual tan wears off very easily.

GlitteryKnickersAndBra14 Mon 29-Feb-16 21:29:07

I've worked in theatres for years and used to always fake tan. I never had any problems with having white arms and a brown body, so I'd say to just carry on as you are. I don't bother with the tan anymore, but a few others do and don't seem to have problems with white arms.

StephenKatz Tue 01-Mar-16 11:34:51

Yes - I'm worried I'll have white forearms and brown upper arms! I don't think my fake tan would withstand it, I think I'm just grasping at straws looking for a safe solution!

StephenKatz Tue 01-Mar-16 11:35:26

Maybe tomato juice capsium? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now