Graduation ceremony dress??

(15 Posts)
Glowlamp Fri 26-Feb-16 19:28:52

What to wear under the cloak? Help!
It's in July, I'm a 40 something Mum. I would like to be comfortable but not frumpy for dinner after. So far I've looked at black dresses and found nothing. Does it have to be black? I don't want to spend too much either (under £100 would be good, under 75 better!).

MissTurnstiles Fri 26-Feb-16 19:35:49

Check with your university about dress code under the gown. My university insisted that we wear subfusc (white blouse, black tie, black trousers or skirt) but it was unusually strict! Many universities allow you to wear pretty much anything underneath.

Glowlamp Fri 26-Feb-16 20:09:50

All it says (having looked - good plan) is that it is a formal occasion and dress appropriately. Or tradition dress - kilts for the boys!
I realise I have several months yet!!

Lweji Fri 26-Feb-16 20:11:52

I'd be asking the teachers and colleagues, because it will depend a bit on specific tradition at that university.

Boozena Fri 26-Feb-16 20:13:44

I wore a black dress with a fuchsia panel down the front. If I remember we were told to dress smart & colourful! So the opposite of others. It was nice to have a bright color underneath all that black. But def worth checking with staff/prev graduates.

Caprinihahahaha Fri 26-Feb-16 20:17:19

I attended my sons graduation a few weeks ago.
Mostly colourful dresses underneath - sort of formal party/dinner dresses rather than nightclub.
Short dresses looked terrible. There was something about having to walk across the stage with a short dress under a formal gown that looked really awkward and unflattering.

EdithWeston Fri 26-Feb-16 20:17:20

Go for proper subfusc as it's the most appropriate, correctly formal, and likely to be useful in your wardrobe later. Also you'll be able to anchor your hood to your shirt.

RomComPhooey Fri 26-Feb-16 20:21:02

It helps to have something a bit sturdy you can pin your 'hood' on to. The hood is heavy but has a button loop which the chaps fasten to a shirt button. I've seen girls in flimsy blouses really struggle, as the weight of the hood hoiks the blouse up. Also, shoes you can safely get up and down stairs (eg onto/off stage) is good. A lot of young graduands get totally carried away with the flimsy occasionwear side of things....

RomComPhooey Fri 26-Feb-16 20:22:07

Xpost with Edith

Glowlamp Fri 26-Feb-16 20:45:54

This is really helpful - thank you all. I hadn't considered the hood and the weight. I've trawled the uni website for pics and most look like they are wearing black under. The hood is blue with a red trim and one of my fellow students remarked was her colours! She's Autumn smile
I need to look for sensible shoes and a skirt that doesn't restrict stair climbing. I feel slightly dry mouthed at the thought...

RomComPhooey Fri 26-Feb-16 20:47:07

You'll be fine! Congratulations on your achievement.

Caprinihahahaha Fri 26-Feb-16 20:58:31

You'll be fine!
My son strode across the stage and shot me a half laughing/half eye rolling look when I whooped.
I'm an arse. grin
You will be fab. Congratulation

Boozena Fri 26-Feb-16 21:05:13

Ah yes they do pin you in! And def agree with nothing too short, my dress was well below the knee. I think I got it from Next.
Try not to over think the stage bit smile
My cousin did fall down the steps afterwards though, the bruises were shock
My dad came to my graduation- the only school based thing I remember him coming to- and did this funny chortle/cheer when they called my name. It made me lol and put me at ease though!

Glowlamp Fri 26-Feb-16 21:12:57

I'm a bit of a calamity! grin Hope my kids cheer...
Thank you, can't believe it's all over. Phew!

GreenGoth89 Fri 26-Feb-16 22:08:41

I wore newrock boots and a religion dress I found in t k maxx for £45. Unless they have a strict dress code go for something that makes you feel good (but something not really thin so that you can hook the hood on). It's your hard work, so you should be able to go for whatever you want!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now