why do my jeans keep falling down

(20 Posts)
dingit Wed 24-Feb-16 16:33:44

I wear a size 14 ( was 16) but have lost 2 stone. The size 16 fell down so do the 14s. No way am I a 12 ( apart from a random pair from tesco)
I have slim legs, hips and a not too big bum, but I have a hideously large mum tum. Apart from a belt ( or braces smile) which I find uncomfortable, what am I doing wrong?

70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 24-Feb-16 16:41:48

I think the answer Is in the variation of sizes .

Are you buying to fit your waist? (I;m an 'apple' and I find buying jeans a nightmare. I had my gallbladder removed a while ago and couldn't tolerate anything tight over my belly)

I wear the Next Slim;n'Lift . Enough stretch for comfort but not verging into jeggings territory but they need a belt otherwise after an hour I'm hoiking them up every step and after two hours I can take them off without undoing the zip and two buttons. <<sigh>>

I'm sure someone will recommend a particular brand, probably the higher waisted ones.
I find most of them were too low in the rise and though I used to be able to fit Tesco jeans, the last pair hung in my wardrobe unworn until I got pi**ed off and recycled them.

dingit Wed 24-Feb-16 17:44:27

Thanks. I may try next ones next!

superbfairywren Wed 24-Feb-16 18:13:23

I'm having a similar problem. Sainsburys jeggings are my go to. The 16s I bought after having DD were falling off me so I got a 14 but now they're falling down too. They don't seem too big but am forever hoiking them up! Think I need to invest in proper jeans but I hate the thought of trawling the shops to try on as I can never find them to fit!

SnuffleGruntSnorter Wed 24-Feb-16 18:16:54

I have a similar problem and they take my knickers with them blush

burnishedsilver Wed 24-Feb-16 18:18:55

If the area below your waistband is bigger that the waist it'll hold your jeans up. It's a problem for those if us with rounder tummies, where the waist band area can be a bit bigger than the hips.

The answer is slightly higher rise on the jeans so the waistband sits on a narrower spot. Gap true resolution skinnies stay up nicely on me.

louloubelle2 Wed 24-Feb-16 18:27:21

I don't know why more than any other trouser, but finding the right jeans really just is a case of trial and error. Doesn't help that most don't stay the shape you bought once they've been worn a few hours!

As other PPs have said, maybe try a higher rise. Or ones with a bit of elastane. Also, perhaps you are in between sizes, so In your case, a 13? Sadly it seems only more expensive brands tend to do sizes by the inch I've found. If you can stretch to them, even on eBay, my favourites for fit and a variety of styles are JBrand. They often come down to about £60 in sales.

Finally, I was always told to buy as tight as you can to allow for stretch. There shouldn't be any room or give at the top when new.

dingit Wed 24-Feb-16 19:10:14

Looks like high waisted is the way to go, but I'm short waisted, with big boobs, so I've always avoided them.
There nothing for it than to look like a cross between Simon Cowell and one of the seven dwarfs then, is there? grin

velourvoyageur Wed 24-Feb-16 20:21:07

As a teenager I used to buy size 14s and 12s thinking I was tall so these were my sizes. I've grown a bit since then and now buy size 6/8. I somehow had no idea why I had to keep pulling them up. Is it possible you're not seeing yourself as you are?

Passthecake30 Wed 24-Feb-16 20:24:57

I have this problem too....they also take my knickers with themblush I think my waist is too small for my hips...

misslemonsfilingcabinet Wed 24-Feb-16 20:57:16

Yup, I have this! Disagree that it is a problem for apple shaped only. I've an 11 inch difference between waist and hips and the only pair that didn't do this were Levi curve id . Belts work but not that comfortable. Skinnies are the worst for it...

SnuffleGruntSnorter Wed 24-Feb-16 20:58:48

Yes, I have a little waist and big hips too. The jeans are tight-ish over my thighs and bottom but a belt could pull them in by s couple of inches at least.

I didn't have this problem before I got pregnant and put on a bit of extra weight though

copperpipes Wed 24-Feb-16 21:17:16

omg, this is me too! i am a rectangle shape, so no real waist. i also wonder if its because my jeans pull at the knees because knees are tight?

god, when i think about the amount wasted on jeans that dont stay up, even high waisted dont work.

dingit Wed 24-Feb-16 21:23:23

Maybe the answer is braces. Or elastic attached to my bra, like a suspender belt smile

hollyisalovelyname Wed 24-Feb-16 21:24:42

Us apple shapes need Moto Jaime skinnies from Topshop.
They are the biz.

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Wed 24-Feb-16 21:26:03

The answer is a belt. I think it can sometimes be caused by the stretch in the fabric. Belt stops it.

nooddsocksforme Wed 24-Feb-16 22:21:39

I read somewhere that the reason is that they are cut to fit women who are straight up and down. If you are more curvy then you have to but a size big enough to fit round your bum/thighs and then often the waist is too big and they fall down

Pocketrocket31 Wed 24-Feb-16 22:37:27

H&m do half sizes, can make all the difference. Cheap too

N0tfinished Thu 25-Feb-16 07:17:48

I got a brilliant pair of high waisted skinnies from M&S. They were in the Indigo section, labelled jeggings. They're cut like proper jeans ( not elasticated waistband) they are so comfy. They're the ones I dry on the rad so I can put them on again the next day!

bishboschone Thu 25-Feb-16 13:38:41

Buy the smallest ones you can squeeze into , they always stretch !!.. Go and try lots on . I find tesco jeans he best to be honest .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now