If your hair gets overloaded with silicones

(23 Posts)
Bodhicitta Tue 23-Feb-16 06:46:40

What do you use to strip it back and make it normal again?
I was already suffering from what I think was silicone overload (hair felt all plastic and looked lank and dull) and stupidly bought this keratin based hair care range from my hairdresser which initially made it look great and then rapidly worse!
Now my hair just looks awful. Like it's dry but greasy at the same time and also feels plasticky again.. sad
What can I use to get all the crap out so I can start again?

BettyBi0 Tue 23-Feb-16 08:03:09

I've used the treseme naturals shampoo and conditioner before for this. I didn't find it moisturising enough to use long term but it definitely felt like it refreshed my hair without totally stripping it

IsItMeOr Tue 23-Feb-16 08:04:56

I've found the Aussie range really helpful for this. I've been using it for a while now on my frizzy hair, and it's still doing fine.

Bodhicitta Tue 23-Feb-16 10:47:39

Was this ongoing or to get rid of the build up Betty?

IsIt which one did you use from the Aussie range?

MadameDePompom Tue 23-Feb-16 10:55:28

Any clarifying shampoo should do the job.

Whosthemummy16 Tue 23-Feb-16 11:00:39

Have you tried a clarifying shampoo ?
Then a rich conditioner to put the moisture back in.
I use a sulphate free shampoo now and find that I don't get the same build up on my hair. I also rotate my shampoo and conditioner regularly, I don't know why but if I use the same shampoo and conditioner every time I wash my hair it ends up looking a bit rubbish! So I have three different types that I use and just cycle through them!
I think sometimes the hardness of water can also affect your hair too?

IsItMeOr Tue 23-Feb-16 11:01:14

I use the Aussie Frizz Miracle shampoo, because my hair tends to frizz and has got very dry (age and stress!). It was weird that it also went lanky and greasy before I switched.

MrsBee55 Tue 23-Feb-16 11:01:48

Hi Bod,

I had a similar problem earlier this year, mine was like a build up of years worth of silicone and it led to my hair being heavy and limp but also breaking very easily.

I tried lots of things and then a lady in Lush suggested doing a natural rinse followed by natural conditioning. I used 2tbsp of baking soda dissolved in about a litre of water as a shampoo (only massaging the scalp though, not ends) then followed by 2tbsp of apple cider vinegar mixed with a litre of water massaged in the same way. This worked amazingly well for me, it kind of strips the hair of that stodgy feeling and leaves it feeling really clean. I then conditioned it afterwards with an avocado and honey type concoction, of which there are many if you google recipes and find whichever suits your hair best.

I have long, thick hair, so these measurements would need adjusting to your length. This worked best for me and brought my hair back to life, I haven't had to do another baking soda rinse for months now but still do regular avocado hair masks instead of layering on lots of product everyday. Hope this helps, good luck!

ChishandFips33 Tue 23-Feb-16 12:54:22

I use baby shampoo every few washes as its silicone free

Washing up liquid/cheap shower gel or the cheapy shampoos to strip and then pamper with some silicone free conditioner

Some body shop stuff is silicone free too for continued use

BabyGanoush Tue 23-Feb-16 13:02:29

Ausie mega shampoo

Easy

HeyNonnyMaybe Tue 23-Feb-16 13:08:13

Don't all Aussie products have silicone in them?

jasmine1979 Tue 23-Feb-16 13:38:45

Redken cleansing cream is the best I have ever tried. A bit more pricey than many, but you only need a really small amount and it cleans so well it makes your hair literally squeaky clean. I try and use it at least once a month and leave it on for around 10 minutes and its made a huge difference to my hair.

MrsMarigold Tue 23-Feb-16 13:43:02

Capasal for dandruff and eczema, have to ask for it OTC at the pharmacy about £8.50 a bottle but very good.

BabyGanoush Tue 23-Feb-16 13:43:03

it's silicone free, and specifically designed to leave no "build up"

Not sure about the other ingredients though, the list is:

Aqua, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Citrate, Parfum, Sodium Xylenesulfonate, Sodium Chloride, Citric Acid, Sodium Benzoate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Propylene Glycol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Linalool, Benzyl Salicylate, Limonene, Magnesium Nitrate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Anigozanthos Flavidus Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylparaben, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, CI 19140, Methylparaben, Magnesium Chloride, Butylparaben, Methylisothiazolinone, CI 17200, Propylparaben, Ascorbic Acid, Sodium Sulfite, Potassium Sorbate.

I don't really know what these ingredients are! But I know silicone is usually on the label as "dimethicone" or "cyclomethicone" and can't see those on the list.

REN is very good for products without any "nasties" and their shampoo is silicone free and very pure, no SLS either, but a bit more pricey!

Neveradullm0ment Tue 23-Feb-16 13:55:43

I used a normal shampoo Sainsburys baby shampoo or Aveda Shampure if feeling generous (both have sulphate but no silicone - I don't think shampoo tends have silicone in it, conditioner is the main culprit) and stopped conditioning my hair, but let it dry naturally. I put no product on it at all, left it three days between each wash. It was much better after just a couple of weeks. If you can bear letting it dry naturally and avoiding any product

whatdoIget Tue 23-Feb-16 13:57:52

Pantene clarifying shsmpoo

whatdoIget Tue 23-Feb-16 13:58:02

Shampoo

NNalreadyinuse Tue 23-Feb-16 15:56:38

I quite like aussie mega. And that dirt cheap alberto balsam apple one.

Anyone tried the new loreal elvive clay shampoo. Only used it twice but it seems good so far. Hair doesn't feel weighed down.

Toxicity Tue 23-Feb-16 16:21:57

Pureology do a really nice clarifying shampoo and you don't need much so it lasts me ages as I only use it once every couple of weeks or so.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Tue 23-Feb-16 16:26:38

Aussie Mega has worked wonders for my hair.

MyFavouriteClintonisGeorge Tue 23-Feb-16 16:36:35

I like the Origins Peppermint one.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Tue 23-Feb-16 16:41:04

Just to add, beware putting too much keratin or protein treatments in your hair. It will cause it to become brittle. Try an oil based conditioner instead of keratin.

amarmai Tue 23-Feb-16 17:28:18

go poo free until your hair finds its proper balance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now