Facelifts and fillers on BBC - what did you think of it?

(28 Posts)
iPaid Sun 21-Feb-16 13:15:40

Did anyone watch the programme on BBC featuring this doctor. What did you think?

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b070p304

iPaid Sun 21-Feb-16 15:40:22

No-one see it?

Alwayshavepeckham Sun 21-Feb-16 15:42:21

I'm fascinated, will watch today & report back.

squoosh Sun 21-Feb-16 15:52:11

I watched it. My first thought was 'Holy God, what has he done to his face?!'

Then he mentioned that he'd made some bad decisions re. plastic surgery when he was younger that he now regretted so I felt a bit bad for him.

Nothing on the programme made me want to rush out and have any cosmetics procedures done. And as for having a facelift done in some pokey basement office? Ummm, no thanks.

squoosh Sun 21-Feb-16 15:55:00

Plus his haircut was all kinds of mesmerising in its awfulness. He did seem nice though.

Behooven Sun 21-Feb-16 15:58:06

I watched it last night. Really interesting characters. His mum looked amazing if a little frozen. I totally get the 'just want to look fresher' aspect of it that the woman who was 50 said. I would try Botox and fillers if I could afford it. The young woman who he turned away was beyond vain though, she felt her eyebrows were a bit "asymmetrical" How long do you have to stare in a mirror to come up with that one?

iPaid Sun 21-Feb-16 16:06:53

Oh glad I'm not the only one who watched it! Though I had to close my eyes for the face lift shock. I couldn't decide if it was effective or not not that I'm tempted oh no not me

Gatekeeper Sun 21-Feb-16 16:25:50

ehhh; have just watched a bit of it. His face and hair is awful and his mother looks like she can't move her mouth. Just got to the bit with Senga and her terrible rough fag wrecked voice. She doesn't look any younger than 63 despite coughing up £20,000

sad and depressing to watch really

Behooven Sun 21-Feb-16 16:42:26

Senga's voice was rough, she made weird dog noises when she was getting her treatments and nearly kicked the mum (who was holding her hand) in the face.

squoosh Sun 21-Feb-16 16:43:01

I was wondering what Senga had looked like before all the treatment!

Gatekeeper Sun 21-Feb-16 16:45:59

the photo showed her looking much the same only with shorter hair

squoosh Sun 21-Feb-16 16:46:53

Ah, I missed that I'll have to go back and watch that bit.

Obs2016 Sun 21-Feb-16 16:49:24

I enjoyed watching it. I too was shocked by his face and hairstyles, but his explanation made sense. He seemed so nice and if someone wants to have some Botox or fillers, so long as they don't go mad, good for them. Wish I could afford it!

squoosh Sun 21-Feb-16 16:53:13

Beehoven the 23 year old with the allegedly asymmetrical eyebrows was just ridiculous. Develop a hobby that involves something other than looking in the mirror all day sweetie!

iPaid Sun 21-Feb-16 16:55:55

He did seem nice, didn't he? I just couldn't decide if the treatments worked or not.

It was very good free advertising for him; his website says they are having to take on more staff to cope with all the enquiries.

Behooven Sun 21-Feb-16 17:20:06

Yes, free advertising on the BBC! And for the face cream too which sold out of QVC at the time.

SwedishEdith Sun 21-Feb-16 17:26:27

Didn't see it but did watch that programme about the brain on Thursday. That had a bit about botox. It said that not only are botoxed faces harder to read because of their lack of expression but that having botox makes it harder for the botoxees to read other's expressions. We mimic people's expressions very slightly when we see them which sends a signal to the brain to empathise. Botoxees can't do this properly so feel less empathy.

Sorry, I know it's not really relevant here but it was so interesting I just wanted to tell someone.

Behooven Sun 21-Feb-16 17:37:37

I can see why that would be the case, some botoxed faces are completely expressionless to say the least.

TheGirlOnTheLanding Sun 21-Feb-16 17:40:03

That's really interesting, Edith. Had never heard that, and now want to watch the programme.

I watched the cosmetic surgery programme and found it fascinating too, not so much for the cosmetic surgery but for the clients, who were so upfront about their reasons for having work done in a very Glaswegian way. I was also surprised at the doctor's very honest admission that his bad cosmetic surgery made it hard to advise clients to stick with a natural look (the guy with the very built up cheekbones and lip fillers, for example.)

Behooven Sun 21-Feb-16 17:42:32

And he was a beauty writer or something like that iirc?

SwedishEdith Sun 21-Feb-16 17:45:47

Think it was this episode

I'm now watching this facelift one... I was shocked he was only 34 though.

LaurieFairyCake Sun 21-Feb-16 17:49:25

I haven't seen it and I won't because I had to read this thread entirely to find out if that picture was a man or a woman.

His poor face is literally the worst advert for plastic surgery I've ever seen (in one so young as obviously I've had to discount Wildenstein woman)

SwedishEdith Sun 21-Feb-16 17:52:55

His poor face is literally the worst advert for plastic surgery I've ever seen (in one so young as obviously I've had to discount Wildenstein woman)

Tbf, he admits that in the programme.

LaurieFairyCake Sun 21-Feb-16 17:54:43

sad
That's so sad

squoosh Sun 21-Feb-16 18:02:36

That is v interesting re. the knock on effect of botox on the brain Edith. We're so used to thinking of the external being entirely separate from the internal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now