What do I wear? London Fashion Week event TONIGHT

(7 Posts)
ThreeBecameFour Sat 20-Feb-16 10:14:33

I am going to a LFW presentation and do afterwards this evening. It is for a pretty wacky designer. I will be with a client and I do not work in this industry. All my clothes are high street brands bar a nice bag which I got for my 40th which obviously I'll be using tonight. Found out last night I am going...very excited as have never been to anything like this but nervous as I'll be a fish out of water...
What do I wear? I am in a panic. I am not uber trendy and more classic, so everything I own is pretty boring. I have two small kids so that kind of took over and I don't have much confidence in clothes. Was thinking black cigarette pants, black lace top and jewellery, leopard print flats (can't wear heels) but is this too boring? I am a size 12/14 and have a bit of a mum tum so my dresses are not sitting properly at the moment so I just won't be comfortable. Wondering if I will be very under dressed? I do not have time or budget to buy anything new today. Please help me! What does one wear to this kind of thing?!!

seoulsurvivor Sat 20-Feb-16 10:17:11

I used to go similar events and you will look great. Most people put in very little effort, I'd say.

Outfit sounds perfect.

Dafspunk Sat 20-Feb-16 10:18:59

You have described exactly what I would have advised. Go for it!

SuperFlyHigh Sat 20-Feb-16 10:33:26

Is there a jewellery/gift shop nearby you could cash into and get a statement necklace? Or do you own one. That could be good as a talking point.

I think at the very least I'd do above (oliver bonas great for statement necklaces) as then if they do want to recall you they'll think ThreebecameFour was wearing that amazing necklace. As well as your personality etc.

SuperFlyHigh Sat 20-Feb-16 10:34:28

The outfit is fine in itself though. What they all wear (brother is fashion photographer).

louloubelle2 Sat 20-Feb-16 11:56:05

Do not get a statement necklace, they are so over, by years.

SuperFlyHigh I have never thought to wear clothes to create a talking point, or for people to " recall"me later. Sounds really narcissistic to me.

Black sounds like a good bet, and eer more on the casual side than smart I reckon. I'd even consider trainers.

SuperFlyHigh Sat 20-Feb-16 12:00:55

loulou the sort of necklace I mean is a graphic one or there's a cube one. Not a statement eg huge jewels.

When I wear my oliver bonas cubes yellow necklace out at any events (yes fashion, museums etc) yes I sometimes get comments. It's not narcissistic it's just a talking point and yes it gets you noticed. In fact sometimes if I wear eg a certain Cos top someone will notice say it's Cos etc... Ta da a talking point.

Sorry if you don't like the fashion world but I mix quite a lot with friends and family in that world and yes a few are shallow. Not much I can do about that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now