This jacket for everyday? Vs this one at the back of my wardrobe?

(24 Posts)
keeponkeepinon Fri 19-Feb-16 21:03:54

www.next.co.uk/x572148s4#797854

For the school run and everyday wear? £75 seems a lot but I think there's removable inner for extra warmth.
or...

www.lyst.co.uk/clothing/oasis-steph-drape-parka-khaki/

This is at the back of my wardrobe. I've felt its a bit baggy at times though. And its microfibre so not exactly warm for spring.

burnishedsilver Fri 19-Feb-16 21:08:29

My first reaction was that there's not enough of a difference to justify buying a second jacket. However, if the Oasis one is at the back of your wardrobe its there for a reason. Give it to a charity shop to free up space in your wardrobe and buy one you'll actually wear.

keeponkeepinon Fri 19-Feb-16 21:26:38

I did wear it last summer tbh, its just nowhere near warm enough for spring. Just fine microfibre fabric, and I'm looking forward to moving on from my big thermal coat!

Ginkypig Sat 20-Feb-16 00:40:52

If you want to save money, can you wear a cardigan or another layer under the one you have so its warm enough?

I do like the next one though. I think 75 is loads though!

BackforGood Sat 20-Feb-16 00:46:47

I agree with others - it's not different enough for anyone to be able to justify spending £75 on a new one, surely?
If it's still cold, then keep wearing your Winter coat until it warms up confused

keeponkeepinon Sat 20-Feb-16 06:53:06

I have vouchers that'll take it to about half price smile

KnockMeDown Sat 20-Feb-16 07:01:00

I think the Oasis one is much nicer. I would carry on wearing your winter one for now - it's certainly still cold enough! And use your voucher on some layers to go under the Oasis one for when it gets a bit warmer.

Though if past years are anything to go by, we will go straight from cold to very warm with no in between, in which case you won't need the Next one anyway.

clippityclop Sat 20-Feb-16 07:07:00

Another vote for the Oasis one, I like the fact that it has a hood, don't think the other one does. Layer up and be smug for saving £75, maybe treat yourself to a new scarf.

Scarydinosaurs Sat 20-Feb-16 07:09:00

Scarf and layers! Your old one is much nicer!

ScarletForYa Sat 20-Feb-16 07:13:04

I think the Next one is lovely.

I don't like the Oasis one, something almost frumpy about it. Donate!

keeponkeepinon Sat 20-Feb-16 07:39:19

Well this is interesting! I think that because the oasis one isnt tailored at the shoulders it can somehow make me look bigger. I've dicovered recently that I need properly fitting seams on the shoulders. Anything more drapey or lower just looks a bit wrong. Ai think I need more structured clothes.

keeponkeepinon Sat 20-Feb-16 12:52:18

Next one has hood and is cotton. I prefer the cotton to the microfibre, itsbit more....aappropriate to the style. The microfibre seems a bit....aging?? And it has a removable inner for when its warmer. Its just a bit more me. Am I being daft?

I wouldn't buy the Next one. Agree with the others that it's too similar to the one you've already got.

Floisme Sat 20-Feb-16 13:09:43

I can't open the Next link so can't compare the two but I have a coat with a removable lining and it's a pain in the arse. I never do remove it cos it would be too much hassle to put it back but it's always slipping down and I regularly get my arms tangled up in it. Very entertaining for anyone watching though!

However I don't see the point of a functional, all-weather type coat like the Oasis one if it doesn't have a hood.

So I guess I'm on the fence!

Floisme Sat 20-Feb-16 13:12:02

Ah sorry, I think the Oasis one does have a hood? In that case, I'd stick with it till you've found something you really like.

Removable linings are shit.

TSSDNCOP Sat 20-Feb-16 13:36:17

I like the Oasis one. My nana could rock the Next one.

keeponkeepinon Sat 20-Feb-16 14:20:10

flo how is the lining fastened in? This is buttoned all the way round almost like a quilted gilet. The oasis one does have a hood but I would not call it functional or all weather - its more of a sunny day cover up, theres not a square inch of insulation in it. Like I say its just that soft microfibre fabric - as thin as a t shirt really. So even with a jumper its not going to do much. And I do really like it. I've just lost confidence in my decisions in thelastccouple of years! Which is why I am often on here after opinions!
I guess its tricky when people have entirely different senses of style. I am very much a chelsea boot /desert boot/jeans/brown leather/stripe t shirt sort of girl. A cotton parka seems to fit that better somehow. All on the fabric - the oasis one looks weird with my orinoco club boots. They're more rugged. I'm not sure I'm making sense now!

keeponkeepinon Sat 20-Feb-16 14:21:47

Weirdly TSSDNCOP, I feel like its the other way round! I can't help but feel a bit pat butcher in the oasis one!

burnishedsilver Sat 20-Feb-16 15:05:24

If you feel a bit Bat Butcher in it get rid of it and never speek of it again! It has no business being in your wardrobe.

burnishedsilver Sat 20-Feb-16 15:18:31

Pat, not Bat!

keeponkeepinon Sat 20-Feb-16 15:34:12

grin

hugoagogo Sat 20-Feb-16 16:33:29

I would eBay the oasis one- it seems clear you don't really like it- the material, fit and lack of warmth.

Not sure if the next one is the answer, have you tried it on? but I do like it.

Floisme Sat 20-Feb-16 16:51:13

keepon The lining is fixed with buttons. There are zillions of them and they're quite small so I can never be arsed unfastening/refastening them all. Then it slips down in the sleeves - always poking out, so elegant!

I do feel your pain. Finding a coat that's functional in the UK climate but also has any smidgeon of style.... Every winter I promise myself I'm going to nail it but never do.

keeponkeepinon Sat 20-Feb-16 16:57:40

I've tried the next one and I do really like it. I dont think next have done it justice in the pics. Its a good fit and length. A nice lighter green very spring like.
The oasis one looks fine all fastened up but if I wear it open it just drapes about and while this would look great on some, I feel it looks a bit shapeless on me as I really prefer structured jackets. Maybe I will ebayIit I might just think about it. Oasis jacket great for summer as a cover up though without being hot. My winter coat is an insulated parka so hey why not make it three!? A parka for all seasons?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now