Tretinoin/Retin A 0.1% causing my face to fall off

(17 Posts)
Blondiewoman007 Fri 19-Feb-16 16:25:28

I've been using tretinoin 0.05% cream for the last year or so with no problems aside from a little peeling which I easily managed to exfoliate off. I feel it helped spots, blackheads and made my skin 'glow' a little but didn't find any noticeable improvement in my wrinkles. Therefore when my current tube of 0.05% finished I ordered a higher strength 0.1% which was only available as a gel. I've only been able to apply it on two or three occasions as my whole face peels so badly I can't wear make up for about a week afterwards. Exfoliating doesn't really help as the peeling is so bad in places it has caused bleeding! Not good I know.
I've obviously stopped using it but wondered if anyone else has used this strength and could advise. Do I go back to the lower strength and accept no wrinkle improvement? Or am I doing something wrong with the application of the gel? I use a SA toner around 4 nights per week and usually avoid this if I apply tretinoin gel.

Ididnthearanything Fri 19-Feb-16 18:41:34

I would go back to the 0.05%. Afaik, there is no great benefit to using the stronger strength, just more potential irritation. While you may not notice a difference in wrinkles, there undoubtedly is, but it may be too subtle yet. With continued use, over the next few years, it will certainly halt the ageing process and improve your skin. SPF 50 every single day too.

Jjcrackers Fri 19-Feb-16 18:44:23

Where do you get it from? Also can I ask what factor 50 you use? Does it cause chalk face? Xxx

Ridingthegravytrain Fri 19-Feb-16 18:46:54

The gel is way worse for my skin than the cream. Gel at .1%was peely exorcist face and a bit sore, cream at .1% was very mild peeling skin like you described with your .05%.

The gel is meant to be better for acne as it is non comedogenic

Wolpertinger Fri 19-Feb-16 18:52:32

There isn't supposed to be a benefit to 0.1% but if you follow the Hotandflashy blog she uses it and definitely seems to have had results. She posted about it recently - however she seems to have spent a year shock transitioning up to 0.1%.

Stopping the 0.05% and just using the 0.1% would definitely be a mistake - you need to go back and if you are going to use the 0.1% accept it is going to take you months and months of transition to get on it.

And don't exfoliate off the dead skin, it just traumatises your skin more. You need to treat your skin with complete love. I like Cerave with my Retin A as it's full of skin barrier ingredients but when I'm sore I swap to Avene Cicalfate.

And broad spectrum SPF 50 without fail everyday. My absolute favourite is Heliocare, definitely no chalkface.

sj73 Fri 19-Feb-16 18:57:04

I'm suffering from the same today! I used the 0.5 for over a year and I felt it stopped having such an effect. I've switched to 0.1 too. I think you should only use it about twice a week and never on consecutive nights as I've discovered!

Floisme Fri 19-Feb-16 18:58:01

Speaking as someone whose face nearly did fall off, my advice is to bin it right away.

Admittedly the cause wasn't Retin A, more a general product overload. But I ignored the warning signs and have had hypersensitive skin ever since.

sj73 Fri 19-Feb-16 18:58:33

Ps: I mix it with cerave night cream which helps. I've never been able to find 0.1 in in cream form. Could anyone post a link please?

Spandexpants007 Fri 19-Feb-16 18:59:17

Stop exfoliating and use cetophil to wash instead.

mulberrybag Fri 19-Feb-16 19:06:11

I use the 0.1% but can only cope with 2/3 times per week max, my skin does peel but I gentle rub it with cetaphil in the shower every day and seems to be ok. I've always had the crappest skin and it is finally starting to have a glowy look to it - when it's not falling off that is grin

StillStayingClassySanDiego Fri 19-Feb-16 19:31:34

I hope your skin recovers, it sounds like some good advice from women who've had a go with prescription Retin A.

I've ordered some 0.025% Tretinoin to start me off.

Naicecuppatea Fri 19-Feb-16 19:49:34

Where do you get the 0.1% retin-A from please? Agree with all the posters saying to take it very slowly. The gel is even more potent than the same strength cream.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Fri 19-Feb-16 19:58:06

I got mine off Geoff's Pharmacy, a range of Tretinoin strengths there.

Blondiewoman007 Fri 19-Feb-16 23:53:29

Thanks for the advice everyone. I got mine from Geoff pharmacy too but I think at the time the 0.1% was only available as a gel. I'm on holiday in the US at the moment so not using retin a anyway as it's so hot but I'll go back to using 0.05% when I go back home.
I had a look at Cerave in a drugstore a few days ago but the product for oily skin looks like a face wash and I like a cream cleanser which I can take off with a wet flannel. My skin is really oily so I avoid products for dry skin.

Blondiewoman007 Sat 20-Feb-16 00:20:41

Oh and forgot to add I'm using La Roche Posay Anthelios XL 50+ ultra light at the moment and it feels nice. Not chalky under make up at all.

Wolpertinger Sat 20-Feb-16 07:53:10

You want the Cerave PM moisturiser. It says dry skin - ignore it- it's an oil free moisturiser full of ceramides and niacinamide which are lovely skin barrier ingredients which are what your skin needs repairing right now.

Blondiewoman007 Sat 20-Feb-16 15:56:54

I'll pick up that moisturiser while I'm in the US wolp. Thanks for the info.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now