Telling DH I'd like a nose job... Advice please!

(5 Posts)
Lilacselarina1 Fri 19-Feb-16 10:12:17

So, for several years I've been thinking about having my nose done, I'd like to go ahead this year. I don't have a ginormous conk, just a bit more Roman than I'd prefer! It is pure vanity, of course, but it does irritate me. The thing is, not wanting to draw attention to the blasted thing, I've never mentioned my nasal hang-ups to my husband (of >10 years).
So, how to broach the topic with him? He will think it is completely ridiculous and will be baffled as to why I have come up with this out of the blue! (He is one of those blokes that probably wouldn't notice if I wore a tracksuit with a handbag and blue eyeshadow). We each keep some of our earnings separately so I would pay for it myself.
Obviously I'm not asking his 'permission' (as if!), but it seems only fair to discuss it with him.
Advice please!

Lilacselarina1 Fri 19-Feb-16 10:12:45

So, for several years I've been thinking about having my nose done, I'd like to go ahead this year. I don't have a ginormous conk, just a bit more Roman than I'd prefer! It is pure vanity, of course, but it does irritate me. The thing is, not wanting to draw attention to the blasted thing, I've never mentioned my nasal hang-ups to my husband (of >10 years).
So, how to broach the topic with him? He will think it is completely ridiculous and will be baffled as to why I have come up with this out of the blue! (He is one of those blokes that probably wouldn't notice if I wore a tracksuit with a handbag and blue eyeshadow). We each keep some of our earnings separately so I would pay for it myself.
Obviously I'm not asking his 'permission' (as if!), but it seems only fair to discuss it with him.
Advice please!

Jmangel Fri 19-Feb-16 10:29:25

I think would be best to broach it by saying that you'd like to talk to him about something really important to you but say you want to talk once kids are in bed, after dinner etc. That way he knows something important is up and you're not rail roading him with it. My DH responds well to this kind of heads up and also less likely to dismiss an issue if I've made a big deal about it beforehand. Then once sat down, do a background of how you've been unhappy for years, didn't want to draw his attention to it before whilst you were wooing him (!) and then launch into it. Men like details so how much cost/down time, how would childcare/work be affected, reassurance that it is only your nose and you're not about to have plastic surgeons on speed dial (!), will it impact on holiday time/ treats in terms of expense - definitely say that you will self fund it. Don't say you've actually started the process, seen a consultant etc as you wanted him to help you to choose one (men love to be consulted!). Good luck - luckily I had my nose job a year before I met my DH so I didn't have to factor anyone else in so know this must be hard.

TooMuchOfEverything Fri 19-Feb-16 10:33:33

I disagree that men need to be handled in a certain way. I'd just say 'I've always disliked my nose and decided to do something about it'.

Lilacselarina1 Fri 19-Feb-16 10:50:13

Thanks ladies - think I will combine these approaches!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now