Help me out of my mum-bun rut

(15 Posts)
BettyBi0 Thu 18-Feb-16 10:51:19

I've been scraping my long wavy/frizzy hair back into a mum-bun for 2 years now. Mainly out of laziness as I never seem to have time to brush it let alone style it properly anymore.

It really doesn't suit me either as I have a kind of triangle/pear shaped face with a wide jaw.

Any tips for quick new styles to try that preferably involve no blow drying/straightening?

I'm thinking of getting some kind of fringe but not sure if that would be hard work. Do fringes take a lot of styling on wavy/frizzy hair?

gBean Thu 18-Feb-16 10:53:43

Honestly? If ask your hairdresser for advice. Without seeing your face/hair it's hard to say. It might be that a loose perm might be best for you, length depends on lots of things

BettyBi0 Thu 18-Feb-16 10:57:15

Wow, never heard of loose perms - I just remember the strange wet look ones from my teens.

Does having a loose perm mean that you don't have to blow dry?

Whenever I'm making the effort with my hair I have to blow dry and then either hot curler or tong curl to make a nicer, looser version of the frizzy curls/waves I already have

HeyMacWey Thu 18-Feb-16 10:58:02

Don't go for a fringe.
Can you not get into the habit of wearing it down? If you use the right product and blow dry it on day one it should last you a few days so not much upkeep.
Or look at half up half down doo's?

HeyMacWey Thu 18-Feb-16 10:59:53

Or get some long layers put in to give it more shape that won't require too much styling?

gBean Thu 18-Feb-16 11:05:12

My mate is a hairdresser and says perms have come a long way from 80s Kylie (cringe at own teenage hair).

I was thinking it might be an easy style to wash and leave them finger comb through

fieldfare Thu 18-Feb-16 11:19:52

I've just had mine chopped off from a long layered style (to the middle of my back) to a collar bone length bob. My hairdresser cut it to the length of my longest layer, I still have a long sweepy fringe but I love it. Mine's wavy too and now without the weight it's going more curly and it's fab.

Annarose2014 Thu 18-Feb-16 11:23:30

In my experience the only way to get out of the updo-rut is to chop it off.

I did that before christmas and I had to make an effort to actually wear it down as it was too short at my neck to twist it up as usual.

Now its grown again and once more I'm twisting it up every day. Booooooring. I've realised if I keep it long I'm inevitably going to spend the next 20 years with the same updo!

Am going to chop it again next week.

EmGee Thu 18-Feb-16 13:53:34

Agree with Annarose - you will have to cut it shorter. Once you get into the bun rut, it's impossible to get out of it. Spoken from bitter experience.

You sound like you've hair a bit like mine. Best thing I ever did was get a Babyliss Big hair rotating brush. Could never blow dry my hair the traditional way but this styler is fabulous and works when my hair is shorter or a bit longer. It makes all the difference I swear!! In fact, if I had discovered it before I went for the chop, I might have kept my hair longer. It is also mega quick. I air dry my hair til about 90% then use the Babyliss for a few mins and voila, manageable and well-behaved hair.

BettyBi0 Thu 18-Feb-16 14:48:05

Oooo EmGee I'm feeling tempted by that gadget! ... Does it work out quicker to use that blow dry+straighteners?

I'm still tempted by a fringe. Are they really that hard work?

I think my problem is that my hair is really thick and long so whatever I do with it to make it ok to wear down takes ages.

Maybe I just need to lose 4-5 inches to make it easier to work with

Annarose2014 Thu 18-Feb-16 15:43:38

I do find the Big Hair very quick. Secret is not to expect it to dry your hair. But you only have to dry it quickly and messily as then the Big Hair makes it look respectable. I love mine - but again, never use it when I can just do a lazy ponytail so the rut takes over every time.

PhoenixRises Thu 18-Feb-16 15:47:46

Second the Babyliss (or third or fourth it!).

I also have frizzy wavy hair - I also dry it 90% of the way and then finish off with the brush. If I'm going out really posh then I'll add straighteners in, but day to day, I just use the Big Hair and let it go. By the end of the day I do have some curl at the ends, but it looks intentional and stylish (well, I think so anyway!) not the "can't be bothered" look.

specialsubject Thu 18-Feb-16 17:11:34

get it straightened. (I have wellastrate and it is brilliant, lasts a year). If you have frizzy hair it won't be dead straight unless you use straighteners, but it will look so much better and swish properly.

burnishedsilver Thu 18-Feb-16 17:30:53

Very few people (if any) have hair that looks good without blowdrying or styling of some sort. No pain no gain.

burnishedsilver Thu 18-Feb-16 17:31:41

Unless your hair is dead straight a fringe is a pita.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now