Advice needed - tricky outfit for a wedding

(8 Posts)
willnotbetamed Wed 17-Feb-16 20:53:32

I'm hoping mumsnet wisdom and style will help me out here! I'm really rubbish at clothes and could do with someone to point me in the right direction.

DH's brother is getting married this May and we're all going to the wedding. DS3 will be 10 months old by then, and since I breastfed his brothers until they were about a year old, I assume I will still be feeding him too - probably by then it will be just once in the evening, but I would like to play safe and find a wedding outfit that is either two-piece or has buttons that I can undo at the top. I'm fed up with maternity/breastfeeding dresses though! They are all really practical and made of lovely washable fabrics with patterns that won't show stains... and I have been wearing that kind of thing for the last seven months, I've just had enough!

Does anyone have any tips for me for a stylish summer outfit that will allow me to breastfeed in the evening without having to cart myself off to a private room to disrobe? I like the idea of a blouse and skirt or a vintage button through dress but I'm a bit clueless really. I would also wear trousers with a floaty top if I could find something that was smart enough. I'm a very standard size 10/12, medium height, with a bit of a bust for at least a few more months...

Thanks in advance!

MoonlightandMusic Wed 17-Feb-16 23:27:33

Not sure of your budget, but how about this? It is much less 'busy' a print IRL and the fabric is lovely.

willnotbetamed Thu 18-Feb-16 07:37:32

Oooh thanks Moonlight it's lovely! It's definitely at the upper limit of what I want to spend, but I am very persuadable for the right thing, and I love prints. The only drawback is the long sleeves, I live in central Europe and it can get to 30+ degrees here in May...but I will think about it.

ftmsoon Thu 18-Feb-16 07:49:40

I felt the same at DB's wedding. I just wore a normal dress that I loved. It had a zip up the back that I attached a bit of ribbon too so I could open and close it easily and wore a big pashmina. I sat in the back pew and fed DD in the church service! I then snuck off to a quiet area after dinner and in the evening to do the same. DD was about 3 months.

MoonlightandMusic Thu 18-Feb-16 21:03:10

Yes, 30+ would rather mitigate against long sleeves!

Not sure if this is too casual?

willnotbetamed Thu 18-Feb-16 21:40:34

ftm hmm maybe you're right and I should just not think ahead so far - maybe DS3 will not feed/not feed much and I can probably find a corner to sit in as long as I don't need to remove the entire dress to get a boob out. That opens up the game a bit...

Moonlight I love both the ones you suggested - you have mind-read my tastes exactly. I think this one might be a bit too casual for the evening, although it would look great in the day, and my BIL is happily not bothered about any particular dress code - the reception in in a circus tent.

I'm definitely feeling more cheerful about finding something now! Thank you both.

MoonlightandMusic Thu 18-Feb-16 22:33:16

grin - enjoy the wedding!

MoonlightandMusic Thu 18-Feb-16 22:45:14

Also, I know the green dress won't do for the wedding but looks like you could get 20% off in March if you wanted it for an autumn/spring event.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now