So make up has changed - some one give me a quick tutorial please!

(6 Posts)
MrsPear Tue 16-Feb-16 10:48:07

Ok I am mid 30s but have only just realised that there is more than foundation and powder. What is primer? What is bb cream? And what are all these layers that are put on? Do you really just rub in each layer - do they not just mix and end up a mess?

hollieberrie Tue 16-Feb-16 10:56:11

I use primer. It basically smooths out your skin and absorbs oil, giving you a good base to then apply make up. Apply sparingly , wait a couple of minutes then do your foundation. I have oily skin and use a Smash box one, I like it.

Bb cream, contouring etc , I am less sure about. Hopefully someone else will be along to advise!

MrsPear Tue 16-Feb-16 12:00:22

Ok primer sounds a good idea as I have oily areas. Thanks

Judydreamsofhorses Tue 16-Feb-16 12:11:50

BB cream is a bit like a tinted moisturiser, so you use it instead of foundation, not as well as. (CC cream is similar, but more designed to sort out any issues you have with your skin's colour - eg, red patches, sallow tone.)

I think primer's definitely worth being an extra step - I also use the Smashbox one - as it really does help keep everything in place, but other than that I have foundation or tinted moisturiser, depending on what I'm doing/time of year/how my skin is.

Judydreamsofhorses Tue 16-Feb-16 12:12:32

Oh, and contouring, no idea. I often see girls with big brown stripes down their faces, so i think it's that.

moosemama Tue 16-Feb-16 13:01:31

I am equally confused op. Haven't really bothered with much make-up for years, but decided to make an effort. Went out to buy some tinted moisturiser only to find they don't sell it anymore.

I did eventually find my way to some bb cream, as that seemed to do the same job, but I can't get on with primers etc. I bought some primer that's supposed to tighten enlarged pores, but all it did was sort of set and stop the bb cream from gliding on. confused

I want something simple and light that I can just slap on and go, not multiple layers you have to apply separately then wait before you put the next layer on. Maybe that's too big an ask now my skin is so much older (45) though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now