Home hair dye - what's the worst that can happen ?

(4 Posts)
70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 14-Feb-16 22:08:22

Ruling out allergic reactions which can be serious in some people.

I totter off to the local Superdrugs every month or so and pick up a pack of their hairdye (or two if it's on a special offer).
No real science behind my choice I have to say, I buy a blonde~ish one (currantly 10.00 and 10.0. There is a difference but I'm darned if I know what)

DD was helping me get the bits at the back saying "Why don;t you go to a salon for this?".

Well, in no particular order:
I am exceptionally tightfisted. I don't want to spend £40 when I can do my own.
I don't like having my scalp touched (even having it cut makes me wince)
I don't do planning with my hair. I like to wake up and think "Haircut" or "Dye".
It needs cut every 5-6 weeks , dye every 3 weeks.

I am getting bored with it a bit but I don't want to go darker . If I put a wash in over my dyed hair what;ll happen?
For example, a wash in red on my dyed copper.
Will it go pink? Green?
I'll do a patch test of course but I don't do a strand test .

I appreciate the £££ spent at a salon is for their skill and experience (of which I have neither) but I have very short hair so any cock ups , I can crop out.

Esspee Mon 15-Feb-16 19:20:30

I've been using the same product now for 50 years, varying the colour depending on the season and personal whim. I often mix colours and sometimes apply in streaks for half the developing time before a general application. Not only have I saved a fortune by doing it myself but the result is more natural and it leaves my hair in great condition.
If you intend to experiment I would suggest sticking to the same brand. Call the company helpline and ask for their advice.

Stripeybeachhut Mon 15-Feb-16 19:27:28

I use nice and easy by clairol which has always given me great results.

I once had a hair disaster and spend a fortune on a hairdresser to sort it out, which they did not. So I went out and bought the above and it was brilliant so I've used it ever since.

Wardy1993 Mon 15-Feb-16 19:35:00

As long as you think about what colour you are putting in nothing bad can happen. The way to look at it is that you are copper at the moment which is a 'warm' colour- what colour is your natural? You could easily get a highlighting cap and pin and and some tiny highlights with a bleach mix which work the same as the tints. I used to use garnier bleach- I have dark brown hair and it turned me platinum so you would have no problems. If you want to be less brassy then go for a colour that is called 'ash' or something along those lines- these are cool colours. Remember that if something terrible happens you can always just put a dark brown over the top that will easily cover it up! If ypu want a red tint I recommend garnier reds - I use them (two different shades to get a nice shade on my hair) and it does not fade. Have fun and let us know what you go for!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now