help please, nice top to go with jeans

(40 Posts)
SmileAndNod Thu 11-Feb-16 13:45:51

I never get dressed up anymore, I don't need to. I wear mostly jeans, stripy tops possibly a vest and a cardi if I'm feeling adventurous. I feel old and mumsy and not at all glamorous. I'm also suffering with PND and PTSD and I'm a grey shadow of my former self. I look unhappy, even when I'm having an 'ok' day, and have put on weight.

Soon, I'd quite like a night out with DH. Nothing fancy just maybe a pub and a meal so nothing dressy and then I realized I don't have 'going out' stuff any more (as I don't)

I came across these cecilia and kitty Are they as frumpy as me? Can I do a lot lot better?

I'm 43 and hate my body. 5'7 size 10/12 but fat/untoned with it. Which shops should I be looking in? Don't want to spend a fortune, though I'd rather buy something that will last a few years forever. I have a 'winter' colouring.

Please help. Am happy to shop online as some days I find it hard to be in busy places. Tia

IntelligentPutty Thu 11-Feb-16 13:55:21

H & M? - cheap and cheerful
Boden? - not so cheap but lovely quality long lasting clothes
Joules..

just a couple of ideas..

X

mrsmortis Thu 11-Feb-16 14:21:53

How about a nice white shirt? Or another colour if you prefer? I always feel a bit more dressed up when I put on a freshly ironed shirt. You can dress it up with a scarf or some statement jewellery. And a well tailored shirt hides a lot if you aren't comfortable with how you look.

It's also something you'll get a lot of wear out of as it's a real wardrobe staple.

ishouldcocoa Thu 11-Feb-16 14:24:55

I seem to recall that Pure Collection have a few nice white shirts at the moment. All with a bit of stretch in them.

lovefairylights Thu 11-Feb-16 15:38:52

ok - no fashionista here but my gut feeling was the cecilia top could look frumpy if you are not a very tall, skinny willowy model. The kitty one might be nice but it depends on how it sits on your hips as to whether its flattering or bad.
I think online shopping when you haven't bought stuff for a while and are not sure of your body shape and what suits/flatters you can be hit and miss.

I'm probably a similar height and size with similar issues. When this baby pops out and I'm ready to leave the baby for a few hours I'm going to book a personal shopper - probably john lewis is best bet for me locally and treat myself to spending some money on myself to get some smart clothes for daytime/pub meals out etc. The benefit being I can sit there while they trawl the rails bringing me things to try on. Suspect I might try to rope in an honest friend/relative to come along just in case the personal shopper can't be trusted to give an honest opinion!

MidnightHag Thu 11-Feb-16 15:42:40

I Like both of them (but I am a bit older than you). Have you got a friend who could give you an honest opinion on whether they flatter you?

lisbapalea Thu 11-Feb-16 15:52:58

I would look in Mint Velvet for stuff that is casual enough to wear with jeans but looks like you have made a bit of an effort....

John Lewis also a good shout as you can do a quick whizz round a few different brands and if/when that all gets a bit overwhelming just go and have a cup of tea and piece of cake in the caff!

RoganJosh Thu 11-Feb-16 16:15:30

Ooh I love the Cecilia one. In fact I've just ordered it.

SmileAndNod Thu 11-Feb-16 16:25:47

The cecilia came today:
And the offending mum tum and fat arse that I hate.
I've never had much luck with collared shirts as I spend all day fiddling.
Will look at mint velvet thank you

I don't like either of those, sorry. I think they do look quite frumpy and I know that they would make me (norky) look positively matronly.

Love this

Just seen your pic - it looks a zillion times better on you than it did on the website!

RoganJosh Thu 11-Feb-16 16:32:38

I think it looks good on you, but not the drapey thing that it is on the website. I wonder if the sizing is a bit off/they put the model in a massive size to make it look better.
Now I'm worried I've made a mistake ordering it! Sorry, making it all about me. What size did you go for?

DorotheaHomeAlone Thu 11-Feb-16 16:32:54

You look great! Not at all frumpy. Love the shoes.

HanYOLO Thu 11-Feb-16 16:35:31

You look like you have a lovely, in proportion figure and you might have been skinnier before but many people would kill to look like you do now. So know that!

I think going too "classic" might be a bit unnecessarily ageing on you - have you tried warehouse - it's definitely not going to last you a lifetime but they have massively upped their game lately. Maybe also try Whistles?

SmileAndNod Thu 11-Feb-16 16:40:59

I ordered a size S roganjosh
Love that too Remus. Do you think it's more charcoal than brown. If only I had good arms...

HalfStar Thu 11-Feb-16 16:43:10

You look great op, very cool and appropriate but the look is confident. Honestly!
Whistles often has nice tops but try to get sales prices - I think they do 25% off in March.

looki Thu 11-Feb-16 17:06:51

I'm not a fan of the type of tops you linked as those types of tops highlight the stomach area in my opinion. I avoid anything that has elastic at the bottom as my mummy tummy tends to overhang it <most attractive>

Massimo Dutti are shit quality but I recently bought this and like it as it is so wearable www.massimodutti.com/ie/en/women/tailored-corner/top-with-bow-at-back-c1614001p7069058.html?colorId=251&categoryNav=911173

I'd have preferred this one but I wouldn't get to wear it enough <or at all> but it would look great on a night out www.massimodutti.com/ie/en/women/shirts-%26-blouses/whites/double-breasted-dress-shirt-c1384018p6954065.html?colorId=251&categoryNav=911173

looki Thu 11-Feb-16 17:09:15

I meant to add - can you wear heels? I always feel more dressed up in heels as I live in flat shoes.

SmileAndNod Thu 11-Feb-16 17:49:04

Yes can do heels, as long as there's not a really long walk involvedsmile

RoganJosh Thu 11-Feb-16 19:16:03

Ooh I might be ok then, I ordered the M. Thanks. Sorry you're not happy with it on though.

sheffieldsteeler Thu 11-Feb-16 19:23:34

Blimey, at your great legs!

SmileAndNod Thu 11-Feb-16 19:24:17

I'm undecided - am rubbish at clothes these days, I used to be fairly well put together then along came three children..

SmileAndNod Thu 11-Feb-16 19:26:54

Ha!!! Sadly I inherited my dad's legs and not my mum'ssad. Her legs are to die for, even at 68. She wore barely covering her arse stuff late 60s. I only hope she knew how amazing she looked

Puppymouse Thu 11-Feb-16 19:31:42

I had a sneaky suspicion before you posted the pics you'd have a lovely figure. I hope you can get well again and come to terms with your post children figure as it's definitely what I would like to look like! I know that won't help much but you look great thanks

everythingsgoingsouth Thu 11-Feb-16 20:54:54

wow, I think you look great! have a lovely time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now