Clothing for Paris trip?

(8 Posts)
LesAnya Wed 10-Feb-16 20:20:42

This has probably been done to death...
I'm after some inspiration for clothing for a long weekend of touristy bits, wandering, and eating my body weight in French food
I suspect it will still be quite cold! hmm so need things to layer but don't know where to start.

missmartha01 Wed 10-Feb-16 20:56:00

I'm in Paris at the mo. It's wet, dampened and not particularly cold. A bit chilly in the evening though.

It does depend how much walking you want to do. Basically don't wear heels, there are loads women in flat/low heeled ankle boots and trainers. Yes trainers with skirts, trainers with jeans, you name it.

I would suggest some decent lightish weight sweaters, a couple of pairs of trousers (any sort) and shoes you're comfortable in.

If you plan to eat out, a dress or something more suited to the evening.

Coat or jacket of some sort, again wear what you feel comfortable in.

Have a lovely time.

LadyPriggsbottom Wed 10-Feb-16 21:08:31

When I was there a few years ago (I spent a year there), I did the following and think I just about looked normal! grin

I tended to stick to neutral tones as that's what I saw most people wearing and it was what was most available in the shops. I didn't bother with high heels at all unless I had a very fancy evening somewhere - even then I mightn't bother depending on the place. It's not a very heel friendly city I don't think - quite hilly and lots of cobble stones. Plus I took the metro and RER a lot which involved lots of walking up and down stairs. I always kept fairly well covered up (though that's my personal taste anyway) - I very rarely saw a short or clingy dress or a lot of cleavage on show or anything.

It will probably still be cold if you are going soon. It didn't really warm up till about May when I was there and I have been since in March and it was really cold. You would need a decent coat and gloves, scarf etc IMHO.

Trousers / jeans, ankle boots, long sleeved t-shirts or collared shirts with sweaters on top for warmth should be fine for day time. From memory, people didn't really get terribly glammed up for a night out, but obviously it depends what you are going to be doing. If it's just drinks and dinner somewhere fairly low key I would personally stick with ankle boots or flat shoes for evening, but maybe with a skirt or a cool dress rather than jeans / trousers and a cardi for warmth.

Reading back over that I sound like my mother with talk of wrapping up and sensible shoes! Haha oh well, hope that's of some use and that my advice isn't horribly outdated. Have a lovely weekend and enjoy the food! smile

LadyPriggsbottom Wed 10-Feb-16 21:09:47

X post with martha re heels!

Freezingwinter Wed 10-Feb-16 21:11:40

I love Paris! I took a couple of pairs of well fitting skinny jeans, some smart tops (blouses mainly) and cardigans, and a beige coloured mac with a belt which I felt looked smart enough for an evening but could be made more casual in the day. Some ballet pumps, or low heeled ankle boots with socks, and a nice handbag. A couple of dresses with heels and maybe tights for the evenings.

LesAnya Wed 10-Feb-16 22:02:31

Ooh thank you all for your help! General consensus is jeans then, which is a relief. I can do that.
lady I do that too, open my mouth and my mother comes out! smile

Judydreamsofhorses Wed 10-Feb-16 22:20:39

Ooh, I am going at Easter for the first time - part of my Christmas present from DP - so this thread is v useful. I was thinking along the same lines of skinny jeans/blouse/flat boots, and thought a leather biker jacket would be okay in April, with a light scarf. Even though it's ages away when I buy anything I am wondering if I can picture myself wearing it in Paris (while guzzling cheese and swigging wine).

missmartha01 Wed 10-Feb-16 22:23:01

It is true that most years February would be very cold, it isn't this year. Daffodils are out in someplace and yes, I have been wearing a hat because this week because there have been the odd cold gust, otherwise very mild.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now