Affiliate links

(62 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

claptomania Mon 08-Feb-16 19:39:22

I've noticed recently that a lot of S&B links are affiliate links. For the untechy basically that means that someone is earning a small amount of commission on sales made via that link. So either individual posters are doing that, or Mumsnet is converting links that forum users post to monetise the site. Anyone know which it is?

DonkeyOaty Mon 08-Feb-16 19:41:56

I am really sorry to be thick - can you link to a recent thread with an example within, please.

claptomania Mon 08-Feb-16 19:48:47

The second link in this post for tonight for example, shows on my phone as redirecting via 'awin1' (which is affiliate window I think). The poster could've got the full link from anywhere online, so it's not necessarily the posters' benefiting - but either way someone is making a a small commission. Only have patchy knowledge on this topic, but I am interested in finding out the answer!

claptomania Mon 08-Feb-16 19:48:59

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/style_and_beauty/2566745-For-going-out-with-skirts-and-also-with-skinny-jeans-which-of-these-or-rather-cheaper-alternative-to-Sam-Edelman-Petty

KanyesVest Mon 08-Feb-16 19:54:16

I've no idea about thus stuff, but would it be worth posting in site stuff for a tech view on it?

OneofTHOSEWomen Mon 08-Feb-16 19:56:40

I think mumsnet benefit from those.

FrustratedFrugal Mon 08-Feb-16 19:58:38

I'm also interested in this. I often add links to my posts, but I don't do affiliate links. Very interested in hearing though whether my links are somehow used in that way.

DonkeyOaty Mon 08-Feb-16 20:02:51

I still don't understand blush

Let's see what Tech says.

claptomania Mon 08-Feb-16 20:05:02

There's another one in this thread - "I bought this dress" www.mumsnet.com/Talk/style_and_beauty/2566764-Im-suddenly-a-size-14-with-an-overhang-and-have-no-idea-what-to-wear-Please-help
I'll post on the techy thread - thanks Vest - wasn't aware of that.

AveEldon Mon 08-Feb-16 20:05:04

I think it's mumsnet

claptomania Mon 08-Feb-16 20:07:31

If it's MN profiting then I don't think most site users know that. And if it's individual posters profiting (by 'recommending' things) - isn't that rather against the ethos?

OneofTHOSEWomen Mon 08-Feb-16 20:16:22

I'm not even sure individual posters could use affiliate links in thier posts, how would they do it? They/we have no control over the website unless we hack into it
It is probably mumsnet, I suppose it's one of the ways in which they can generate cash without filling the entire page with annoying ads.

YetAnotherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 08-Feb-16 20:31:00

Hello there,
Thanks for raising this, we have flagged it to the relevant person at HQ and you should hear from them shortly.

claptomania Mon 08-Feb-16 20:35:07

one - actually there's no need to do anything other than adding a bit to the end of the destination URL. e.g. www. exampleshop . com / product / mypastedaffiliateID

OneofTHOSEWomen Mon 08-Feb-16 20:48:43

Sorry am thinking about go.redirecting skim links

seefeld Mon 08-Feb-16 20:52:02

How about I post an unaffiliated link to Amazon and you see if it comes up as an affiliate link when you click on it:

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B004UOIAZ4/ref=mp_s_a_1_14?qid=1454961038&sr=8-14&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=sam+edelman+shoes+women If it does it's Mumsnet

LadyPriggsbottom Mon 08-Feb-16 21:31:36

I've just clicked on one of my own links and got directed through 'awin'. The link I had posted was from going straight to the John Lewis site and copying and pasting the web address from there. If I am profiting from my 'recommendation' then it's news to me!

jasmine1979 Mon 08-Feb-16 22:30:06

I'm interested in this as well. I noticed a while ago that there was one poster who frequently posted links to the Next site. Always with affiliate links.

I was wondering (and I'm probably totally wrong here!) if it happens when the poster has previously clicked on an affiliate link to the site the are linking to. For example, I remember reading that if you click on a link from a blog/youtube etc through to a shop, then it doesn't matter if you don't buy that specific item or even if you purchase from them straight away. That shop will then give the blogger a commission on anything you purchase from that site for up to 30 days.

I don't generally have a problem with affiliate links, but only if they are clearly marked and stated that is what they are before you click on them. Sometimes there is a slight sneakiness behind them which I strongly dislike.

jasmine1979 Mon 08-Feb-16 22:31:43

seefeld - That amazon link comes up fine for me. Not an affiliate link. smile

claptomania Mon 08-Feb-16 23:39:43

Let's see what response MNHQ come back with. Interested in their policy.

ProjectGainsborough Tue 09-Feb-16 07:02:34

Interested in this. Surely it would be MN as they host the site?

LadyPriggsbottom Tue 09-Feb-16 07:56:23

Hmmmmm I did click on an ad for John Lewis at the bottom of the S&B page the other day... Has that done it?? How weird. Don't like.

LadyPriggsbottom Tue 09-Feb-16 08:12:51

I wouldn't actually mind if MN were making a profit - they have to make money somehow I guess and I don't want a page full of ads all the time. It's weird to think some random person might be totting up points every time I post a link because I happened to once click on an ad (is that right? I'm not techy - can you tell? grin)

QueenC Tue 09-Feb-16 08:27:20

I link a lot of stuff and I can assure you that I do not benefit. Will be interested in the answer also.

Trills Tue 09-Feb-16 08:30:29

If MN were automatically getting the affiliate revenue from any link to a major retailer that was posted on their site, that would be FINE by me.

I'm unlikely to click on any of their ads, and I use their site for free.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now