bodycon dress - what age and size is ok?

(30 Posts)
NotSittingRight Sat 06-Feb-16 22:49:57

Just that really. Are they only for tall size 8's in their 20's, or can just about anyone wear one?

Gunting Sat 06-Feb-16 22:52:29

No not at all. I think any person in any size needs Spanx with a body con but they look great on everybody.

cardoon Sat 06-Feb-16 23:04:46

I agree with gunting - A line and floaty are more tricky

If you're confident then it doesn't matter - you could have a perfect figure (whatever that is) and if you're uncomfortable and tugging and pulling at it, and obviously unhappy, it's going to look cack.

IHaveBrilloHair Sat 06-Feb-16 23:21:20

I honestly think you need the body for one, age is irrelevant, they show every lump and bump.
That said, if a a lumpy bumpy person wants to wear one and feels good, then fair play.

AlwaysHopeful1 Sun 07-Feb-16 00:07:52

I disagree with Gunting. It suits a certain body type. It's very figure hugging and shaping.

Gunting Sun 07-Feb-16 00:20:51

I dunno, I've seen rebel Wilson in a body con dress before and she's maybe a size 22/24 and I think she looks good

burnishedsilver Sun 07-Feb-16 00:34:56

They don't suit everybody but I don't think you can attach a number to it. It's not an age or a size. It's a shape. You just have to try a few on and see what works.

MadameDePompom Sun 07-Feb-16 00:40:47

Bodycon dresses suit only a very small number of people. You don't need to be tall but you do need to be slim. It's the most unforgiving item of clothing, more unforgiving than being naked in my opinion!

MadameDePompom Sun 07-Feb-16 00:41:42

If you have even the slightest curve to your stomach a bodycon dress will make it look like a beer gut.

something2say Sun 07-Feb-16 10:50:43

Layer them.
Leggings, leg warmers bunched up in boots.
Dress on top.
Jumper on top of dress.
Looks great, jumper (or top in warmer weather) hides sins.
I'm 41 and have a black body con dress.

eloquent Sun 07-Feb-16 11:00:22

They aren't for any particular shape, size or age.
I am a size 16 hourglass and they look great on me. If you feel good in what you're wearing, that's what matters!

Floisme Sun 07-Feb-16 11:05:43

I think floaty and flimsy is far more unforgiving than bodycon.

BuggersMuddle Sun 07-Feb-16 13:15:38

I don't think you have to be tall and slim (but as with most clothes it can't hurt). Don't think age really comes into it for this style per se.

I wear them and I think they suit me. Am mid 30s and fairly stocky hourglass. I like them because I am easily swamped by boxy or draped clothes,

Mine are all a good thick material as this is much more forgiving. I think the cheap ones are often too thin and badly cut. Spanx if you feel you need them.

They won't suit everyone though and I would probably avoid if apple shaped as there are likely to be more flattering styles.

NotSittingRight Sun 07-Feb-16 14:07:23

For all those who wear bodycon dresses, is Spanx your best friend or does anyone go naked as it were?

Gunting Sun 07-Feb-16 14:09:00

NotSitting I always wear spanx with body con dresses but I wear them everyday anyway.

bishboschone Sun 07-Feb-16 16:23:26

I think the key is to be an hourglass shape with a flat tummy . i don't think everyone can wear them .

BuggersMuddle Sun 07-Feb-16 16:58:42

I would usually wear Spanx atm, but don't absolutely have to. Depends on the occasion, whether I've been eating well (bloat) or if I'm likely to start slouching in an ungainly manner after wine

Also at this time of year I find them helpful in making sure I have a smooth line when wearing tights.

Muskateersmummy Sun 07-Feb-16 17:01:07

I wear them, loathe Spanx so I wear them with normal undies. Buy undies a size bigger and then you don't get the lines of th undies

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sun 07-Feb-16 17:05:02

I don't wear spanx with bodycon dresses. I don't wear spanx at all, they make me feel claustrophobic.

I just wear normal fitting undies and well-fitting bodycons.

I have been running and doing abs exercises for the past year, though - when I was more unhappy with being "bumpy", I avoided the style completely, so I'm probably not the fairest person to ask!

WhatamessIgotinto Sun 07-Feb-16 17:12:35

I do think you need a certain body shape for a bodycon. I think if spanx are needed them its probably not the right dress.

MrsRyanGosling15 Sun 07-Feb-16 17:20:03

I do actually think you can be too old/big. I don't feel they look right unless you have a completely flat stomach. But then i really am paranoid about any lumps or bumps. I don't tend to wear spanx as I just don't like the feel of them.

Twinklestein Sun 07-Feb-16 18:06:03

Max size 10 and you need to be very trim.

Twinklestein Sun 07-Feb-16 18:08:12

Iatyq - I don't wear them with Spanx - far too uncomfortable. It's much less hassle to be really thin and not need them.

gunting Sun 07-Feb-16 18:21:52

spanx are fab. they aren't necessarily for making you look slimmer they just smooth everything out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now