Holy grail mascara?

(93 Posts)
PitPatKitKat Thu 04-Feb-16 10:42:12

Searching for a great mascara, one can I just buy again and again.

My favourite ever mascara was Cil a Cil by Bourjois (sadly discontinued many moons ago).

It added length and volume, could be layered in many thin coats without flaking, sumdging or clumping, looked dramatic but lashes were still natural and glossy looking.

So I am looking for something similar. Most things I have tried recently are too much about volume so end up flaky/clumpy, e.g. Benefit They're Real or Chanel Le Volume.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

SnuffleGruntSnorter Thu 04-Feb-16 10:47:42

Max factor masterpiece is my absolute favourite, I'm always tempted by Lancôme, YSL and other fancied brands but nothing beats the Max factor one for me!

PurpleDaisies Thu 04-Feb-16 10:50:23

I like Lancôme hypnose.

missmartha01 Thu 04-Feb-16 10:57:09

SEVENTEEN Falsifeye HD Mascara. I saw it on a Youtube tutorial and it was being praised to high heaven. Then looked online and it gets very high rated by nearly everyone so I thought I'd try it.

It's brilliant and I love it. It's cheap but delivers like a top end mascara, in fact better than most.

vanillabeauty Thu 04-Feb-16 11:38:46

Maybelline illegal definition, big eyes, or the falsies.

mogchothra Thu 04-Feb-16 12:06:55

Max Factor False Lash Effect, Maybelline The Falsies or L'Oreal Telescopic. I also use Clinique Bottom Lash mascara for the bottom lashes (obv) and the teeny wee lashes in the corner of my top lid.

Jackie0 Thu 04-Feb-16 12:10:21

Sisley, it has a little comb rather than a spoolie , its amazing and doesn't transfer.

PitPatKitKat Thu 04-Feb-16 13:35:40

Thank you, I'm going to go on a mascara mission on Monday round the shops.

That's a good range of brands and price points to try out round the shops.

Any more suggestions? I'm planning to make a day of it!

DameXanaduBramble Thu 04-Feb-16 13:47:28

The newish Dior Show, love it. Has a small brush, I wanted lengthening not necessarily volume and I think it's great.

PitPatKitKat Thu 04-Feb-16 13:52:23

Interesting Xanadu as I want to go to the Dior counter anyway to try the lip & cheek glow and the glow powder blusher (as mentioned on another thread this week).

ThenLaterWhenItGotDark Thu 04-Feb-16 14:02:05

Cheap as chips NYR from Superdrug. Beats the ££££s stuff hands down. Mascara is the one thing that IMO is definitely not worth spending loads on.

DameXanaduBramble Thu 04-Feb-16 16:34:18

Foundation, powder & mascara are the three things I splash out on, I like to buy nice make up but will compromise on other stuff - lips, cheeks etc

Ilovetorrentialrain Thu 04-Feb-16 16:40:34

I agree with ThenLater and my recommendation is Rimmel Extra Super Lash. I always come back to this one and have now given up on trying to find a better one. More expensive doesn't necessarily mean better for mascara in my experience.

ChaostheCat Thu 04-Feb-16 16:57:40

I love the YSL Volume mascara but also a fan of Clinique Chubby Lash. In fact I have too many mascaras, am taken in by the hype of longer lusher lashes only to be disappointed many times. Not a fan of Max Faxor or Maybelline. Don't mind spending more on a mascara, and it would be one of my desert island must haves!

naturalbornflames Thu 04-Feb-16 17:08:51

I have bought a lot of mascara in my time but always come back to Lancôme hypnose drama. I love it...... but it's a volume mascara and you said in your OP you find these a bit clumpy and heavy going (totally worth the volume pay off in my opinion) but you might find YSL Fauz Cils or Clinque high impact better. Both of these are in my top 5.

PitPatKitKat Thu 04-Feb-16 17:14:39

Thank you, the list of mascaras to try is growing!

Have tries sooo many in the 5 or 6 years...just can't seem to find one I actually like enough to stick with. I just end up buying something new everytime. This year, I am determined to find a keeper, even if I have to kiss a lot more frogs...

BuzzardBird Thu 04-Feb-16 17:23:52

ThenLater what does NYR stand for please? Been searching on Superdrug site and can't find it. TIA

stumblymonkey Thu 04-Feb-16 17:26:52

The best two I've ever tried are They're Real mascara by Benefit and Perversion mascara by Urban Decay...and I have tried a lot

Alwaysfrank Thu 04-Feb-16 17:31:07

Another vote for Dior Show. I got a free small one with a magazine last year and I really like it. Benefit They're Real smudges on me.

0phelia Thu 04-Feb-16 17:33:17

Max Factor here.

Pumpkinmoon Thu 04-Feb-16 17:39:44

Dior Show. Best I've ever tried hands down.

Vanessamessa Thu 04-Feb-16 17:41:43

Dior overcurl is amazing. It doesn't budge, and creates lovely long lashes. I was previously a Lancôme hypnose devotee. Happy shopping, let us know which one you decide on!

PitPatKitKat Thu 04-Feb-16 17:52:04

Promise I'll do that Vanessa

Talisin Thu 04-Feb-16 17:54:19

The best three I've discovered:
1. Maybelline Full'n'Soft Has to be imported as for some reason Maybelline have not released it in the UK but it's worth the extra hassle. As its name suggests, it gives full and soft lashes. Fabulous.

2. Channel Inimitable Pricey but worth it before I discovered the Maybelline.

3. Soap & Glory Thick & Fast The easiest one to get hold of in a hurry if you suddenly find yourself mascara-less. Rather excellent.

NanTheWiser Thu 04-Feb-16 18:13:34

Maybelline Sensational lives up to its name - defines, curls and layers really well. I'm v v old, and have tried many, many mascaras over 50 years, and this one is one I keep buying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now