What blusher & lipstick colours suit you if you have olive sallow skin & brown hair?

(14 Posts)
Jemster Wed 03-Feb-16 19:55:06

I want a new blusher & lipstick that will make me look healthier & less tired.
I have brown hair with highlights, olive fairly sallow skin with dark under eye areas.
I've read on here quite a bit that blusher instantly makes you look less tired, healthier but I see quite a few ladies at work who don't seem to be wearing any and yet still look nice. I am not one of them!

How do I get the blusher look right without looking like a clown and what colours would work best with my colouring? I have a drawer full of peaches/coral blushers & lipsticks which I've always thought were my colours but they don't seem to be doing much for me.

Any blusher & lippie recommendations would be appreciated thanks.

cressetmama Wed 03-Feb-16 20:00:24

I have olive skin, tan easily, but am fair. A consultant in Fenwicks a million years ago gave me a warm brick red, and I am still using it. I have since shied away from pale tones. Stronger colours, applied with discretion is my mantra.

Jmangel Wed 03-Feb-16 21:46:30

Now I'm no colour expert but as I read your description of yourself I pictured you in raspberry tones.

HeyMacWey Wed 03-Feb-16 21:51:27

I'm an olive with brown hair. I find that a bright pink cream blush really helps give me a healthy glow. It doesn't look bright pink when worn. I use revlon photoready in 'flushed'.
I also wear more pinks on my lips now.
I usd to go for earthier tones but I think they just blended in with my face rather than enhancing my features.

HeyMacWey Wed 03-Feb-16 21:58:02

My every day lipsticks are clarins Jolie riuge brilliant in 15 pink magnolia - it's sheer but lasts and long time.
I also like Laura Mercier babylips and some of their glosses - rose and cerise.

BeaufortBelle Wed 03-Feb-16 22:01:25

I do pinky tones too. Coral or earthy ones wash me out which seems wrong. Didn't realise until I had my colours done.

ofuckit Wed 03-Feb-16 22:23:06

I have similar colouring to you - I am a Winter - and pinky/red blushers make me look instantly healthier & glowy. Peachy colours make me look ill.

I also wear pinky brown toned lipsticks during the day, like dark pinky versions of nude. Reds really suit me too but I only usually wear it when I'm dressed up.

Jemster Wed 03-Feb-16 22:28:13

Thanks for the replies. I had my colours done a few years ago & was told I was an Autumn colouring. I would agree with this for clothes as coral really suits me. I was told to use earthy toned make up but maybe it's not working for me as I'm getting older.
I was told that pink wasn't my colour to wear in clothes as it's a cool colour but I have to say when I tried a pink blusher at the make up counter it made me look ten times better!
I'm a bit nervous of applying it myself though, don't want to overdo it. I've never really got the hang of applying blusher well.

Jemster Wed 03-Feb-16 22:31:49

Ofuckit, could you tell me the names of some of the colours/brands you have in the lipsticks?
I had a look in Boots but it's hard to tell what they're going to be like once on my lips.

BeaufortBelle Wed 03-Feb-16 22:42:10

Why don't you book a makeup counter makeover?

FLAMBOLA Wed 03-Feb-16 22:49:40

I use a Sleek blusher called Flushed which looks scary red in the pan but used with a light hand goes on lovely, it gives me a really natural flush to my cheeks. I have similar colouring to you, I think.

ofuckit Thu 04-Feb-16 13:45:49

OP my favourite at the moment is a set I got for Christmas with some glosses and lipsticks in, they're all pinky nude colours and are the nicest lipsticks I've used for a long time link

For night time reds my favourite at the moment is Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet in 'Personne de Rouge' (think that's what it's called!).

The blushers I use are the Bourjois little round pots - I have a few different ones as I love them, but I also bought this recently and the colour is lovely - supposedly it is the perfect natural colour for everyone...

HeyMacWey Thu 04-Feb-16 14:05:03

This is my everyday make up routine.

www.lisaeldridge.com/video/22118/minimal-product-make-up-pink-flush/tag/22123/#.VrNaBUmnzqA

I use a lot of Lisa's videos for inspiration as I've got the same colouring so it's easy to find the right products.

misspym Thu 04-Feb-16 15:20:19

You sound similar colouring to me OP and I recently got the No.7 High Shine Lip Gloss in Raspberry Kiss and I think it is really flattering.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now