Can this dress be shortened or should I give up and send back?

(18 Posts)
Howaboutthisone Wed 03-Feb-16 15:45:36

I've tried this on and LOVE it! Apart from the fact that it comes to a third of the way down my calves and looks far better finishing on my knees. I love the neckline which is a first fore as I can't usually find things that are quite right. It's in one piece of material so no apparent seam between top and bottom parts. It's a mock wrap over so the very front of the dress has one part on top of the other iyswim. You can see this just about if you zoom in on the photo. I'm just shy of 5ft4 and they don't do a petite version.

WellTidy Wed 03-Feb-16 15:53:52

Is it just the length that you need to have adjusted? if so, then yes it can definitely be shortened. I am 5 foot 1, and I regularly get dresses similar to that shortened by my local dry cleaner. The fit on Phase Eight knee length stretchy dresses is good for me, but they're always 4 inches or so too long.

Howaboutthisone Wed 03-Feb-16 17:10:27

Just the length yes- fits great elsewhere. Have you had any of the wrap style ones shortened?

Howaboutthisone Wed 03-Feb-16 18:58:50

I should have said that the wrap over part is on the bottom on the dress too.

hugoagogo Wed 03-Feb-16 19:39:35

I don't get why it would be a problemconfused

hugoagogo Wed 03-Feb-16 19:41:41

Oh hang is the top layer cut at an angle?

Howaboutthisone Wed 03-Feb-16 19:42:49

Yes- this! It comes across the front at an angle. It's quite difficult to see on the photo sorry!

hugoagogo Wed 03-Feb-16 19:47:35

Well I expect it can be done, but really I would try and find something else that fits you better.

elephantoverthehill Wed 03-Feb-16 19:54:45

This might sound rude but it is not intended as I am quite short myself. If the dress is long in length is the waist too long also? That is to say would the dress become unbalanced if you were to shorten it? Get someone to pin up the hem and then look at it in a full length mirror. The pins will not cause any harm to the dress.

Howaboutthisone Wed 03-Feb-16 20:27:02

That's the thing Elephant. I can see what you mean but it's great everywhere apart from the length and when I've folded it up to knee length it looks great.
Maybe I should take it to someone who does these things and ask them. I haven't really had anything altered before though so not sure where to start!

Howaboutthisone Wed 03-Feb-16 20:28:54

I take your point Hugo. I just don't usually find things that fit nicely across the bust with a flattering neckline, with nicely short sleeves and flattering elsewhere. Dresses have made me feel really conscious of my tummy after having kids but I just feel good in this one- that doesn't happen often!

7to25 Wed 03-Feb-16 20:32:39

It can still be shortened if it is as described. Maybe try an alteration hand that does bridal etc instead of a dry cleaners,

elephantoverthehill Wed 03-Feb-16 21:46:32

Howabout Ok this is what you do..............find a friend, DH, DS or DD. Stand on a table, or stool. Nominated person puts pins in at specified length. Either you turn around or the nominated person works around you. Either way you turn around slowly when the pinning is finished with nominated person keeping eye level at the hem and adjusting pins as necessary. If required part 2 -tacking, then part- 3 ironing and finally part - 4 hemming could follow grin

amarmai Thu 04-Feb-16 01:18:14

stand i riser higher on a stair-safer. Anything can be shortened IMO and having done 100s for my short dd . Pin up evenly all around and taper off the new hem at the cross over if it is not a straight line.

Howaboutthisone Thu 04-Feb-16 07:04:41

Thanks all! This makes me hopeful and happy!

SunnyL Thu 04-Feb-16 07:19:08

What is the fabric?

SesameSparkle Thu 04-Feb-16 08:40:57

If the fabric is stretchy, I don't recommend shortening it yourself if you're not used to alterations. Take it to a tailor or dry cleaning shop and ask for a quote, it should be very straightforward and you can even leave the tags on until you've decided whether you want to go for it.

Howaboutthisone Thu 04-Feb-16 09:59:12

It is a stretchy material. Yes- a visit to an alteration place sounds like a good plan. Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now