If you have blonde highlights, how often do you get them retouched?

(15 Posts)
minipie Wed 03-Feb-16 14:50:32

I've got highlights on my mid brown "dark blonde" hair, but they are so subtle that they hardly make any difference. The upside is that I don't get very obvious regrowth and can go for ages between appointments but the downside is that I don't look blonde like I want to! So a bit pointless really.

I'm thinking of asking to go much blonder next time. But I'm also worried about the upkeep. I know salons will advise retouching every 6 weeks (or even more often) but is that really necessary?

If you have highlights that are a lot lighter than your natural colour, how long can you go between appointments? When do you start to get a very obvious "roots line"?

Also, any tips on what to ask for - I know 3 colours and fine highlights usually looks best on my hair but anything else?

thanks!

sweetheart Wed 03-Feb-16 15:00:21

I have mine done every 7-8 weeks. I can sometimes ekk it out longer but it usually ends up looking crap, especially if you wear your hair up.

Lucked Wed 03-Feb-16 15:12:50

Marking place as I leave it too long, I wait till I think it needs done and then faff around for another month before booking anything. I got it done at the beginning of Jan and it's a New Years resolution to keep up with it.

Also can I ask if people have a schedule for full head, T- bar and half head.

Ready123 Wed 03-Feb-16 16:11:19

I have a full head about once a year and half head highlights every 12 weeks. Most of my hairdressers in the past have advised that sort of timescale, and I think with good fine highlights the regrowth is not too obvious anyway. My hair is below my shoulders but perhaps shorter hair needs more regular highlights?

You can also have cheaper and quicker t-zone highlights in between visits to freshen up the look.

minipie Wed 03-Feb-16 18:13:31

Thanks everyone. 12 weeks sounds do able. I might manage 10 weeks. Anything more often than that is unlikely to happen, I know I'll have great intentions and then not find the time.

How long do t zone highlights take please?

MNetter15 Wed 03-Feb-16 18:20:47

Once every 3 months but that's really not enough. For the last 3 weeks or so, I should be wearing a hat grin

If I had the time and money, I'd do it every 8-10 weeks.

They are really fab though. I get 3 shades (not sure of the correct names) but they're light/bright blonde, toffee and dark blonde.

FreeButtonBee Wed 03-Feb-16 20:18:43

You could go for balayage ie roots darker than ends with the colours nicely graduated from roots to tips. Slightly more modern and relaxed and obvs very forgiving of longer periods between colour visits. But you need a VERY good hairdresser or it will look crap!

rookiemere Wed 03-Feb-16 20:21:03

I have a half head and get it done every 3 months. I don't think it looks too bad towards the end.

lurkingabit Wed 03-Feb-16 22:51:12

I get mine done as infrequently as possible every 3 months. I hate the job, I find it immensely tedious and hate the having to sit for ages. However, I am also vain so that means I just have to suck it up and do it. My natural colour is fair so regrowth isn't bad, like yours. Lately there are more bitching grey hairs which I do not like so now I do a half head every 3 months and a full head every 6. (Shock horror I used to do it about every 4-5 months) I couldn't face every 6 weeks

Kennington Thu 04-Feb-16 09:47:39

Every 10 to 12 weeks but I get them lighter at the ends and do my roots in between a couple of times.
I like the grown out- slightly look. Plus it just takes too long and is sooooo boring!

Birdsgottafly Thu 04-Feb-16 09:54:03

I used to get mine done every 6-8 weeks, or I felt scruffy.

My hair growth has slowed downed, post menopause, so now it's 8+ weeks.

I can see that they need doing at the moment, but will leave them for another couple of weeks, because I'm not going out anywhere.

ThatIsSoFetch Thu 04-Feb-16 10:12:35

I have half head highlights every 8-10 weeks & full head highlights once a year.
My natural hair colour is a dark blonde like yours and I have an ash blonde put in (so quite obvious!)
The 9th/10th week of regrowth is pretty bad, my hair feels flat & gets greasy easily whereas when its freshly bleached it feels drier and more voluminous!

bringingmebacktolife Thu 04-Feb-16 11:29:04

I've got mouses, dark blonde/ light brown hair, naturally.

I have just one colour as my highlights: Wella 12.39 (which is a high-lift tint - no bleach) and I have quite chunky highlights because my hair is fine, the highlights are subtle and I want a bit of movement and drama, rather than a homogenised, all-over effect.

I go to the hairdressers every seven weeks for a trim and highlights - we do full-head then t-section then half-head then t-section.

Then start again - full-head.. - and so on.

Welshcake77 Thu 04-Feb-16 13:02:05

I have mousy brown hair and have two blonde colours in fine highlights every 10-12 weeks as suggested by my hairdresser. I would say it works out as full head once a year and the rest half head.
the colours are quite a lot lighter than my natural colour and in the last week or so I use a blonde dry shampoo on the roots between washes but I prefer going this much lighter as it gives an overall impression of blonde hair rather than blonde highlights on light brown hair.

minipie Thu 04-Feb-16 22:03:43

Thanks all

Blonde dry shampoo for the last week or two is an idea welsh, would also help with volume I guess?

Kennington how do you do your own roots? or do you mean you go to the salon for a t zone?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now