My hair straighteners have broken! What to buy now?

(12 Posts)
chicaguapa Wed 03-Feb-16 14:05:09

Back in the day <old gimmer> GHDs were the straighteners to have. I had tried other makes but ended up buying GHDs and did think they were better.

Now I'm in the market for a new pair. I asked my hairdresser if GHDs were still the best as I had remembered rumblings that they weren't. He said that there are other makes which are as good as, if not better than, GHDs and that variable heat ones would be good. But unhelpfully hasn't said which ones to get yet.

I need to order some asap so wondered what the MN collective thought please.

rainbowstardrops Wed 03-Feb-16 14:07:26

I've just bought Cloud 9's. I really wanted GHDs but I also heard that the newer versions aren't as good as they used to be and one of the people who founded GHDs started up the Cloud 9 brand.
So far, I think they're great.

nannyj Wed 03-Feb-16 16:00:56

I'm about to buy new straighteners and also had ghds back in the day. I'm going to buy either corialas (sp?) or cloud 9. I'm going to my hairdresser tomorrow and ask her what she thinks. Although she has ghds so who knows!

TweedAddict Wed 03-Feb-16 16:25:17

I brought a pair of GHDs at Christmas, utter rubbish the things are so weak that when you are using them the plates slip and don't aline which resulted in a few burns, the hinge just isn't strong enough. I went back to my 10yr old babliss ones.

chicaguapa Wed 03-Feb-16 17:22:28

Thanks. My initial joy at not needing to pay out for GHDs has dissipated now I've seen the price of the Cloud 9 ones. grin But I know it's a false economy to pay for cheaper ones and then still have to buy the more expensive ones in the end anyway.

Penguinbeaver Wed 03-Feb-16 17:28:36

I have an Aria one. It's brilliant and leaves my hair silky straight for days.

HaveIGotAClue Wed 03-Feb-16 17:30:07

Straigheners are for weirdos.
What you need are heated rollers.

grin

Whathaveilost Wed 03-Feb-16 17:34:35

If your Ghds were good why not get the repaired. I paid 25 quid for then to be fixed and they are as good as new

chicaguapa Wed 03-Feb-16 17:51:22

That's a good idea what. I didn't even think of that. I've had them a number of years so they're a good pair, rather than the rubbish ones they do now. Thanks!

MadisonMontgomery Wed 03-Feb-16 19:02:35

Cloud 9's. New GHD's are utter rubbish.

HaveYouSeenHerLately Wed 03-Feb-16 20:09:47

Remingtons! Check out the Amazon reviews. I have the S3500s, swore by GHDs for years.

Lozislovely Wed 03-Feb-16 20:29:57

Another vote for Cloud 9. I have the 'touch' version. Can't believe the difference compared to my £30 Remingtons and love the fact that with the cloud 9 creating a curl is a piece of piss - compared to trying with a pair of GHDs I once had.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now