Wail - why doesn't hair dye last on my hair?

(4 Posts)
BlueBottall Wed 03-Feb-16 12:19:18

So, I've got naturally mousey/dark blonde/light brown wavy hair. I used to be blonder when younger (I'm 50 now, and post menopause, if that's relevant), and so usually dye my hair to a similar shade from my youth. I use a golden blonde colour - Nice and Easy, permanent colour. Suits me and doesn't fade, I just need to redo to cover my roots.

However, I have hankered after going red. Not bright copper red, just ginger/strawberry blonde. I've tried twice now. Used two boxes of dye both times, but each time, the dye has faded even from the first wash, and by about a month later, my hair doesn't look at all red/ginger, just a murky light brown.

I can't afford to do a salon job, so any suggestions as to why this is happening and what I can do to get lasting red hair as I do when I go blonder?

Thanks in advance!

dementedpixie Wed 03-Feb-16 12:27:28

What colours are you using? Reds do fade quickly. Do you use shampoo/ conditioner for coloured hair?

Reds are difficult, I've been fake red for over a year now and it still needs redone every 4-6 weeks to remain red. I use salon colours which helps - wella colourtouch and koleston in my case. You also need sulphate free shampoo and at least a weekly colour depositing conditioner

BlueBottall Wed 03-Feb-16 12:33:25

Hi
I've just used the Nice and Easy dye as the blonde has always worked so well. It comes with a conditioner to prolong the colour, which I use once a week as advised. I use a colour shampoo otherwise, and only wash my hair twice a week blush.

I didn't know reds fade quickly. Why is that?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now