Had makeover - help me decide which of these lovely products to buy (sadly I can't have them all!)

(14 Posts)
Jemster Sun 31-Jan-16 10:50:39

Had a fab makeover at Bobbi Brown counter yesterday. I was really pleased with the result, however she must have used over 10 products on me including the skin care, various creams & potions.

I treated myself to the tinted moisturiser but couldn't decide what else to buy. I want to treat myself to two products so need to choose one more.

What would you choose from the following shortlist or any other recommendations?

Bronzing Powder
Cream eyeshadow (bone? Not sure if this is a bit pale..?)
Shimmery blusher brick pink (maybe a bit glittery?)
Concealer & powder duo

Jemimapuddleduk Sun 31-Jan-16 10:55:39

Definitely blusher! A good blusher can make you look more awake, younger and healthier. If I only had 3 make up pieces it would be foundation, blush and mascara!

miniswin Sun 31-Jan-16 10:57:05

The concealer/powder duo is TERRIBLE when you actually come to using it at home - no idea how they make it look even half decent in the shop - AVOID!

Jemster Sun 31-Jan-16 10:59:08

The other one is the brightening finishing powder, couldn't really see the effect of that. Anyone got this? It's about £40!!

Dungandbother Sun 31-Jan-16 11:02:07

Yep
Foundation (their liquid ones are great, not a fan of tinted moisturiser myself as prefer a proper moisturiser)
Mascara
Blusher

Again, not a fan of the glittery bricks. Proper blusher. Are you blonde or brunette (pink blush or brown bronze) which would have me recommending you try lots of counters and ask for their advice as to which and get just that one product applied before you choose.

I actually hate bronzer. No one gets brown cheeks when they run or get jiggy! You get pink cheeks. Find something close to natural.

Sorry to be so annoyingly despondent to your excitement.

Jemster Sun 31-Jan-16 19:05:10

Miniswin I agree actually about the concealer. She put so many things under my eyes & it looked ok holding the mirror from a distance but when I looked closer later it looked caked on!

I am particularly considering getting the bone eyeshadow as my eyelids are quite discoloured and she said this would cover that up whilst looking subtle.
Would anyone recommend this?

mrslebon Sun 31-Jan-16 22:15:33

I've got the bone eyeshadow and the one called Navajo, both quite similar. I would say I use the bone pretty much every day. But then again, I'm not big on eyeshadow - I just like a neutral look. The other day, I popped into Liberty to the BB counter and bought the new BB Eye Opening mascara. I'm sure there are people on here who hate it, but I love it! It makes it look like I'm wearing false eyelashes with just one coat. The packaging and the brush are quite chunky, which won't suit everyone.

I use BB blusher a lot. I have most of the pot rouge ones and use them more in the summer than I do in the winter as they look better with a bit of a tan. The powder blush I use most is Nectar which is like a coral with a hint of shimmer. The shimmer bricks are too glittery for me so I've never bought one of those.

I use the bronzer every day too. I'm not sure what shade I have but it's quite subtle and buildable if I want more.

I bought the corrector the other day too. I pat it on with my finger and then apply NARS radiant creamy concealer over the top. Works for me! I think you are right about the concealer. I think it looks pretty caked after they've applied it with a brush and can settle into fine lines. If you're after concealer, try the NARS one or the Collection Lasting Perfection one which is cheap as chips but really good.

mrslebon Mon 01-Feb-16 11:32:07

Argh, I lie! It's Ivory I use, not Bone. Bone was a bit 'cool' for me whereas Ivory is just really neutral.

sohelpmegoad Mon 01-Feb-16 19:15:58

my mother sent me the brightening finishing powder, she uses expensive high end make up every day and I dont (she is determined to change the shame of this!)
However every time I used this people told me how great I looked, as I dont use much make up, it took about 6 months to make the connection between the brightening finishing powder and the compliments.
Ive now finished my first compact and to my DMs delight, bought another one, she will convert me eventually.

Jemster Mon 01-Feb-16 19:35:02

Sohelpme, how do you use it? Over top of foundation, instead of or aswell as powder? Does it have a lot of pink colour?
I really need something to make me look healthier but am not used to wearing alot of make up.

sohelpmegoad Mon 01-Feb-16 20:14:39

My DM puts it all over, and so does my DD when she nicks it, but in keeping with my more minimalist use , I tend to use it over my eyelids and as a highlighter above my blusher.
On v special occasions (xmas etc) I put some down my nose and round my chin.
BTW that all sounds ridiculous but somehow it actually looks great.

sohelpmegoad Mon 01-Feb-16 20:17:39

Sorry just realised I didnt answer your other questions, i use it over foundation (tinted moisturiser), and its not pink at all.
I have never used powder, wouldnt know what to do with it

Any thing else please ask. im so very rarely an expert when it comes to make up, Im quite liking it!!

YellowTulips Mon 01-Feb-16 20:18:05

I've got quite a BB haul (blush) and also CT.

What l love from BB:

- the bronzer as it's not shimmery
- the brightning powder (I also use it as eyeshadow)
- her nude eye palate
- the serum foundation
- her brushes
- creme blush
- powder blush (but I think Nars does better colours if I'm honest)
- BB mascara (I use that or Estée Lauder double ware)

I'm less keen on her skincare tbh, at the end of the day it's a cosmetics house and I think other brands do skincare much better for less (Liz Earle is a good example).

- I'm not a huge fan of her lipsticks tbh (much prefer my CT ones and lipstick queen)
- people rave about the gel eyeliners but I just can't get to grips with them - the colours are great though
- I had a shimmer brick (rose tones) and hardly used it - then I dropped and smashed it...but never replaced
- can't comment on BB creme eye shadows as I don't have any.
- I find the concealer too thick and use either clarins (which is great and lasts for ages) or CT

knitknack Mon 01-Feb-16 20:42:37

You can find(much) cheaper dupes for them all if you look carefully! The new maybelline paint pots things are exactly the same as the cream eye shadows, and revlon concealers are excellent.... I'd spend the money on the base (as you have done) and the bronzer and then find dupes for the rest. I agree with the poster above that a good blusher is the single biggest difference you can make in terms of looking younger/fresher.... but you don't need to spend a lot to get that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now