Late 40's - where do you shop?

(21 Posts)
ifonly4 Thu 28-Jan-16 16:06:51

Looking for inspiration really. I tend to shop in M&S and Next as I'm always rushing around in town and they're close to bus shop! Sometimes I might buy a jumper from Gap or FatFace.

Pupsiecola Thu 28-Jan-16 17:51:21

I'm 46. I like browsing through the concessions in my local House of Fraser and John Lewis. I find department store shopping quite efficient (I don't really enjoy shopping, and an hour or so is enough for me) in terms of finding stuff and also discovering new brands I've not tried before. I quite like Jigsaw, Linea and Hobbs. Gap okay too, especially for jeans. I've gone right off FatFace and White Stuff.

yomellamoHelly Thu 28-Jan-16 17:57:06

Mid - 40s. Tend to peruse what's in John Lewis clothes dept. Quite a few things I like in the Pure catalogue at the moment. Also like Baukjen. Tend to gravitate to what suits me (imo) rather than fashion. Have a look at House of Fraser and Debenhams from time to time too.

EachandEveryone Thu 28-Jan-16 19:15:48

Whistles, Oliver Bonas, bits from H and M and Banana Replublic when I ever go to the States. I buy Levis from there as well. I hate getting old it's so difficult. I used to live fashion as well. I think it's the thickening of the waist that gets me. I'm certainly not a size 12 anymore.

RickOShay Thu 28-Jan-16 19:24:39

I am nearly 48. I shop in Topshop, tkmaxx, hennes and Zara, sometimes gap.

Greengardenpixie Thu 28-Jan-16 19:32:22

I am 48 and browse/shop in whistles - I have a few dresses, Toast, Hush, Next, Boden occasionally, Joules a bit of Mint velvet.

FedupNagging Thu 28-Jan-16 19:33:48

Lots of different places - depends on what I need, what suits me and how much money I have to spend!

Usually Boden petite for trousers as they are a good fit. Also shop in Banana Republic, J Crew, Uniqlo, Jigsaw, occasionally Cos, recent purchases from Woolovers and Comptoir de Cottoniers (sale). I also like a good rummage (when in the right frame of mind) in TK Maxx and have picked up a few bargains - J Brand, Helmut Lang

I definitely found my early 40's a difficult time fashion wise - struggled with 'younger' looking clothes and then clothes that I felt made me look 'old' - I feel a lot more settled/happier now in most of what I wear and tend to only buy if I love it and if it suits me rather than 'super fashionable'. I'm 49 btw.

Behooven Thu 28-Jan-16 19:38:57

Ebay for brands I can't afford.

secretsignal Thu 28-Jan-16 20:08:42

Mint Velvet and Joules when I've got some cash. H&M most of the time when I haven't smile

YaySirNaySir Thu 28-Jan-16 20:16:26

Mainly:
Warehouse
Hobbs
H and M
Superdry
Joules
Bershka

Avoid Topshop (too many mistakes) and New look (apart from super skinny jeans) as DD frequents.
Went off M and S and Next ages ago.

MrsJayy Thu 28-Jan-16 20:19:39

Debenhams primark and Dorothy Perkins for petite trousers H n M and sainsburys for jumpers and Cardigan's

I mostly wear a kind of 'uniform' now, at 45.

Black skinnies from M&S Autograph.
Biker jackets from Oasis and Mint Velvet (although I covet a Whistles one)
T-shirts mostly from Whistles, occasionally Mint Velvet, or the occasional (and increasingly rare) decent cotton one from M&S.
Vests from H&M
Black jumpers - mostly from M&S, although I got a couple in Mango recently (suspect they'll fall apart fairly quickly though).
Ankle boots - Clarks, Aldo, Whistles
Leather Converse

Work stuff tends to be largely pencil or tube skirts (Whistles / M&S) or full skirts (although nice ones harder to find these days) with jackets mostly from Hobbs or plain black ones from pretty much anywhere.

MrsJayy Thu 28-Jan-16 20:25:20

Oh I have a uniform of black trousers and a v neck jumper or a tee-shirt cardi combo height of fashion me grin

Floisme Thu 28-Jan-16 20:26:54

Are late 50s allowed? Favourites at the moment:

H&M (Not the catwalk knock offs but their basics are modern but very wearable)
TK Maxx (Not as good as it used to be but I still love the anticipation)
Whistles (Begrudgingly as I think the prices are outrageous but it just seems to hang nicely)
Uniqlo (knitwear)

Also Baukjen, Pure Collection, Me&Em, Hush, Boden, People Tree.

And just getting into Cos.

Anotherusernamechange Thu 28-Jan-16 20:37:53

H & m, new look, Joules, Boohoo and Asos, shoes from Clarks because I can't do hurt feet anymore.

TSSDNCOP Thu 28-Jan-16 20:59:36

French connection, Whistles, Ted Baker, All Saints, Warehouse and White Company. Gap for sports bits and jumpers/t-shirts, shorts.

BikeRunSki Thu 28-Jan-16 21:01:42

Jigsaw
Fat Face
Howies (online)
Toast
Seasalt
Primark for stretchy tees

SevenOfNineTrue Thu 28-Jan-16 21:10:01

I love Kaliko who I buy through John Lewis.

SanityClause Thu 28-Jan-16 21:18:17

I'm 47.

I tend to buy most clothes online.

Lately, I have bought things from Jules B, Free People, Urban Outfitters and Anthropologie.

I usually buy work dresses from John Lewis, or Zalando.

annielostit Thu 28-Jan-16 21:20:19

Skinny jeans / jeggings from NYDJ at John Lewis fit my 48 + body better. Last for years.
Most dept store have big selection. I like coast for occasionnal wear.

whataboutbob Thu 28-Jan-16 21:35:11

I'm 49. Uniqlo for skinny jeans, Ebay for vintage knitwear (made in Scotland) , charity shops for vintage finds (getting scarcer) Boden for tops and occasional summer dress but I am now v discriminating and send stuff back if it's not right for me.
Once a year I buy something (dress/ pair of work trousers) at Agnes B, in the sales if poss. Comptoir des cotonniers is good too. Have just about given up on M&S, and have given up on H&M because of poor quality. I also find exercise is important especially to trim down the waist. I don't do gyms but try to cycle places instead of taking public transport.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now