What are you favourite dress brands and why?

(14 Posts)
bigbuttons Thu 28-Jan-16 07:08:34

I would like to try and get into wearing some dresses rather than simply pulling on the skinnies everyday but am rather nervous because I don't know where to start looking.
I am 5'5", very straight up and down and flat chested so I think nothing with wraps and low cut shenanigans for me!
It is worth buying something a little more expensive?
I am trying to edge myself towards the less stuff better quality route and have recently got rid of a load of stuff.
I would like to looked well turned out if possible!
Anyway was wondering if you had favourite brands if so why?

elfofftheshelf Thu 28-Jan-16 10:27:38

For smart - DVF. Pricey, but you can get good deals in the sales or it you travel to US. Look further than her traditional wrap dresses and you will find lovely shirt dress styles etc. For more every day, Anthropologie has some great dresses. They have a mix of designers, they fit well and the ones I have are well made. You also don't see them everywhere so aren't likely to bump into your twin :-)

bigbuttons Thu 28-Jan-16 10:32:56

Thanks, will check those out smile

MamaAwayOnBusiness Thu 28-Jan-16 11:53:12

I love Sessun for dresses, they really know how to cut them and I always feel really feminine and confident wearing them. They can be a bit on the short side so I now choose them only for autumn/winter dresses when I can wear tights with them... They are pricey but they are great quality, and I hunt mine in sales and eBay. Sizing is small too, I normally wear an S but with their stuff I always size up.

lavendersun Thu 28-Jan-16 12:03:06

I like Jigsaw, for everything, not just dresses. They are slightly different from the run of the mill stuff, generally nice quality and tend to be well made.

I don't have many clothes, but things I really like and wear them to death.

I used to wear a lot of Jigsaw in my 20s and then stopped, now 47 and like it more and more again.

OnePlanOnHouzz Thu 28-Jan-16 12:09:58

I second DVF ! smile
Also phase eight can have some classy looks, on a not too expensive budget ! Happy shopping !

MadamCroquette Thu 28-Jan-16 12:22:03

Toast, once in a while they have a print I love. Similarly Jigsaw and Hobbs.

My favourite, go-to dress is by Damsel in a Dress, though I don't like all of theirs. It's a kind of boucle shift dress and a bit Chanel-looking. It has lasted amazingly, still looks new despite being worn loads for a good 5 years.

Topshop is great for interesting dresses, especially the Unique and special designer lines.

If you like your prints and florals, Emily and Fin are great for summer and wedding-guest dresses.

TPel Thu 28-Jan-16 12:25:32

I love Baukjen for dresses.

Cantseetheforest Thu 28-Jan-16 12:58:21

I second Damsel in a Dress. I have a gorgeous royal blue jersey dress from a charity shop that looks brand new.

bigbuttons Thu 28-Jan-16 14:50:10

Thank you so much!
I am never sure of the size to get as even though i am super flat chestedI am much broader in the shoulders than I look. In some shops I can get away with a small, but never an 8. I am a 6-8 for bottoms though.
Do brands like Damsel in distress, phase 8, hobbs, jigsaw come up true to size? Well whatever true to size means nowadays.
Thanks mama I will check those outing a medium then smile

lavendersun Thu 28-Jan-16 16:12:43

Jigsaw sizes are fairly 'real', as in not massive vanity sizing imo.

I used to like Hobbs but everything I try on there makes me look middle aged these days. I find their tops/sweaters etc short in the body.

I bought this for work recently, very flattering indeed, but there isn't a lot I like at Whistles often.

www.whistles.com/women/clothing/dresses/kerry-bandage-jersey-dress-21892.html?dwvar_kerry-bandage-jersey-dress-21892_color=Black#q=kerry&tcgid=Womenswear&start=1

Dreamqueen Thu 28-Jan-16 18:27:56

I second Damsel in a Dress. The sizing is good, imo true to size. I've had a black 3/4 sleeve dress from them for about 5 years. It's my go to dress & cost per wear it's been fantastic.

Allgunsblazing Thu 28-Jan-16 18:30:48

Cos
Me&Em
Boden
HTH smile

Cantseetheforest Thu 28-Jan-16 20:12:13

My dress is jersey, so I really can't say for sure how accurate the sizes are! I don't think it looks too tight , but my dh would hardly say if it was....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now