If you home wax ( Hollywood/ Brazilian) what wax do you use?

(8 Posts)
lavenderhoney Wed 27-Jan-16 09:17:21

I've been having salon waxes for Hollywood/ Brazilian for years but have decided to save some money by DIYsmile I wondered if anyone home waxed and had any top tips for which wax? There is a hard wax that doesn't need strips, soft wax with strips, sugar wax - I had no idea there were so many choices! I'm going to buy a heater as well, for it.

Any help appreciatedsmile

Toomanyhyphons Wed 27-Jan-16 13:56:24

This probably isn't what you were looking to hear but I'd say if it's a "full on" wax like a Hollywood or Brazilian I would stick to letting a trained beauty therapist do it for you. Waxing is a really dangerous thing to do if you haven't been properly trained. Plus because of the angle you won't be able to pull your skin properly in every area to get the tension right. You could give yourself terrible burns, ripped skin, infections, the list of problems is endless! If you were just doing a standard bikini maybe try a hair removal cream made specifically for that area? I wouldn't be using it for full hair removal though. Maybe try doing your own nails or something else to save money instead? I'm honestly panicking thinking of anyone attempting to wax themselves! I'm not a beauty therapist but work in the industry and know enough about waxing to say you shouldn't be attempting this yourself!

lavenderhoney Wed 27-Jan-16 14:44:42

I already do everything else myself except my hair on my head and my Hollywood/ Brazilian! Needs must.

Thank for replying though- I'll keep researching it.

ItJustCameOffInMyHands Wed 27-Jan-16 15:28:57

I do my own quite often, the full Hollywood. Waxers I've used have always said they wax themselves, it's really not that hard! I use Nads "Brazilian and Bikini" hot wax from Boots, it's about £10 and lasts two goes. I'd say just give yourself time and do it in small patches. You can always go back for a tidy up later. Good luck!

Nyancat Wed 27-Jan-16 20:34:04

If I was doing it myself I'd go for a hard wax that doesn't need strips as I find you get a bit more time to take it off once you have put it on as it needs to cool and harden slightly to remove it easily. It's less reliant on the right angle to remove it unlike strip wax and you can do small areas at a time. Just my personal preference.

ooosaidooo Wed 27-Jan-16 20:54:14

I used to wax at home and do a Brazilian, I bought a wax heater, wax and cotton strips from a salon supplies shop. Being able to keep the wax a constant perfect temperature made a big difference (previously I'd been using microwaveable wax).

Now I just epilate because I used to get in such a mess with the wax.

lavenderhoney Wed 27-Jan-16 21:16:15

Right, Ive found a hard wax that doesn't need strips, bought all the pre was after wax oils and some tea tree oil, and a heater- and having been waxed for years I've a pretty good idea how to do it.

It will be finesmile ( gulps)

AyeAmarok Wed 27-Jan-16 21:20:47

I also use the Nads hot wax. No strips, you just heat it in the microwave. Much less painful than strip wax.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now