Wedding Nail Varnish

(23 Posts)
KateSpadeAddict Sun 17-Jan-16 20:36:54

Hi,

I know this may seem like a very little detail to many of you but I love having my nails looking nice and as I am getting married soon I am looking for recommendations for a classy yet stylish look for my nails. I always have them painted and will be doing them myself. I know some photographers do the shot with the rings etc so don’t want to look back with regret! Part of me wants to do a really classic red but i’m wondering of that is a bit garish?

Thanks in advance and apologies for agonising over such a small detail! grin

VikingVolva Sun 17-Jan-16 20:46:57

I think classic red is lovely.

But if you want less bright, there are loads of others to choose from. But I was wondering, does your engagement ring have a coloured stone, and what colours will any bridesmaids be wearing?

KateSpadeAddict Sun 17-Jan-16 20:48:18

Thanks, just not sure if it is a little bright! My engagement ring is white gold and diamond. Bridesmaids are a heather purple smile

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sun 17-Jan-16 20:55:54

Personally for a wedding especially my own. I wouldn't use red, but that's just me.
I think I'd use either a subtle light pink or french manicure. Or even mint green would be nice. Or gold glitter. I'd say silver glitter as an option but it might clash with your gold ring. If that bothers you.
I don't know why but I think pastel colors are better for a wedding than bold colors. Or I know its not everyones thing but you could do some flower nail art. Which would be lovely.

burnishedsilver Sun 17-Jan-16 21:03:18

I think red would look lovely, especially for a winter wedding.

KateSpadeAddict Sun 17-Jan-16 21:41:23

It isn’t till April so more of a spring wedding but I do like that red burnished thanks!
Although I do a french mani a lot I think i’d be too stressed out to do it for such an event grin and I hate pale pink with my pale blue skin tone!

I like your idea of a gold glitter ilive , I have a pinky gold glitter that I may try out..its this one. It is more shimmery than the picture.

www.zanedo.com/ciate-members-only-pp007

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sun 17-Jan-16 21:49:08

Glitter gold/pink. Gorgeous.

SquidTableau Sun 17-Jan-16 22:18:36

I did mine an 'old gold' kind of colour though my ring was titanium, I thought it looked subtle but more special than every day!

goddessofsmallthings Sun 17-Jan-16 22:20:40

To my mind a bright red would look garish but you could get away with a red that has a considerable amount of blue in it as per the photo provided by silver if your dress is a sleek and elegant Thirties style or similar - imo it would look out of place on a demure Grace Kelly/Kate Middleton number.

This kit is out of stock at Debenhams but is available on eBay at a considerably lower price (search Essie Bridal Bliss). Spiced tea rose is a gorgeous colour at any time of year: www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_154987100699_-1

This is also a particularly nice rose shade www.nailsinc.com/nail-polish/brompton-x_302/

My personal preference would be OPI's Altar Ego from the Soft Shades Collection. This picture doesn't do justice to it - it's almost holographic; an iridescent shimmer of soft heathery pinks and blues www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OPI-Nail-Polish-Lacquer-15ML-SOFT-SHADES-COLLECTION-/390631412800?var=&hash=item5af3725440:m:m4IFZo16kjdk1kBIv0QZyHQor

Leighton Denny's Butterfly Wings is similar - scroll down to see but again the photo doesn't do it justice and it's also cheaper on eBay. Both polishes would go beautifully with your bridesmaids' dresses: www.leightondennyexpertnails.com/nail-colour

FlatOnTheHill Sun 17-Jan-16 22:25:01

Keep them neutral colour. Go for a Nude shade.
Red nails on a bride looks trashy. Stay classy smile

goddessofsmallthings Sun 17-Jan-16 22:35:41

If you're going down the glitter trail invest in a bottle of Nails Inc Snow Globe as it's tiny little speckles enable you to create very subtle effects as well full on disco bling.

KateSpadeAddict Sun 17-Jan-16 22:51:32

I've got that OPI shade goddess don't know if I've ever actually used it. I am a bit of a hoarder when it comes to nail stuff! I'll try it out. I like the idea of that butterfly wings shade for my bridesmaid as I'll be doing her nails too. I also have nails inc electric avenue which adds a really delicate silver glitter over shades so may experiment a bit as I have a while yet!
My dress is def not 30s style...it's a dark Ivory satin princess shaped dress (ie very nipped in under my bust and then huge train etc. It looks strapless but I have an illusion netting from the top of the bust to my neck which makes a cap sleeve. The illusion neckline is all pearls and beading. Not everyones taste as could be described as a 'meringue' because of the sheer size of the skirt!
Thanks so much for the advice everyone - and thanks to no one for outwardly eye rolling at my definite first world problem smile

KateSpadeAddict Sun 17-Jan-16 22:52:55

I also like the idea of old gold squid thanks! I can see each of my nails being painted a different colour next weekend!

rubybleu Sun 17-Jan-16 23:18:44

I wore red (Opi Big Apple Red) but I had a winter wedding and my bridesmaids wore red and flower arrangements were red roses and Christmas foliage. I had someone say 'interesting that you went for red nails!' on the day but frankly I know myself well enough to have reasonable conviction that my red nails looked classy enough.

With bridesmaids in purple and a spring wedding, I'm not sure I'd go for red - a soft mauve might look very nice though?

goddessofsmallthings Mon 18-Jan-16 02:09:32

There's not a lot of difference between Altar Ego and Butterfly Wings but to my eye Leighton Denny's polish is more iridescent than OPI's.

The Nails Inc Snow Globe I have is the silver version which I now know to be exclusive to QVC. It's the middle polish in this picture - the speckles have sunk to the bottom of the bottle which is laying on its side. www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NAILS-INC-POLISH-SNOWGLOBE-KENSINGTON-CAVIAR-HYDE-PARK-COURT-CANVAS-BAG-BNIB-/301847168091?hash=item46477e445b:g:a9AAAOSwGotWkR7C

I have Electric Avenue and used it at Christmas to give festive silver tips to my crimson nails. With Snow Globe how much you shake the bottle determines how many tiny speckles of glitter you can paint on each nail and less is more for a sophisticated look.

This looks as if it's a gold version of my silver Snow Globe www.nailsinc.com/collections/slogan-bag-kit-2_1422/ but as your illusion neckline is pearl and you'll presumably be wearing pearl, silver, or white gold earrings, I would suggest you avoid gold on your nails. A dark ivory to match your dress (which sounds beautiful) with a sprinkling of Snow Globe speckles would look stunning, or opt for a dusky pink shade which also goes very well with ivory.

angelinalo Mon 18-Jan-16 03:00:22

I fully intended to have a classic nude manicure on my (non-winter!) wedding day. However I went on a night out a few nights before and painted my nails a bluey red (almost identical to the above photo). When it came to the wedding day my manicure was still perfect and I thought the contrast with the wedding dress just looked smashing. So I kept it and loved it! Photos looked brilliant grin

ThatsNotEvenAWord Mon 18-Jan-16 07:05:29

Instead of glitter, my shellac lady has pots of what looks like fine shimmery eyeshadow that she uses to do a fade. For my wedding I had a nude pink base with white/silverish shimmer, it was different but subtle

Bolshybookworm Mon 18-Jan-16 07:29:55

I used Rouge Noir for my wedding nails as it's my favourite nail colour and suits my skin tone. I wore an ivory 30s style dress and the colour was just the perfect contrast (to my eyes, at least). I also had coloured flowers- I'm such a rebel!
I'll be honest, I think a French manicure is v v dull for such a special day- go red!

Noideatobehad Mon 18-Jan-16 08:19:24

i toyed with red for my winter wedding but decided it would be too much so i went for silver with glitter instead

KateSpadeAddict Mon 18-Jan-16 17:32:05

So many ideas - thank you! Pale pink has been recommended a few times I just don’t think it suits my hands, which I know sounds really odd, I think they are too pale. Is that the benefit of snow globe over electric avenue do you think goddess ? To the control of amount of glitter applied?

I intend on wearing pearl studs as my only jewellery (and my rings of course!).

You guys don’t think that dark ivory and gold goes then?

Soft mauve could be good rubybleu but what shade? An exact match to my bridesmaid and then should she wear the same?

Can you tell I am avoiding all the important wedding jobs like phoning the organist to agonist over nail varnish? hmm

ChristineDePisan Tue 19-Jan-16 01:22:19

I like the idea of a subtle, pearlescent colour for your hands - then go mad for whatever you want on your toes wink

FashionLover1 Tue 19-Jan-16 13:00:50

I think it depends on your makeup. If you wear red lips, red nails would be suitable but if you wear something else, I would go for nude nails or something like this

KateSpadeAddict Tue 19-Jan-16 16:54:09

Lips will be pinky nude - very bare looking. I like the caviar nails fashion as I sometimes do them but could be a chip hazard on the day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now