Should I cut my hair short by myself?

(10 Posts)
Booboostwo Sun 17-Jan-16 19:16:13

Hope the title makes sense, not whether I should have my hair cut short but whether I should do it myself.

I have had short hair cuts before and liked them. For the past 5 years I have been cutting my own hair (moved to a new country couldn't be bothered to find a decent hairdresser and started experimenting). I have changed the fringe, cut layers in and gone from long styles to short bobs. It's worked out well so far and I am itching to try a short style but really worried that there won't be enough hair for a hairdresser to save me if I make a mess of it.

NNalreadyinuse Sun 17-Jan-16 19:18:46

I wouldn't personally. Going for a proper short haircut requires proper shaping. Would you not struggle to cut the back of your own hair?

Booboostwo Sun 17-Jan-16 19:46:20

The back is tough, I use two mirrors to see what I am doing but it's still a lot tougher than cutting someone else's hair.

I have very thick hair in a sort of layered bob at the moment and underneath it's cut very very short to try to keep it from puffing out too much. I could start with shaping that bit and if it was awful it would be hidden by the longer hair, if it was good I could cut the rest shorter.

amarmai Sun 17-Jan-16 20:15:04

is your hair straight or curly? as i can see a mistake showing more if straight. But hey, with the experience you've got under your belt , go for it!

Booboostwo Sun 17-Jan-16 20:29:54

Straight, but thick hairs and a lot of them, I am Greek. It will happily frizz up given half a chance!

Booboostwo Tue 19-Jan-16 11:07:48

I did it and it's not too bad (even if I say so myself):

Booboostwo Tue 19-Jan-16 11:11:17

The side view looks bulky but that's the shape of my weird scull! Not sure what to do about that. Front and back look OK I think.

NNalreadyinuse Tue 19-Jan-16 15:59:37

You did a good job. Well done - looks lovely

CreviceImp Tue 19-Jan-16 16:20:04

I would have another crack and get rid of the poofy mushroom. Shorter will look better.

IHaveBrilloHair Tue 19-Jan-16 16:21:50

Dd did and it looks great

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now