Caramel highlights on a shoe-string

(5 Posts)
PhoebeMcPeePee Sat 16-Jan-16 16:45:57

I've got very thick, straight (bra length) dark brown hair that looks frizzy, dull & frankly, shit sad. All through my 30's I had gorgeous chunky caramel highlights and my hair looked amazing but can't afford regular salon visits nowadays so gone au natural and just look bland.

I've never tried any sort of home hair-dye (excluding Sun-In c. 1989 grin) so desperately hoping there's a miracle product that is easy to use, will cover the few bits of grey that I can't keep pulling out & give me even half way towards the lovely swishy mane I used to have.

coolpatterngirl Sun 17-Jan-16 07:35:45

Keep an eye on groupon in your area. I often buy highlights as a deal at a different salon. Usually costs around £30 on Groupon vs £130 rrp.

SmileAndNod Sun 17-Jan-16 07:54:29

Do you have any mobile hairdressers near you? The girl that used to regularly do my hair in a well known salon decided to go it alone. My hair cost £90 last week (foils, roots, cut) as opposed to £170 three months ago in the salon.
Maybe worth checking out?

CurlsLDN Sun 17-Jan-16 09:25:09

Hi op, your hair sounds like mine! I haven't tried it, but one of the home dye brands does a 'bronde' kit that might be good?
Also, to reduce frizz and make your natural colour shine, try this at home keratin treatment www.superdrug.com/Free-From-Frizz/Free-From-Frizz-6-Week-Blow-Out-Treatment-Kit-Thick-Coarse/p/313301

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Sun 17-Jan-16 09:33:34

I would buy a light blonde dye (permanent) Look for dyes that say 'high lift'. I have brown hair and bought garnier ultra lift light blonde. (available in UK) Ignore the colour chart on the back as when bleach is added to brown hair it will lighten to a gingery caramel colour first. Mix up the solution and take small sections and rub the dye from root to end until saturated. Concentrate on doing a few delicate highlights around your face and in the top section of your hair. You can leave this on for upto an hour although the box will suggest around half an hour. A word of warning; do a test first by mixing up tiny equal parts of the dye and developer on a plate and apply to a small strand. Check the colour as it develops and decide if you like it when washed out and studied in natural light. I did this technique and I love it. The highlights dont have to be uniform but best if not too chunky and obvious. You can always add more later..If they come out a bit gingery, a decent purple shampoo will fix this. Cost me around £6 (and an afternoon faffing about in bathroom!) Good luck, I'm not a hairdresser, this just worked for me smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now