Help me find a wedding dress!

(20 Posts)
Clarabumps Fri 15-Jan-16 15:21:15

I've booked my wedding! 27th August this year!
Village hall, Humanist ceremony with 80 close family and friends. The budget is limited. About £500. I'm 34, 5ft 10, size 12 although I'm losing weight.

Shit bits: Big boobs (3 kids) so I can't go backless. I also don't suit 20's style.
Good bits: Good arms, small waist, toned legs,

I need all the help I can get.... I'm struggling to find something

sweetheart Fri 15-Jan-16 15:28:03

Have you tried:-
Phase Eight
Debenhams
John Lewis
House of Fraser
Monsoon
BHS
ASOS
Coast

???

NotSoSecret Fri 15-Jan-16 15:56:31

If you can get to any of These outlet stores, they have lovely ranges, most dresses up to £499. I had a look in the Kent store and had fabulous service.

Glitteryfrog Fri 15-Jan-16 16:38:54

Do you want white?
Length?
Do you want to look like a 'bride'?

Goodbetterbest Fri 15-Jan-16 17:06:58

I had mine made here http://whirlingturban.com/product-category/bridal-salon/
1950's style, lovely. I love it.

I still love it . Might get it dyed. Or get married again. smile

Dowser Fri 15-Jan-16 17:30:29

Now is the time to look around the stores while the sales are still on.

Also have a look on preloved, it's amazing how many dresses on there are unused. Wedding didnt go ahead for whatever reason

Clarabumps Fri 15-Jan-16 19:41:34

ooh theres a wed2b near me that opened today! I might pop along tomorrow.
Sweetheart, yes I've had a look at those and I don't like any dresses on their websites. I tried on a few in monsoon and they were just a bit meh. They were okay but nothing to write home about.

I don't mind not looking like a bride. I don't mind long or short.

I'd love one from whirling turban but I think it might be out of my budget. Any of those would be amazing. You should get it dyed. All the dresses are beautiful.
I'll go and have a look on pre loved. I had a look on eBay but most of the ones I saw were £800 for a second hand dress that needed cleaned. I know some of these dresses cost 3k and above but I think it's a mental amount of money to pay for a dress thats been altered.
Sorry..went on a tangent there.

FauxFox Fri 15-Jan-16 19:47:35

viv of holloway d whirling turban styles for a lot less £

jessplussomeonenew Fri 15-Jan-16 19:50:48

Do you have an Oxfam bridal store near you? Ours had loads of gorgeous wedding dresses for under £300.

cashmerecardigans Fri 15-Jan-16 21:13:43

Hi
Quite a few in budget on here

superbfairywren Sat 16-Jan-16 07:31:41

Jealous of the pp who had a whirling turban dress! Always wanted one. My wedding dress was from coast and it was great quality. To be honest you can get a dress for 500quid from a bridal boutique. Just call to book an appointment and ask f they have anything in your price range. I know lots of people who bought from a normal bridal shop and only paid up to 500pounds. They have sales and sell their sample dresses cheaper too.

Goodbetterbest Sat 16-Jan-16 10:44:45

I have the snow leopard dress and I'm sure it was less than £500 (five years ago). Can't see the prices on my phone. XHs outfit was far more expensive IIRC.

OnlyHereForTheCamping Sat 16-Jan-16 11:12:46

My wedding outfit was from Coast as well. I looked great!

Goodbetterbest Sat 16-Jan-16 15:30:13

I bought my friend's wedding dress from Coast. She (in Australia) found one she liked, I rang my local Coast outlet - they found one, vastly reduced (it had a make up mark on it) in Ireland and they sent it over to me. Cost about £80 IIRC (it was from their wedding range, not a standard dress). They were fantastic - so helpful and accommodating - and went to a lot of trouble to track it down. My friend, on a tight budget, got the dress she wanted. Fabulous service and a real bargain.

dibly Sat 16-Jan-16 21:03:05

Bargain and beautiful www.motasem.co.uk/collections/sample_sale/products/mistinguett-dress-1

calzone Sat 16-Jan-16 22:57:43

That is beautiful Dibly.

Clarabumps Sun 17-Jan-16 19:07:14

Hello again,
Well I went to Wed2b yesterday with my friend. Tried on 4 dresses and found the one! Yay! It's totally different to what I was wanting but I looked like a bride. Its gorgeous. That shop is so cheap and the gowns are fantastic quality. I bought the dress, underskirt and veil for £587!!
Delighted. Thanks for all your help.

calzone Sun 17-Jan-16 20:43:08

Oh Clara. How exciting.

Can you describe it to us?

Clarabumps Sun 17-Jan-16 21:09:40

I ended up with a sweetheart neckline, strapless and full tulle skirt. I really didn't like that style at all before I tried it on but it really suited me. It's a bit like Kate Middletons dress but without the sleeves.
I'm gobsmacked that I even picked it but I really did feel amazing in it. And I got a veil as well (which I wasn't sure about before i tried)

calzone Sun 17-Jan-16 22:20:51

Sounds gorgeous!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now