Grippy boots for ice

(21 Posts)
JapanNextYear Fri 15-Jan-16 13:21:40

I need some boots/shoes that will get me to and from work - 3 miles - without going arse over tip on ice. Grippy soles!

Also waterproof I would think, that would be good.

SirChenjin Fri 15-Jan-16 13:23:27

What about Yak Trax? Fab things - you just wear them over your normal boots/shoes? I'm terrified of falling over on the ice and snow but I just walk like normal in them.

Wolfiefan Fri 15-Jan-16 13:27:17

Yes yak trax. I wouldn't walk in snow without them!

MarvinKMooney Fri 15-Jan-16 13:28:41

I wholeheartedly second Yak Trax when it snows - I've got the Yak Trax Pro. The only thing is that they don't work on black ice or in heavy frost - just on compacted snow and thick 'white ice'.

Have you got any shoes or boots with thick cleated sole? Something like that might be better on frosty pavements. My Merrell boots work quite well.

Herrerarerra Fri 15-Jan-16 13:33:59

Marvin are the Merrells good on ice then? I have those, but in black, and I've not had to wear them on icy or frosty pavements yet but they're lethal on wet surfaces!

SirChenjin Fri 15-Jan-16 13:41:39

To be honest, I don't think there is a boot which will cope with actual ice - that's why climbers use crampons!

MarvinKMooney Fri 15-Jan-16 13:43:59

They're ok on frosty pavements, but I haven't found anything that works on black ice! Hate the blimmin stuff.

I'm surprised you find the Merrells slippery on wet surfaces - I haven't found that at all - very strange!

Pootles2010 Fri 15-Jan-16 13:44:05

Came on to say Yak Trax. They really are ace - I'm a complete chicken on ice, but these are great.

JapanNextYear Fri 15-Jan-16 14:26:02

I have got some really good hiking boots, that have taken me up all sorts, but they aren't brilliant on icy pavements, in fact they aren't really v grippy at all, although v comfortable.

I've used something like Yak Trax in the past but wouldn't have been very good on pavements where there are big tracks of no slippyness - then slippyness again.

Just something with a good grip to give me confidence and maybe with a bit of a fleecy lining....the merrels linked to look good

MitzyLeFrouf Fri 15-Jan-16 14:29:58

I use granny grippers like Yak Trax and the like.

Diddlydokey Fri 15-Jan-16 14:34:52

www.amazon.co.uk/Timberland-Teddy-Fleece-Fold-Down/dp/B00BCJYZ72/ref=sr_1_3?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1452868441&sr=1-3&keywords=timberland+earthkeepers

These are fab and toasty

CeeceeBloomingdale Fri 15-Jan-16 16:03:09

Ive just walked two miles in ice in these www.cottontraders.com/faux-fur-lined-boots/invt/aq10502 not very pretty but I change footwear once I'm at destination. Mine are six years old so they last well and must be quite grippy as i tried two other pairs of shoes first and fell over before I left my driveway

FrustratedFrugal Fri 15-Jan-16 16:20:50

I walk a few miles to work every day, we've had snow and ice all January. I mostly wear my Ilse Jacobsen short rubber boots (with woolen socks so that they are snuggly and warm) and they are usually grippy enough, but when it's really icy, I wear these non-slip ice grips. They are brilliant.

MarvinKMooney Fri 15-Jan-16 16:31:00

Frustrated - do they work on black ice?

I've just looked at the FAQ on the YakTrax website, and it recommends ice grips with a sort of gritty sole for slippery frosty pavements.

Sorry - I'm obsessed with black ice!

toffeeboffin Fri 15-Jan-16 16:42:13

I always thought it was arse over tit, not tip!

As you were.

FrustratedFrugal Fri 15-Jan-16 16:45:13

We only have regular ice atm but last March they worked beautifully when we had icy puddles. Black ice is very tricky though as it is so thin - the grips have steel studs just like snow tires (obligatory around here) and they work best when there is something they can sink into.

rubybleu Fri 15-Jan-16 17:03:05

I have the Merrell Decora Chants linked and they're not great on ice.

They are brilliantly warm though, it's -22 deg where we are at the moment and they've been fine.

SirChenjin Fri 15-Jan-16 17:06:43

I haven't seen the Sandy they mention - looks interesting though! I'm obsessed with ice and snow too, so anything that helps make the walk less treacherous is a good thing. Re Yak Trax - have a look on ebay as I found them cheaper (new, from an ebay shop) on there.

JapanNextYear Fri 15-Jan-16 17:15:23

seems to be both

arse over tit: instead of arse over tip. This phrase has the equivalent meaning of head over heels. The mutation of tip, used in the sense of the utmost part of the body, into tit seems to have taken place around the late 1960s, and probably resulted simply from the logical equation of two slang terms for parts of the body.

blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2012/03/are-there-casess-of-chinese-whispers-in-language/

Great suggestions - ta - I might go for the cotton traders on the grounds they seem very cheap!

MarvinKMooney Fri 15-Jan-16 18:28:39

Failing all else, get a child in a buggy. I find them very useful for staying upright not helpful .

MaryMarigold Fri 15-Jan-16 19:18:20

I have these from Clarks.

http://www.clarks.co.uk/p/26110921

Fur-lined, waterproof, non-slip and not too fugly imo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now