Eye cream, for mid-30s under £20

(32 Posts)
Methenyouplus4 Wed 13-Jan-16 22:59:14

I've looked at a few recommended in beauty articles/ blogs but always worried they are just promoting them for the £££.

Anything you guys could recommend?

CookieDoughKid Wed 13-Jan-16 23:18:24

I would invest in something more of a hi-tech face serum like www.youtube.com/watch?v=66XZmP2mgLU NIOD rather than waste money on an eye cream.

Another alternative is a pure serum like Neal's Yard pure rosehip or Argan oil (safe to use all over face) or try Boots no.7 Protect and Perfect range if you are a newbie and want a decent introduction to more quality skin and eye care ranges.

Wolpertinger Wed 13-Jan-16 23:35:26

Seriously don't bother.

There is no special eye cream that does anything - the skin there is just skin. They are ALL just just promoting them for the £££

At mid 30s best thing you can do is make sure you are wearing broadspectrum SPF every day.

If you want to spend some cash I'd agree with CookieDough about Niod, if you want to spend slightly less money I'd go for the same company's more mainstream Hylamide range. For your whole face grin

Methenyouplus4 Thu 14-Jan-16 05:56:06

Thank you. I have a cheap serum from Aldi I bought the other day but to be honest a bit clueless.

I got pulled by someone at make-up counter the other day and she raced about how crucial an eye cream was at my age to keep skin good. It wasn't a hard sell as they didn't actually sell eyecreams so made me think that I really needed one.

Methenyouplus4 Thu 14-Jan-16 06:05:36

Just been reading about NIOD- gets good reviews but quite expensive (compared to my aldi purchase!) How much would I apply and how long would the £38 bottle last roughly?

CookieDoughKid Thu 14-Jan-16 11:11:33

The NIOD bottle would last several months as a few drops go a long way. It would be worthwhile you researching brands. As previous poster said, the company's mainstream Hylamide brand is worth looking into for entry/beginners.

For me, my New Years resolution is to buy one quality item rather than cheap drugstore brands whose ingredients are cheap and inaffective. I'd rather spend with a company that invests in skin science and research and looks to provide a quality product.

At the end of the day, we all age but IMO but it's worth taking care of yourself to keep the appearance of wrinkles at bay! Also, a quality SPF is a MUST. Not just for UVB sunburn rays but also check at back of bottle for FULL UVA star rating which penetrates deep within the dermis.

Wolpertinger Thu 14-Jan-16 11:32:06

If you are just stepping into the world of skin care and have £30 burning a hole in your pocket grin what is you normal routine? And what issues are you really wanting to address?

It's all very well us giving you suggestions to spend £30 now when you are flush but if there is something else that really bothers you and you'll never buy another bottle, then the NIOD prob is a mistake - we could do you a whole good quality cheaper routine instead if that's a top priority. NIOD is the real deal though.

Definitely not eye cream though smile

Chicinwellies Thu 14-Jan-16 14:16:24

Hmm, its 'just' under £30 but its the first eye cream Ive ever bought the same one of again. Im 37, outdoorsy, and need a wonder product! Love this. [[ www.marksandspencer.com/merveillance-eye-cream-15ml/p/p22336625?extid=ps_gglpla_UK_Gen_,Beauty%20_PLABeauty%20--%3E%20Skincare%20--%3E%20Face%20Cream%20--%3E%20Eye%20Cream_M&S%20Merveillance®%20Eye%20Cream%2015ml&s_kwcid=AL!2750!3!{creative}!{matchtype}!{placement}!{network}!{product_partition_id}!&ef_id=VOxXyAAAAKjXGra1:20160114141516:s nuxe at M&S]]

Chicinwellies Thu 14-Jan-16 14:17:08

Sorry, silly link www.marksandspencer.com/merveillance-eye-cream-15ml/p/p22336625?extid=ps_gglpla_UK_Gen_,Beauty%20_PLABeauty%20--%3E%20Skincare%20--%3E%20Face%20Cream%20--%3E%20Eye%20Cream_M&S%20Merveillance®%20Eye%20Cream%2015ml&s_kwcid=AL!2750!3!{creative}!{matchtype}!{placement}!{network}!{product_partition_id}!&ef_id=VOxXyAAAAKjXGra1:20160114141516:s
Nuxe

handslikecowstits Thu 14-Jan-16 14:20:48

I have ultra sensitive eyes and found that the Superdrug stuff was good. www.superdrug.com/B-/B-Vitalised-Eye-Cream-15ml/p/574351

burnishedsilver Thu 14-Jan-16 14:21:11

The only eye cream Ive had any success with it LRP Redermic R eyes. I really feel the skin looks better. Every other one I tried just left me with puffy over moisturised eyes.

Methenyouplus4 Thu 14-Jan-16 15:26:33

Thank you folks.

Woltpert- thank you. When I actually thought about it, it's a bit embarrassing. On a night, I just wash face without whatever shower gel we happen to be using and swipe cotton buds under eyes after to get rid of subsequent panda mascara eyes. In the morning I swipe over micellar (sp?)water over my face.

I do actually have decent make-up (Nars, Mac etc) and use Clinique city block but again, eleven I thought about it, realised they must all be about 6 years old before I took a big pay cut for a less stressful job.

In terms of my skin, well, I went and properly looked in mirror for this as look at face couple of times each day when putting on make-up but don't really think about it.

Cheers are great, forehead is starting to get fine lines with two quite deep ones between eyebrows. When I put make-up around nose, it looks a bit flaky and make-up highlights this and almost sits on too of it. On my nose, chin and (to a lesser extent) forehead, I have quite a few black heads. Really tiny ones but even if I gently squeeze them, they are just back again the next day as in certain areas the pores are very enlarged.

I'm happy to buy more expensive, decent products gradually but would be great to have some cheap and cheery recommendat ions too so I can get started on decent skincare asap. Also with better/more expensive stuff, if you could direct me towards what I should prioritise and then i'll know what to get first.

Many, many thanks. Feel I use to be a bit more clued up on this but life/kids means i've put my own needs at the bottom of a long list for a fair while (din't we all)?

Methenyouplus4 Thu 14-Jan-16 15:28:38

Oh dear, sorry about typos!

Wolpertinger Thu 14-Jan-16 15:55:47

OK - I would say you want a decent non-foaming cleanser, a salicylic toner, a basic moisturiser and SPF for day time.

Stop washing your face with shower gel - it doesn't like it. The shower gel will be too harsh for your face and stripping all the natural oils off and upsetting your face. This is also why cleansers shouldn't foam.

I've got oily skin and so can tell you nothing about hot cloth cleansing/oil cleansing/making your own cleanser/balm cleansing etc which lots of people are fans of. I am also too lazy to do any thing that takes too long. You don't need to double cleanse, neither does your face need to be so clean it squeaks.

Cheap option - Cetaphil. Slightly nicer options but still in the bland category - Lush Ultrabland, Avene Gentle Cleanser.

Next stop - they almost certainly are not blackheads, at least the ones on your nose aren't. They are sebaceous filaments and as you have noticed you are never ever ever going to get rid of them. Your pores naturally make a filament - you can squueze it out but by tomorrow there's a new one. The tops oxidize and turn black so they look like blackheads.

Do not lose hope - a salicylic toner will dissolve in the oil and exfoliate off the black bits. You still have the filaments but you can't see them. Given you already like Clinique, I'd go for Clinique Mild Clarifying Lotion - do not touch any of the other toners with a bargepole though!

Next moisturiser - this bit doesn't matter that much. It should be your smallest spend. Pick one you like grin I am obsessed with Cerave.

SPF - you need UVA and UVB protection summer and winter - again going with the Clinique I'd go for City Block.

One you've done that and are happy with it, if you really want to do line prevention and glow then you are missing retinol and serum. For serum the serious science on the market is with Hylamide/NIOD. But real line prevention would be from a retinol like LRP Redermic R. There are a few more bits and bobs but 99% of line prevention is SPF, retinol and acid (in your case the salicylic)

Anything else about stem cells, magic serums, essences or oils is just beauty company gubbins basically. Also look at your pores from the distance other people look at them - suddenly they look like normal pores smile

burnishedsilver Thu 14-Jan-16 16:59:55

Forget the eye cream for the moment and start cleansing properly.

Methenyouplus4 Thu 14-Jan-16 20:45:23

Thank you so much for taking time to reply!

I actually bought some Cetaphil the other day after reading a bit more about skin care routines so that's a good starting point.

Saliciyic toner- not especially bothered about Clinique, just what I happened to have. Are there better ones you would recommend? Is that a similar think to pixie or something called (can't remember name exactly ) nip &glow dragons blood? Often see these discussed on FB page I just joined but had no idea what they are. Will purchase whichever one you advise as really hate 'black heads' (though I now stand corrected!

Moisturiser - always just ought magazines for free ones! Generally liked REN and Balance Me but never use unless skin freakishly dry but will look at one you advised.

The things you mention in retinol/ serum, are they brand names or ingredients? As I have no idea what they are (sorry!) When and how often should I apply them? Is it to certain areas or whole face?

Many thanks again. Feel I have been rather negligent of my skin for well over five years and will be nice to give it some TLC.

Wolpertinger Thu 14-Jan-16 21:32:26

HI - once I'd finished posting I realised I'd misread the bit about Clinique. However the Clinique is a good product and although a bottle is expensive it lasts for ages - prob about 6 months - so works out as really good value.

You're right, the other alternative would be the Nip and Fab Dragons Blood Pads.

Retinol is an ingredient - the hardcore prescription variety which you may see people talking about on here is Retin A which you can easily buy from internet pharmacies. A more sensible route is retinol which is a much milder product. Numerous companies chuck a bit in to claim their product has magic powers but as with everything in beauty, there aren't many that are seriously formulated. French Pharmacy Brands like Avene, La Roche Posay and Vichy are usually sensible players - LRP Redermic R is one of the best retinol products, Vichy has another caller Lift Activ something or other. Avene has another.

Retinol should always be at night and with SPF - how important this is with retinol instead of prescription Retin A is debatable but it can make you skin more sun sensitive. It's often in night creams for this reason.

I'd sort cleanser, toner, SPF and moisturiser first and then when you know you can keep to a routine consider retinol and serum. Also your skin doesn't like too many changes at once.

Methenyouplus4 Thu 14-Jan-16 21:51:47

Brilliant. Thank you again for all the advice. Next stop then is decent toner.

PitPatKitKat Fri 15-Jan-16 02:43:27

Agree with NIOD CAIS. Results are unbelievable. Took 5 years off me in about a week and the improvements haven't stopped yet.

Fine lines at corner of eyes- gone. Mouth lines- gone. Acne scars and hyperpigmentation on cheeks- faded so much a wee bit of sheer blush disguises them. Dark shadows under eyes- fade to a tiny bit in the inner corner. My skin has a sort of glowy sheen to it now.

I used to do the whole double cleanse, acid tone, hydrating spritz, serum, moisturiser, facial oil, eye cream type routine. Plus special night treatments, face masks a few times a week and a monthly facial etc. Got good results with that, really, really good results. Over the course of about a year, I got my skin to a really good place. It looked well cared for and smoother.

But after a few weeks of CAIS, I am giving away or even junking so much stuff. Because I just cannot be bothered using it anymore because by comparison it is a total waste of time and energy.

So if you are just at the start of building a decent skincare routine (which is where I was this time last year) I would honestly say just skip building up a standard routine and just go straight to NIOD. You will save a fortune. The results will be better. Much better.

A bottle of CAIS lasts at least a couple of months, as I am just under half way through mine and I've had it about a month.

PitPatKitKat Fri 15-Jan-16 02:58:46

Seriously, a cleanser to take off your make up, CAIS, either NIOD MMHC or Hylamide Sub-Q as a hydrating serum and a moisturising SPF or moisturiser with SPF. That's it.

I spent a fortune and loads of time last year and wish I had just been able to cut to the chase.

ThenLaterWhenItGotDark Fri 15-Jan-16 09:57:50

Hijacking slightly to say my sebaceous filaments on my nose are gone gone gone after the Dragon's Blood pads. Generally I like the SA pads better (am dry and wrinkly so feel they are more suited to my skin) but as they were "less than half price" I bought the DB ones as well, and voila' my nose is as smooth as a baby's bottom suddenly.

I keep stroking it like a nutter actually

CookieDoughKid Fri 15-Jan-16 11:27:22

Does DECIEM do sales or gift pack deals as their NIOD range is expensive. Where do you ladies (gents) buy yours from?

CookieDoughKid Fri 15-Jan-16 11:28:12

I bought my two bottles from the USA.

Methenyouplus4 Fri 15-Jan-16 12:18:20

Then later- where we're they buy one get one half price.

Thank you all again- this is a real education!

handslikecowstits Fri 15-Jan-16 12:59:21

Is NIOD CAIS any good for foreheads? That's where I have the most wrinkles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now