Is this dress right for a formal work dinner dance?

(15 Posts)
RubbishRobotFromTheDawnOfTime Wed 13-Jan-16 22:06:31

This navy beaded Adrianna Papell one.

I bought it online yesterday and now I'm worried it's not formal evening-y enough.

If it's right... which accessories. Silver heeled strappy sandals with silver clutch?

I don't go to this kind of event ever very often.

Avpixie27 Wed 13-Jan-16 22:12:59

Its a gorgeous dress, it covers everything that would make it nonprofessional, as you said its for a works dinner/dance. I would pair it with either black heels or silver but not ones that are so strappy it looks like lines on a foot, if you go silver shoes then silver clutch or small over shoulder, if you go black then same. With regards to jewellery if you have a short length chunky chain then go with that and either a silver or black statement bring and simple bracelet of matching colour

Avpixie27 Wed 13-Jan-16 22:14:05

Ignore comment about black shoes, as my phone didnt show that it was navy

FadedRed Wed 13-Jan-16 22:17:42

It's lovely and would be just right for your formal 'do'. Silver accessories would look good with it, or same colour. I'd go with silver TBH.

clippityclop Wed 13-Jan-16 22:18:43

It's beautiful, you'll be gorgeous. Something very similar was suggested as suitable for a reception with Royalty by one of the ladies who know about these things in a recent thread in Style and Beauty!

tryingtocatchthewind Wed 13-Jan-16 22:19:40

Beautiful and yes navy and silver pair nicely together

Chocolateteabag Wed 13-Jan-16 22:19:58

That is a lovely dress - and yes I would have worn that to a formal dinner dance when I used to do that type of thing

I think you can go either silver or black - either pointed toe or simple straps like in the picture.
V simple jewellery with a beaded dress as you've got a lot going on.

RubbishRobotFromTheDawnOfTime Wed 13-Jan-16 22:26:34

great, thank you all - that's reassuring. I'm not easy to dress up as I'm a 14/16 (easier now than when I was a 22/24 last year though!), big non-perky boobs (thanks kids) and hair somewhere in between shoulder and chin length. Not naturally glamourous.

It's DH's new job and I don't want to show him up grin

Dowser Wed 13-Jan-16 22:27:31

It's beautiful.

Enjoy.

Nettletheelf Wed 13-Jan-16 23:01:04

Yes, you will look great. It's a good choice. 24 people are looking at it on the HoF website and I bet they are all mumsnetters!

PingPongBat Wed 13-Jan-16 23:04:17

Looks perfect to me - long, elegant, bit of sparkle. Quite jealous actually!

SanityClause Wed 13-Jan-16 23:10:19

There were 32 when I looked, Elf!

RubbishRobotFromTheDawnOfTime Wed 13-Jan-16 23:28:55

Sorry everyone I bought literally the last one! Hope it fits.

Re trying to glam my brown bob up a bit, since the dress is 1920s inspired I'm thinking maybe style hair that way? I was planning to get a cut and blow dry the day of the do so could get the stylist to do some waves and/or use an accessory like this band or these slides.

Or could that be too fancy dress?

RubbishRobotFromTheDawnOfTime Wed 13-Jan-16 23:31:56

Maybe like this, with one of those slides.

Avpixie27 Wed 13-Jan-16 23:44:59

That would really pull the look together, a simple hair clip thats also silver would work on the side, a band would make it look too 1920 fancy dress. Simple and elegant is what wins out

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now